PhilS

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Via twitter:

@RSElectronics I registered early, ~6.10am, but I haven't heard anything? I believe there are quite a few others with the same problem...

@pstrongproject I understand. Unfortunately we have no further information here. The FAQ will be soon updated with more info. ^JS

davehiggins21

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:26 pm

I registered with RS on Weds am and have heard nothing - I have bought stuff from them in the past without being a company.

Registered with Farnell late on Wednesday  and got an email from Farnell today and have ordered one - didn't get an indication of delivery except that it said 30 days but the price of £24.55 (no delivery charged) seemed very reasonable. Will just have to wait and see.

skooby

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:32 pm

davehiggins21 said:

I registered with RS on Weds am and have heard nothing - I have bought stuff from them in the past without being a company.

Registered with Farnell late on Wednesday  and got an email from Farnell today and have ordered one - didn't get an indication of delivery except that it said 30 days but the price of £24.55 (no delivery charged) seemed very reasonable. Will just have to wait and see.

Thats before VAT of £4.91 giving a total of £29.46

adlambert

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Based on reports it would appear that some registrations of interest didn't make it through whilst the servers were under max load on Wednesday morning. Makes me wonder what kind of message queue tech is employed.

But there is not point in being critical of RS and Farnell. Neither of these are equipped to deal with this kind of rush, and neither should be expected to scale up systems for the sake of a one off event lasting a few hours.

The technology needed to deal with a first come first serve rush event like this is only really employed by the event ticket sellers - like Ticketmaster. One possible solution would be to use Ticketmaster. A code could be issued to the lucky first come who managed to hook a free socket, and this code could be later redeemed for  PI from a distribution partner. Of course Ticketmaster would have wanted their pound of flesh, but I'm sure a charity could have negotiated £1 per transaction deal. Would Ticketmaster do that for less than £10K ? Doubt it.

But using a component supplier who normally only work with a steady dribble of web site traffic was always going to be a problem, and in the circumstances I think that they have both done OK. Although I'm a bit concerned about Farnell taking payments for stock they didn't hold.

Nexy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:41 pm

khulat, sorry, I owe you an apology for the tone of my crystal balls post. I let your use of sarcasm redirect my frustration towards you, and that may have translated to a combative and less appropriate tone. I hope my slightly bawdy sense of humour did not cause you any offence, but I should have remembered where I am and that tone can be easily misinterpreted online. I'll let the original post stand as is, but please know that my intention was not to offend.

riggsre

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Well I went to this site:

http://www.newark.com/jsp/sear.....tt=83T1943

And did this:

Did I mess up?

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Nope no mess up, that is exactly why the RPF chose to partner up with distributors April 3, might seem like a long time to some, but realistically, we talking about the amount of time it will take to get the next batch a spot in the production line, made, tested, and shipped out to the distributor (and all the way to America in your case ) Not that bad a time frame.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:39 pm

RS's UK 'register your interest' web page let's you submit but errors when it can't find the success page to display.

Their webmonkeys obviously don't have 'testing' in their vocab.

walney

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:54 pm

nmcc said:

RS's UK 'register your interest' web page let's you submit but errors when it can't find the success page to display.

Their webmonkeys obviously don't have 'testing' in their vocab.

I disagree... I think RS have been very 'testing.'

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:58 pm

damn this forum needs a LIKE button!  :D

drgeoff

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm another one among quite a few who thought they had a registration with RS but have heard nothing from them since.  Actually I had two registration successful pages.  One within the first few minutes and a second one certainly within the first half hour when I tried to search again after logging into my existing RS account.  That registration page came up pre-filled in with my details but an old phone number which I corrected and submitted. (It wasn't an attempt to order two RPs.)

There have been many other posts critical of what happened but here are two points to which i haven't seen satisfactory answers.

1.  Despite the oft repeated "initial batch is limited to one" mantra, how was that supposed to be co-ordinated between the two suppliers?  I don't see anything in place that tried to stop anyone from ordering from RS and Farnell.

2.  It is clear that there was a lack of communication between the Foundation and and RS at least. viz:

2a.  The RS registration page initially required that a company name be given.  The form was rejected without it.  The Foundation surely knew that many of the potential buyers were private individuals.

2b.  The Foundation thought that RS would be taking orders.  Evidence is the "wrong page" tweet.

I'm not party to what happened behind the scenes so I don't know how much of the fiasco was attributable to incompetence and where any blame lies.  However I think that if the launch logistics had received 50% of the effort that went into the launch PR then things would have been substantially smoother .

I'm not critical of the PR.  If I had been one of the people who had put up the money for the initial batch then I would have been taking every opportunity to lessen the chance - however remote it might seem now - of having RPs left unsold.

JonB

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:19 pm

welshblob said:

JonB said:

What I am surprised about is that the Foundation should choose to go with a pair of firms that - on the face of it - sell only to businesses. This is bad news for the consumer when things go wrong, as I believe your rights are different as a business than as an individual. Both RS and Farnell are not really set up as retail organisations, whereas with the "only 1 Pi one per address" rule, who do they think are going to buy? Not businesses, that is for sure.

I think the licensed model is a great idea, but the choice partner leaves much to be desired.

I think your have to look at the bigger picture though as this is not just about launch day sales, its about those companies funding the manufacture of the boards and also have a global distribution network. Yes I completely agree that they are not retail consumer orientated websites and will not be used to "sales day" type traffic. The situation I expect will get better and once this enters a steady state type operation. At that point I expect I'll be able to pop down to my local RS trade counter and buy one no problem (instead of being treated like the scum of the earth for not being in the trade).

Fair point welshblob... we can but hope, eh?

To be honest I expected the DDoS effect on this one. I was only cross with myself for thinking I'd actually be one of the lucky 10,000. It reminds me of the buying frenzy over the HP tablet fire sale last year... anyway I support the licensed manufacture & sale approach, although I do see that the £22 computer is now £30 with VAT and Farnell's expensive shipping. Oh well... roll on the "official" cases!

Chris.Rowland

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:14 pm

I don't think that Farnell's delivery charges are at all excessive.  It's £3 plus VAT. A lot of sites charge far more.

robleady

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:46 pm

drgeoff said:

2.  It is clear that there was a lack of communication between the Foundation and and RS at least. viz:

2a.  The RS registration page initially required that a company name be given.  The form was rejected without it.  The Foundation surely knew that many of the potential buyers were private individuals.

2b.  The Foundation thought that RS would be taking orders.  Evidence is the "wrong page" tweet.

I'm not party to what happened behind the scenes so I don't know how much of the fiasco was attributable to incompetence and where any blame lies.  However I think that if the launch logistics had received 50% of the effort that went into the launch PR then things would have been substantially smoother .

I think these are all very valid points, and I've no doubt the Foundation will be taking things up with RS when the dust settles, if they haven't already.

From the evidence I've seen, both from Tweets made by people who'd spoken to RS, and other sources, RS had never intended to start sales on the 29th - the date was 5th March.

Whilst the Foundation may have told someone at RS to expect lots of traffic, I'm reasonably certain that message didn't get through to the numerous teams behind the scenes who manage the websites, servers, networks etc.  I could post more details on that here, but I'd probably get in to trouble...

I too managed to register on the RS website at just past 6am, and have heard nothing since.  No email, German or otherwise, in my Inbox or Spam folder.  A registration my son did much later in the day did get an auto reply...   RS's website states that those people who successfully registered, should have received an email by 2nd March - maybe one will eventually come, but in the meantime I've preordered with Farnell - whose website now at least seems to be in much better shape than it was on Wednesday !

Cheers,
Rob

JonB

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Chris Rowland said:

I don't think that Farnell's delivery charges are at all excessive.  It's £3 plus VAT. A lot of sites charge far more.

I must be getting confused.... I'll go get a nice cup of cocoa now.

Meanwhile I got a nice mail from Farnell / eleme11nt14 offering a tee shirt if I pre-order (which I already did.. will I get a tee shirt now?).

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Is pre-ordering viable now?

The reason I ask is that one of the lessons that I internalized before fateful Wednesday (aka, leap day 2012) is that I should not order from (entrust my money and/or CC # to) any third parties purporting to be selling the Pi - that I was to order only from the "Shop" on this very website and that no pre-orders were going to be taken.  Needless to say, having internalized both of those lessons, I'm leery of the current situation.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Phil Spiegel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:53 pm

The choice of Farnell and RS as Manufacturers and Distributors - 'business to business' vendors is logical because they are major suppliers to UK schools and other educational instiutes -for whom the Raspbetrry Pi was designed -as well as industry.

This inital batch was NOT aimed at 'the General Public' as yet: it was intended for developers, teachers, etc so as to prepare material for the education release of the cased-product later this year:   How many consumers want to use an uncased computer?

This was made clear in many of the BBC reports I  saw.

How many attempted purchasers came via the 'HDUK' site looking to make a fast buck?

Maybe the optimum route for 'consumer' sales (ie parents) will be viatheschools using them in their lessons from September

khulat

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Nexy said:

khulat, sorry, I owe you an apology for the tone of my crystal balls post. I let your use of sarcasm redirect my frustration towards you, and that may have translated to a combative and less appropriate tone. I hope my slightly bawdy sense of humour did not cause you any offence, but I should have remembered where I am and that tone can be easily misinterpreted online. I'll let the original post stand as is, but please know that my intention was not to offend.

No offense taken. I was frustrated with Farnell and RS on Wednesday, so it's not as if i couldn't understand frustration. It's just that i don't stay frustrated very long and try to see all sides of an issue.

And since i started with the sarcasm, i am not without guilt. I am rather indifferent towards RS and Farnell, and the launch with them was certainly bumpy.

The good side of this should be that they are ramping up the production much faster than the foundation could do it, so i will probably have a RPi sooner than i would have otherwise.

toadstool

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:56 pm

drgeoff said:

I'm another one among quite a few who thought they had a registration with RS but have heard nothing from them since.  Actually I had two registration successful pages.  One within the first few minutes and a second one certainly within the first half hour when I tried to search again after logging into my existing RS account.  That registration page came up pre-filled in with my details but an old phone number which I corrected and submitted. (It wasn't an attempt to order two RPs.)

There have been many other posts critical of what happened but here are two points to which i haven't seen satisfactory answers.

1.  Despite the oft repeated "initial batch is limited to one" mantra, how was that supposed to be co-ordinated between the two suppliers?  I don't see anything in place that tried to stop anyone from ordering from RS and Farnell.

I'm not critical of the PR.  If I had been one of the people who had put up the money for the initial batch then I would have been taking every opportunity to lessen the chance – however remote it might seem now – of having RPs left unsold.

Well said. I've had a similar experience and am also very frustrated The whole experience has left a nasty taste in my mouth. I didn't have crystal balls like Nexy (posted earlier) but I will now be considering a career as a seer or clairvoyant.

dawilson123

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Finally got an e-mail from RS regarding the Expression of Interest I logged at about 6:10am on Wednesday:

Dear Customer

Thank you for joining the Raspberry Pi revolution and registering your interest in Raspberry Pi’s Model B board from RS Components.

We have received extraordinary levels of demand for this product. To help ensure as many people as possible can experience the Raspberry Pi concept, we are limiting boards to one per customer, and we will send you further information on your request in the next seven days. Once we receive the boards into stock, they will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis, in order of when requests were received.

Thank you for your patience; we will be in touch as soon as possible with more details.

RS Components

Oh well RS, you're too late since I've already pre-ordered with Farnell.

abishur

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:02 am

dawilson123 said:

Oh well RS, you're too late since I've already pre-ordered with Farnell.

I have to admit I more than a little surprised that RS is letting so much business slip pass by not taking true pre-orders
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

spamel

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:03 am

I went to Farnell too. Sorry RS. But you need to sort it out!

timn

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am

Wow! RS has finally confirmed my registration of interest. I think that I'll also register with Farnell just to be sure though. I wonder how many people have registered/ordered from both ... hence defeating the principle of one-per-person?

spamel

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:34 am

Exactly! Hence why the first batch should have been sold through the pi shoppe.

judderman

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:38 am

Less glum now - at last got my confirmation (in English) from RS, so all is not lost for those that haven't got theirs.

Regards, Stewart

Return to “Off topic discussion”