spurious

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:48 am

Doesn't RS Components only sell to companies?, so how does average Joe buy one?

ctoon6

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:01 am

Overall i think i just came to the conclusion that that this whole process is just worthless. why do we have to "register our interest", and then just get ignored. i just wanna preorder it, not be sent through endless loops. neither companies have sites that are even designed remotely well. they are not even intended for end consumers to order from.

Long story short, both companies are "rubbish" and i will not be buying a raspberry pi because of it, unless this changes.

Beta-guy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:09 am

I registered interest and got the e-mail, I'm hoping I get one of the first batch... how are they going to maintain the serial numbers correctly with 2 different manufacturers?

Prometheus

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:13 am

ctoon6 said:

Overall i think i just came to the conclusion that that this whole process is just worthless. why do we have to "register our interest", and then just get ignored. i just wanna preorder it, not be sent through endless loops. neither companies have sites that are even designed remotely well. they are not even intended for end consumers to order from.

Long story short, both companies are "rubbish" and i will not be buying a raspberry pi because of it, unless this changes.

Both companies' sites certainly could certainly be designed better (though I didn't find Farnell's to be too bad – certainly no worse than some other stores I've dealt with, at the least), but that said, it took me two seconds of searching to get the URL from which to actually pre-order from Farnell in the UK, skipping the registration-of-interest step entirely. (I simply put "Raspberry Pi", minus quotes, into their search-box, and found a link to someone giving the correct URL. It seems that now, all attempts to search for it lead to the "Register Your Interest" page.)

Curiously, it seems that you now can't pre-order at all, but the product code to order, when this feature is back up, is 2081185, if that's of any help.

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 am

Farnell / CPC ... handling / delivery charges

Orders up to £29.99 (ex VAT) - charge £5.95 (ex VAT);
Orders between £30 and £39.99 (ex VAT) - charge £ 4.25 (ex VAT)
Orders between £40 and £44.99 (ex VAT) - charge £ 1.99 (ex VAT)
Orders over £45.00 (ex VAT) - no charge.

RS Components.. hidden cost:

A £4.95 postage and packing charge will be added for all non account holders

It's free if you have an account.. but to have an account you have to be a company

Can you also distribute via Maplins then us none companies can buy without these large charges?

adlambert

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:29 am

The only problem was not knowing what to expect. I had clicked a "buy" button at 6AM only to get a message "price not yet available". Eventually got interest registered on RS and went through purchase on Farnell. I have received all emails confirming as expected. Looking forward to hearing more from RS next week.

But the biggest bit of fun was the official Raspberry Pi tweet stating "if you get a register of interest then you are on the wrong page". This led to loads of time wasted searching for the right page - which didn"t exist.

n3tw0rk5

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:32 am

spurious said:

Doesn't RS Components only sell to companies?, so how does average Joe buy one?

This seems to have been an issue with Farnell as well in Germany and the Netherlands, allthough a few managed to get round it. At least we didnt have that hassle in the UK, just make up any old name for the company field.

On the day I was like a little kid, reckon i slept about a couple of hours at most.

Alarm was set for 5 so i could have breakfast and a large coffee, but ended being up at 4.30.

6am came and it was action stations, logged onto rs and registered my interest (think I ended up doing this a couple of times just I wasnt sure if it worked the first time.

In my other window I was battling with the Farnell site finally managed to order at 7.15 and was emailed a pdf with a delivery date of 12th march, which I knew was too good to be true.

Phoned Farnell just to check, lass I spoke to was dead canny and advised that it would be the end of april. I'm just happy i've got one somewhere with my name on it

I know a lot of peeps have complained, but it could of been a lot worse so well done to the foundation and of course Liz who weathered the twitter storm. (what was it 300+ tweets received while making a sarnie!)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:37 am

Power-supplies:

Farnell

RS Components 2-pin plug (3pin are either mini-USB, low power or too expensive)

Or any mobile phone charger that supplies at least 0.7A (700mA) or preferably 1A (1000mA). Sainsburies sell them for under £5 the last time I looked.

I still have no confirmation from RS either. I've just talked to a nice lady at RS (their switchboards are jammed at 8:30 on a Saturday) and she said that the emails have not all gone out. So we still seem to be in with a chance.

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 am

n3tw0rk5 said:

In my other window I was battling with the Farnell site finally managed to order at 7.15 and was emailed a pdf with a delivery date of 12th march, which I knew was too good to be true.

Phoned Farnell just to check, lass I spoke to was dead canny and advised that it would be the end of april. I'm just happy i've got one somewhere with my name on it

I registered interest with RS, but never got the UK Farnell site to work.

If I had know RS were going to sell them I could of arranged opening an account.

I have never heard of Farnell, but don't think much of their servers.

I will just wait and see what comes, it's just very frustrating that the 2 companies made such a dogs dinner of the whole thing.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 am

spurious said:

RS Components.. hidden cost:
A £4.95 postage and packing charge will be added for all non account holders

It's free if you have an account.. but to have an account you have to be a company

Everyone can be a company. There's no mystery and nothing to do. You have not had to register at Companies House for several decades.

The only legal requirement is that on your paperwork (if you ever produce any) you put fine-print at the bottom of the page (where you normally see the VAT registration number) saying "sole-trader: <your name>". If a company asks for a letter-head from you, that's what they are looking for.

But RS wont unless you try to open a credit account. If you pay when you order they will not ask for any proof that you are a company. Just put your name into the Company field when you open the account. If they offer you a credit account say no.

semtex

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 am

rurwin said:

I still have no confirmation from RS either. I've just talked to a nice lady at RS (their switchboards are jammed at 8:30 on a Saturday) and she said that the emails have not all gone out. So we still seem to be in with a chance.

Oh good. Thank's for doing that. I live in Canada and registered at 6:10am so good to know there is still a possibility... maybe!

adlambert

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:51 am

It would have been unhelpful to RS and Farnell to tell people in advance that they would be the retailers, because their daily business would have been disrupted even more than it was. Neither of these businesses are anywhere near well enough equipped to handle a launch like that ( why would they be ? It was an extraordinary event) anybody could have foreseen the ddos effect so I"m sure that it was all in the plan. In the circumstances everything seems to have worked out as well as can be expected.

Looking back at it all, even though I felt the same frustration as everyone else, nowI"m pretty satisfied with the way things worked out.

prodata

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:52 am

Another report here of an apparently successful 'expression of interest' submission to RS (from the UK) timed at roughly 0630-0645 - don't remember precisely but it was the first opportunity after about 0610 that the RS site was sufficiently responsive to show the RPi interest page - but still no email thus far.

Might an email still come through? Or do we conclude by now that despite showing the interest page  and apparently accepting a response, the RS server was still too overwhelmed to actually log what it should have received? And that in fact we have not even achieved a registration of interest with RS. Does leave rather a bad taste in the mouth _if_ the latter is true, ie if having jumped through several hoops at some ungodly hour it was still a total lottery as to whether one might be successful. And should we already assume that our registration was lost in the wires and that we have no order placed?

At the end of the day it's just another piece of hardware and there will be more along before too long. But what is frustrating is that as a potential developer who might be able to add some value and expand the market for the RPi, we end up at the back of the queue and having to wait an extra month or two. So any development project is then put back by the same period of time (if not more, because it's missed the start of its planned development slot).

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:54 am

rurwin said:

Yes well, RS don't usually deal with single items that have a high desire level.  They just don't seem to have grasped how interested in the RaspPi the ordinary punter is.  I haven't had any confirmation of the "interest" I expressed on Wednesday morning either.  Since they know that they haven't been able to communicate with all the registrees, the faq should have been updated last night.

But no.  *shakes head*
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

chr_ha

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 am

I've also entered my data in the register-your-interest-form on the Austrian RS website about a minute after the official launch time. Until now I haven't received a confirmation email. It seems like their system may have trashed quite a few of the early requests.

Regarding selling only to business customers the conditions of sale of the Austrian RS branch are clear: "Unser Angebot richtet sich ausschließlich an Industrie, Gewerbe und Institutionen" (Loose translation: We only sell to commercial customers)

I don't remember if I had to send any proof the last time I registered an account (or submitted my first order) for a company but I suppose they want to verify the information provided if's not plausible. I think providing a company name was compulsory at that time. Of course it's possible that they relax these rules when ordering the r-pi.

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of information provided on the r-pi website at launch time on how to actually (pre-)order. A company name or a link to the respective website is not enough. If ordering works within their regular system a stock/product number has to be provided. If this is outside the regular ordering system a deep link to the location of the form is necessary. If this was arranged before launch the RS and Farnell servers probably wouldn't have been hit that hard.

Apart from that I'm quite pleased with your choice of distributors and I hope that RS will let me place my order in the regular way after the initial onslaught has ceased.

Yoda007

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:11 am

rurwin said:

Power-supplies:

Farnell

RS Components 2-pin plug (3pin are either mini-USB, low power or too expensive)

Or any mobile phone charger that supplies at least 0.7A (700mA) or preferably 1A (1000mA). Sainsburies sell them for under £5 the last time I looked.

Thanks for the links ! The Farnell only has the power supply for Uk thought would need EU :/

truan

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:11 am

Glad I am not the only one who thought they had managed to register an interest with RS shortly after 6am but hasn't heard anything.  Dissapointed that RS hasn't updated the FAQ to indicate whether they have finished sending out emails, or maybe even tweet something.

Will wait and see if I get anything later, but not holding out much hope based on how early I *thought* I had registered and the fact I haven't received anything yet.

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:17 am

rurwin said:

Everyone can be a company. There's no mystery and nothing to do. You have not had to register at Companies House for several decades.

The only legal requirement is that on your paperwork (if you ever produce any) you put fine-print at the bottom of the page (where you normally see the VAT registration number) saying "sole-trader: <your name>". If a company asks for a letter-head from you, that's what they are looking for.

The point is though that we shouldn't have to use this subterfuge to buy a consumer product. And we shouldn't be subjected to £5 delivery when it will actually cost about £1.

This sort of thing really irritates me that they are profiteering off a charity.

walney

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:26 am

I'm in a similar state to many here. Crabby with sleep deprivation on the 29th (late finish rather than the early start), it was a case of "meh, at least I registered my interest with RS early on so even if I miss out, I'll be near the front of the queue."

Now it looks like I'm not even in the queue.

10+3… excellent

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:29 am

walney said:

10+3… excellent

Do you feel lucky?!  ;)

BTW.. 3+1.. reversal of fortune?   LOL

If I didn't laugh I'd cry

Beta-guy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:41 am

Agreed, the problem is the foundation had a choice, keep doing 10k batches the process would be slower, but the control would be kept with the foundation, however they chose to speed things up, but this comes at a cost. I do think they should have gone with other companies (if they really wanted to do licensing) that were more consumer friendly, companies that were large enough to deal with the server load at launch.

the way I see it the first 10k batch should have been sold in their store, it didn't speed things up by selling it to the manufacturers,  it didn't make things cheaper either because the company will want to make money off the deal. the first batch I believe should have been sold in the store as everyone was expecting. after that if they wanted to open up licensing to make it more convenient for the users that would have been something available to us as well. this would have had less load on their servers preventing the ddos.

anyway we can look back and say this is a mistake and that is a mistake all we want it doesn't change a thing. those that were lucky got thier pi's coming and those that weren't don't. I was pissed for about a day after that whole thing, and while I did get an e-mail from rs components, I'm not hold my breath I'll get it...

Nexy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:46 am

I have to say, I'm disgusted by the way this has been handled. Not by RasPi, but by RS and Farnell.

First off, any major company being floored by a high volume of predictable traffic should be hung, drawn and quartered. Sheer incompetence. I don't care how much traffic they received because they brought it on themselves! This wasn't some blogger who posted a funny comic that got Slashdot'd.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ge.....aspberryPi

A - An email confirming successful registration will be sent to everyone who has registered by the end of Friday 2nd March.

I've not got one, so presumably I'm not getting one from RS. Fantastic(!)

Farnell had two different SKUs listed, 2081185 and 2081347. This was when their website was falling down around it's ears. Presumably the cheaper one was wrong. An utter farce. My ETA has already been pushed back once from Farnell to the week commencing 23/04/2012.

Have either company publicly apologised for this farce? Am I being too stereotypically British in expecting them to?

hansp

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:47 am

I count myself amongst those disappointed with RS. I registered on Wednesday on the British RS site and on the French one (on which I have an account). On Thursday RS was reported to have promised clarification to all by Friday. Late Friday they added a FAQ to the registration website which adds little real information. I am still waiting for any real information from RS in French, English, or German, its all the same to me

I commend the foundation for their hard work and wait patiently for news of when I might receive a RaspBerry Pi.

JJHamster

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:53 am

I registered just after 6 at UK RS - eventually the screen refreshed and showed a "Thank-you your registration has been successful" screen. Nothing 'till last night when I got an email -

Kære kunde

Tak for din deltagelse i Raspberry Pi revolutionen og for din interesse i Raspberry Pi’s Model B board fra RS Components.

Vi har modtaget meget stor efterspørgsel på dette produkt. For at sikre at så mange som muligt kan opleve Raspberry Pi konceptet, begrænser vi antallet til et styk pr. kunde. Vi sender dig yderligere information om din forespørgsel i den kommende uge. Når vi har varen på lager, bliver den fordelt efter først-til-mølle princippet i forhold til, hvornår vi har modtaget din forespørgsel.

Tak for din tålmodighed. Vi kontakter dig snarest med mere information.

RS Components

Not to sure what this means re my registration/order (and yes I have translated it with

google!) Just wonder if I should  start again?

This is shaping up in the same way as the Kindle pre orders forum frenzy. The excitement of kids waiting for Christmas had nothing on that! e.g.

-Post "I can't wait to get my new Kindle"

- Reply "I bet I can't wait more than you can't wait to get my new Kindle"

MINKIN2

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 am

adlambert said:

The only problem was not knowing what to expect. I had clicked a "buy" button at 6AM only to get a message "price not yet available". Eventually got interest registered on RS and went through purchase on Farnell. I have received all emails confirming as expected. Looking forward to hearing more from RS next week.

But the biggest bit of fun was the official Raspberry Pi tweet stating "if you get a register of interest then you are on the wrong page". This led to loads of time wasted searching for the right page - which didn"t exist.

Same here, it had been a while since I last visited the RS website and it took some time to realise that I have never seen them sell anything on a 1per customer basis as they are a bulk suppliers. Well it was early and not had a coffee yet so I was easily confused.

It would have been nice if RS had informed the R-pi team of their intentions to place a "register an interest" page as this would have saved us all a lot of confusion and their site a lot of downtime. I still have not received my confirmation email from them and not sure if it went through even after seeing the conformation page?

Still it is great to see the Raspberry Pi launched and congrats to the team, I hope to be tinkering away very soon

Return to “Off topic discussion”