MG2R

Re: "You did well!", "I'm not mad" and other stuff like that

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:05 am

In the past few days, the Foundation has gotten quite the load of crap. People telling them how much they s*cked and that they hated the team who apparently couldn't even handle a little product launch, etc, etc.

Well, I am NOT mad. I thought it'd be nice to open a thread here to let Eben, Liz, James and the others know that there are also people that appreciate what they're trying to do and what they are going through to get it done.

So, in short: THANK YOU for being awesome! You rock!

max1zzz

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 am

I agree, the rpi team did awesome, they where there to answer questions and the rpi site didn't crash even once, the rpi team handled everything perfectly (the same cannot be said for rs or farnwell)

Lynbarn

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:41 am

max1zzz said:

I agree, the rpi team did awesome, they where there to answer questions and the rpi site didn't crash even once, the rpi team handled everything perfectly (the same cannot be said for rs or farnwell)

The promised RPF mailing list email that never arrived for many (including me) was a little disappointing, and could perhaps have been handled better, but in the greater scheme of things, it is no more than that, and yes the RPF team were working frenetically in the background to keep things going, so more power to them and thanks to all of you.

To be fair to RS and Farnell, even though they had been warned, I don't think they anticipated the demand would be anything like it was (did any of us?), and also, think of the impact it will have had on the rest of their business - the downtime from the website crashed could have cost them very dearly in loss of their regular sales business.

All in all, we should be greatful and pleased that at last, the 'Pi is on its way...

toxibunny

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 pm

I wasn"t really expecting to get one in the first batch, so it"s all basically good news for me. I was up at 6 and had the same confusion as everyone else, so it"s not as if I didn"t try. Had a bit of fun joining in the DDOS, followed along on twitter, etc.

The good news is the RAM upgrade on the model A, and the partnerships making future production a lot quicker. The model A upgrade is excellent news, actually - It means people can get their hands on a non-RAM-hindere

I"ll probably wait a bit (as I would have had to do anyway under the previous distribution scheme) and then get a model A. In the meantime, we"ll hear more about prices/delivery to various countries, and exactly what"s going on, and I"ll have a bit more programming practice time.

More good news is the sheer level of interst, and worldwide publicity

(Cut/paste error here): d raspi at a price lower than the level at which import duties were to kick in...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Lynbarn said:

max1zzz said:

The promised RPF mailing list email that never arrived for many (including me) was a little disappointing, and could perhaps have been handled better, but in the greater scheme of things, it is no more than that, and yes the RPF team were working frenetically in the background to keep things going, so more power to them and thanks to all of you.

To be fair to RS and Farnell, even though they had been warned, I don't think they anticipated the demand would be anything like it was (did any of us?), and also, think of the impact it will have had on the rest of their business - the downtime from the website crashed could have cost them very dearly in loss of their regular sales business.

All in all, we should be greatful and pleased that at last, the 'Pi is on its way...

It took much longer to send the emails out than expected, so some didn't make it, so sorry about that. And the demand once launched was, well, words fail here. Really quite high?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Kokoro

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:44 pm

So many projects for so many things around the world never get to this stage.  It can be argued that going on sale is the biggest hurdle any project has to overcome.

I dont know what else I can say that hasnt already been said.  Everyone who worked on Raspberry Pi deserves all the rewards.

Chromatix

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:55 pm

I certainly agree to the extent that R-Pi is not the one to have dropped the ball here.

A couple of tweets during Thursday and Friday would have been nice - to give *some* idea of what the heck was going on, and to confirm that the entire team had not succumbed to acute liver cirrhosis overnight - but ultimately demand was overwhelming and exceeded all reasonable expectations (from outside, anyway).

I do hope however that a few boards have been put aside for people putting distros and hardware projects together, and for the Foundation themselves to work with.  I don't think Gert et al would find having to wait in the queue at all amusing.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Andre_P

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 pm

RS Has a Twitter presence this is their response as to the level of hits on the site

"we encountered unprecedented demand, yes. ^JS"

Hey this means that the word has got out there and it's a success, I can wait for the board and the entire team has done a superb job

walney

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Chromatix said:

...  I don't think Gert et al would find having to wait in the queue at all amusing.

Well, at least Gert has fixed his alpha board (see other thread, somewhere, today)

jahim

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Well it's definitely popular. Within five minutes I had people commenting on a Facebook post that I haven't spoken to in a fair while, and one of them lives in Australia!

That said, I've been trying to hold out getting too engaged with it until it seemed feasible that I would be able to actually get my hands on one given how far discussion on it has spread, but I can wait no longer.... gimme gimme gimme! *frenzy*  

Chris.Rowland

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:55 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the confirmation emails were blocked by spam filters.

Jessie

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:40 pm

These people put their house on the line, and put up a lot of their own time to make this happen.  Not to mention those to stuck their necks out at Broadcom to get what they have gotten.  All this so that they could listen to a bunch of [wingers] complain about the decisions they made, and various other [stuff].  A lot of work has gone into this, and there have been many other projects like this that never made it.  The foundation and the people that have worked with the foundation all deserve praise for what has been accomplished so far, and if you ever have the chance to buy them a beer or some lunch then do it.

Because I would have quit some time agao if I had to answer the emails and the twitter account that Liz has to.

[Mod edited post for swearing - Michael]

phyt

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:48 pm

MG2R said:

In the past few days, the Foundation has gotten quite the load of crap. People telling them how much they s*cked and that they hated the team who apparently couldn"t even handle a little product launch, etc, etc.

Well, I am NOT mad. I thought it"d be nice to open a thread here to let Eben, Liz, James and the others know that there are also people that appreciate what they"re trying to do and what they are going through to get it done.

So, in short: THANK YOU for being awesome! You rock!

+1 i love what you have done.

arm2

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 pm

+1 i love what you have done.

toxibunny

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Spam filter, huh? *goes to check*

...bingo! Thanks
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Spam, it's pink and it's oval
Spam, I buy it at the Mobil
Spam, it's made in Chernobyl
Spam
When I was a child
My family was so poor
They didn't have the finer things
In life to eat
So they had a plan
In a big blue can
The government substitute
For meat, it was
Spam
To get me to eat it at dinner
They said I'd grow up like Bruce Jenner
He was a winner
That never knew defeat
And when he got hungry
When he got hungry
He cracked open that special treat
It was
Spam
S P A M
Don't you know it's my best friend
S P A M
Again and again and again and again
S P A M
Don't you know it's my best friend
S P A M
Again and again and again and again
So go and forget your O S C A R
There's one meat by-product
That's best by far
It's
Spam, everybody

melikescheese

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:38 pm

It's not their fault the servers crashed... The BBC showing it on the 6 o' clock national news didn't help though

bredman

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:40 pm

I think that the foundation did very well. A lot of people were unhappy with the decisions last week, but the foundation had to do something drastic because of the overwhelming demand.

Some of the abuse on Twitter was shocking. I don't know how Liz puts up with it. The sheer venom and hatred was palpable, some tweets would be illegal for me to quote because of the language that they contain.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks, guys. The stuff on Twitter (and the stuff in my inbox, which was in much the same vein but longer) was the direct reason for my going silent on Thursday and most of Friday; I thought it was best for people to have a chance to calm down. I don't get paid for this stuff (quite the opposite, as the people pointing out the state of my mortgage above mentioned), and so I decided that I wasn't going to spend any more time being called things I can't repeat here.

It was, from my point of view, the right decision. Twitter has turned all nice again, most (cough) of the people here are being pretty reasonable, and I don't think my refusing to spend two days dealing with that kind of **** has done us all any harm.

Have to admit, though, it's given me a bit of a knock, and has made me think very hard about whether I want to continue doing this in the long term.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

MG2R

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:20 pm

liz said:

Have to admit, though, it's given me a bit of a knock, and has made me think very hard about whether I want to continue doing this in the long term.

Don't give up, Liz! You're doing great! Sure, there are a-holes out there that shout loud, but most of us have full appreciation for what you (all) are doing!

PS: 9+2 != 10

billybob

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:44 pm

liz said:

Go Liz! No point wondering about that. The only mistake made was not to offload more to other potential volunteers. There would have been people amongst the crowd who could have helped plan the retail side. Just as there will be volunteers who can help other forward planning and delivery. Engineers should be doing the engineering, (keep going Eben, Gert et al). Engineers are not good at delegating or marketing or selling.

In the end, you have the potential to leave a legacy behind not a bad taste in your mouth. You few started something and shouldn't feel like you have to do it all. The bigger it gets the more people need to be involved and the less you should have to do.

liz

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:55 pm

We are employing our first salaried person later this month - she's lovely, and she'll be dealing with the admin and the shop, which takes a huge amount of load off (you have no idea how time-consuming the stickers are - she'll also be dealing with shirts, mugs, brollies, key rings and all that jazz). I'm sure I'll buck up in a couple of days; and a lot of your emails have been *beyond* lovely. I think there's a stupid cognitive dissonance thing where you tend to pay much more attention to the shockingly awful ones (there have been many, many more super-nice mails) than they merit. I probably only need a few days to rationalise my way back into cheerfulness again!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 am

liz said:

We are employing our first salaried person later this month - she's lovely, and she'll be dealing with the admin and the shop, which takes a huge amount of load off (you have no idea how time-consuming the stickers are - she'll also be dealing with shirts, mugs, brollies, key rings and all that jazz). I'm sure I'll buck up in a couple of days; and a lot of your emails have been *beyond* lovely. I think there's a stupid cognitive dissonance thing where you tend to pay much more attention to the shockingly awful ones (there have been many, many more super-nice mails) than they merit. I probably only need a few days to rationalise my way back into cheerfulness again!

Are you giving her hazard pay? I hope you are at least supplying her with asbestos undies and anti-troll cream

scep

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:02 am

I posted this on the blog, but it bears repeating here. Because it's true :

The Raspberry Pi Story

Some time ago, a small group of people noticed a problem. Instead of bitching and moving on – like the rest of us do – they decided to get off their backsides and do something about it.

They spent the next six years working hard in their spare time on the project. They spent lots of their own money and some even gave up their jobs. They developed, designed and built a brilliant, unique, affordable computer the size of a credit card. They didn’t do it to make money and they didn’t do it for fame. They did it because they believed that they could make a difference. Whether it will remains to be seen, but based on the unprecedented – unimaginable – interest they have done something very right.

So despite all the hiccups, all I can say to the Raspberry Pi Foundation is: Thank you very much. You’ve done good.

[If any Hollywood directors would like to use this when they film "The Raspberry Pi Story" then it's CC Attrib ]

[edit]Took all the grumpy bits out to make it happy

Return to “Off topic discussion”