grumpyoldgit

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:42 am

I finally have an email from RS, following declaring my interest a little after 6:00 on the day. Apart from that and the FAQ, RS seems a bit lacking in information. Has anyone managed to glean anything from them?

Pomers

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 am

Not received reply from RS yet having logged interest mid 1/3, but managed to order from Farnell yesterday and have received confirmation noting delivery date of 30/04/12.

PSF

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 am

I was about the same.  Declared interest about 6.01 ish, and heard nothing until earlier today (which came in German).  A quick online chat with a very helpful lady called laura at RS just confirmed everthing in the FAQ really.

jbeale

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:01 am

I got the below email from RS, that's all I know. Not sure what my priority was, but since I live in the US, I might be out of luck anyway (I heard they will not ship overseas?)

Dear Customer

Thank you for joining the Raspberry Pi revolution and registering your interest in Raspberry Pi’s Model B board from RS Components.

We have received extraordinary levels of demand for this product. To help ensure as many people as possible can experience the Raspberry Pi concept, we are limiting boards to one per customer, and we will send you further information on your request in the next seven days. Once we receive the boards into stock, they will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis, in order of when requests were received.

Thank you for your patience; we will be in touch as soon as possible with more details.

Chris.Rowland

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:13 am

Never got past the "express an interest" page with RS but somebody posted the Farnell part number on Twitter and I managed to get in and order one about lunchtime.

What was funny was that once I had pressed the "buy it" button time-outs and resets didn't happen.  It may have taken 5 minutes for a button press to be acknowledged but they weren't going to let a customer go.

The confirmations say mid April; my breath is not held.

My congratulations to the RPi people, I think you did brilliantly to keep everything together. The static site was an excellent idea; without it you would have been DDOSed out of existence.  Of course Farnell and RS might have preferred that; as it was everyone could get the information to go straight to them.

Welcome back!

Chris

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:30 am

Thank you! I am RAGGED - we've barely slept in the last few days, and it's been meetings and emails up to the eyeballs. It's been so exciting; an experience I recommend to everyone. But probably only once, because I suspect that much more of this will cause some vital part of my insides to give up and stop working.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

grumpyoldgit

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:33 am

I thought you were at a lock-in at the pub. It's where you said you were going.

Smartybones

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:52 am

I am both pleased and anoyed at the whole release of the RPi..

first of all, I am on the mailing list for info the release of the pi at two different email addresses and did not get an email to either

I got stuck on the rs website register interest at around 6.01 but never actually registered my interest. People have been getting emails confirming, but I have had none

I actually managed to order one at just after 8am on the farnell site, I got a delivery date of 26th march, which I was pleased at, but then got an email the next day revising that to 23rd april. not happy at that.

I know and understand that its not raspberry's fault. Its all down to the supplier. and thats the problem dealing with large companies like rs and farnell..they dont care about small customers. I remember back in the day when RS did actually care.. right back to mid 80's when I used to buy 8 and 16k eproms from them to plug into the rom sockets of my bbc master...

but any how, just glad my pi will be on its way at all...

aperry

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:59 am

My experience was similar to Chris'.  I stayed up until 1:00am (east coast USA), found the new raspi page, followed instructions right into the brick wall.  

About 75 minutes later I had a preorder placed at Farnell and had "expressed interest" at RS.  Farnell tells me mid-April for delivery.  I was actually quite impressed that my cart and session persisted at Farnell despite all of the timeouts and errors that I experienced through the checkout process.

Anyway, I'm psyched for all the publicity that the foundation has received.  Twitter was ablaze!  The issues with the websites were frustrating (especially a 2:00am), but I know that was out of your hands.  I think it's a far assumption that big companies like these guys could handle the load, even if it turned out to be untrue.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Aaron

liz

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:01 am

Speaking of 2am - I'm off to bed. More tomorrow!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

fos

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:10 am

Great job R-Pi. With the response this issue has generated it went well. I was online waiting at 6:00 as designated. I still didn't get in on the first batch. But that is OK. I now have one on the way that should get here sometime in April.

I hope to build a unit for low vision users. Imagine if I can keep the price down because of your work on price control. There will be a lot of grateful low vision users.

fos
https://faroutscience.com

WotNoName

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:13 am

I stayed up all night, patently sat thought 2 1/2 hours of DDoS before I was able to register my interest with RS around 8:30am. It now looks as if I may have to go though registering again as I haven't received an email from them.

An email confirming successful registration will be sent to everyone who has registered by the end of Friday 2nd March.

Never mind, It was great to see the Raspberry Pi blow all expectations out of the water and I now have the added benefit of having more time to get to grips with this Linux.

Stark

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:37 am

Wow crazy few days indeed.

At least now I have a Pi on order with Farnell with an indication of late April delivery although getting an order was via a convoluted route with the help of forum members at the element14 Raspberry Pi group.

Still not 100% convinced this was the intended way or the best route for my order and not holding my breath on the date?

To be honest the Farnell and RS handling was quite poor. The DDOS I can accept but then having managed to gain access and express interest at both sites I still have yet to receive any acknowledgement from both. The Farnell site had a lot of circular links to the expression of interest page although was accepting preorders via the local UK site but the only way to get to this required a specific web link to a part number.

Whilst first batches were expressed as not intended for the general educational audience I do hope that these issues are ironed out for the Model A release. It took a lot of time and underground research to get to an order, something that less patient or internet savvy customers would not pursue.

Anyway enough on the negative, I understand that the ordering is now out of your hands and this will hopefully allow focus of your energy on your original goals.  I appreciate all the Raspberry Pi's time and efforts on this amazing project. All the best and keep up the good work.

drokkeh

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:38 am

I registered my 'interest' on the RS components site at 6:02am and was told my registration was successful, I, however also did not receive any email from RS components at all :/

I know there is an initial batch of 10,000 units.  Is this like shared between farnell and RS at 5,000 each or something?  I'm guessing internationally the demand will be hundreds f thousands if not millions?

Great job on the launch though.  It wasn't your fault that demand was so high

dawilson123

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:42 am

I set my alarm for 5:55am on Wednesday, left my computer running overnight, so I wouldn't have to wait for the bootup and with Chrome left open and logged into the Raspberry-Pi shop.

6am came and went and after a couple of minutes of continuously clicking refresh on the R-Pi shop webpage with nothing happening, I went to the main page and realised I had to order from RS or Farnell. Went to RS first and all I could do was register my interest. Then I tried Farnell and their website was down for the most part. Eventually managed to find the registration link for Farnell via a Google search and got to the R-Pi page whilst being logged in and after spending 10 minutes registering.

It took me a further 30 minutes to place an order, confirm delivery and pay with my debit card (each part of the order process took at least 5 minutes of continuously clicking refresh in order to get the next page to load properly).

I finally managed to get an order confirmation come through by e-mail from Farnell at about 7:20am. My ETA for delivery is 12th March, which I'm pleased about.

Ordered nearly all my components (some are from the States, China and Australia).

Plan A is to install the R-Pi in the storage section of this keyboard (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390365353174), which will need to be heavily modified, but I'm not sure if it is deep enough to accomodate the R-Pi (I can't find any dimensions for it anywhere). I will then extend all the sockets to the perimeter of the storage section (sourcing a panel mount RJ-45 socket was interesting – I only found one company in the world selling them).

Plan B is to purchase this brushed aluminium enclosure (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290659268662) from China on eBay and install the R-Pi in it instead of the storage bit of the keyboard and use the keyboard, just as a keyboard.

I've been looking for a project for a while and this should be fun and fairly cheap. My Dremel and drill will get a work out. I've spent about £130 so far for all components, comprising:

Component
Source
Quantity
Cost

Raspberry Pi, Model B
Farnell
£29.46

PS2 keyboard Beige with built in storage tray 
eBay
£8.48

Blackberry USB UK Mains Charger Plug
eBay
£5.95

5M USB Type A Male to M Cable Lead for Caddy Modem PC 5
eBay
£1.70

10No. Green 6-Pin ps/2 Mouse Sockets
eBay
£3.15

USB 2.0 Male A Connection To Female Panel Mount
eBay
£4.87

Stranded equipment wire packs 11 x 2metres different colours 7/0.2mm
eBay
£3.25

3 x Terminal Strip Connector Chock Block, 12-way, 3A
eBay
£1.99

5No. Purple 6-Pin ps/2 Mouse Sockets
eBay
£3.97

Screened 3.5mm Stereo Chassis Socket
eBay
£1.83

P115 Ethernet RJ45 Female to Male Connection Panel Mount
FrontX.com 
£7.07

Metal 3.5mm Stereo Plug
Maplin
£2.29

Self-Adhesive Pads, ref: HB22Y
Maplin
£0.79

Verbatim Pocket USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader, ref: 626583
PCWorld
£4.99

SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s Edition – Flash memory card – 32 GB – Class 10 – 200x – SDHC
Amazon
£49.99

Tools
Source
Quantity
Cost

Set of 10 needle files
eBay
£3.98

TOTAL

£133.76

TOTAL SPENT SO FAR

£129.78

Max

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:03 am

Did not receive an e-mail from RS either, despite registering for interests.

Anyway, I did manage to order at Farnell after finding the right product number on a blog

Received a PDF order confirmation the next day, that contained a small typo in my address that I don't think I made myself.

Wonder if their website and internal order system are not linked, and some poor guy has to type things over?!!

Skygod

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:04 am

Got my 'interest' logged with the UK RS site at around 06:01 GMT and received a confirmation the following day.

I must admit that I was frustrated that all they had was the 'register' option and not 'buy here' and then read the tweet "If you're only seeing "register an interest" on RS's site, you're on the wrong page." which started to get my blood running hot. And then.... nothing! Both sites were completely crippled and attempts to get information about what was going on was hard to come by. I had no idea that the Asian Farnell sites were working okay, but they trade as Element 14 and not Farnell.

RS Thailand started listing the Pi on their Thai website yesterday and registering an interest got a response within the hour.

Robert_M

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:12 am

I managed to get the "register interest" page at RS fairly early after launch, but then as time passed it sounded more and more as if that was only going to work for non-US residents.

Ah, well.

I had a backup plan, and bought another online item from my list of things-to-buy and that soothed the angst of not getting a Pi el-Pronto.

Then a day later I got the email mentioned above saying another  email would be sent in a week, to which I said, "OK, fine."

Today, I followed another link to the US Farnell (Newark/Element 14) site, and filled out all the bits (I put the text "Home Use" in the field asking for a company name – it still asked for one even though I'd selected the "personal use" checkbox on an earlier page).

The order form listed a 30-day wait, which I assume means "30 days until the item will actually be in stock and available for processing my order," and that's all just fine by me.

It means I'm in the pipeline and, within a few weeks or so, I'll see a Raspberry Pi in my mailbox!  
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

semtex

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:02 am

RS is pants. They really dropped the ball here. I expressed an interest with them at 6:10am, got the confirmation screen and have heard nothing since.

Farnell Export - Element 14 however have been amazing. I finally pre-ordered with them at 7:30am and my pre-order and delivery date was confirmed within 12 hours!! Element 14 has gone above and beyond with videos, downloads and a rapidly growing community at http://bit.ly/yl3ldD. Lots of content to read before I take delivery. Kudos to them.

Zewy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:04 am

I also register 6:10am on RS but did't get any email at all...

ehowland

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 am

I am another that registered interest in the wee minutes of 6:00 and did see a confirmation, but have gotten no email.

I am heartened by the idea that my expression of interest might put me in a queue for the first batch, but disparing that I did not get an email.

What email address do the letters come from?  Something at rs-online.com?

pluggster

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:58 am

... and the reason why so many of us never received an email from foundation ...

Smartybones said:

first of all, I am on the mailing list for info the release of the pi at two different email addresses and did not get an email to either

... how many people had more than one email address registered for the mailing list? Unbelievable!

great you lot are back ... to be honest I think what happened was to be expected, and, well all news is good news for a new launch, right!?

MuddyDogs

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:24 am

"RS is pants. They really dropped the ball here. I expressed an interest with them at 6:10am, got the confirmation screen and have heard nothing since."

Ditto. I suspect their systems broke from the overload at some point around that time and a number of people who registered and saw the confirmation screen won"t be hearing anything else. If they got your details their supposed to have sent you an email by yesterday at the latest. Ho hum

Fortunately I phoned Farnell about 10:30 and spoke to a very nice lady who took my order over the phone, and I have definite confirmation of that order )))))))))

Yoda007

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:33 am

Anyone sees an USB power supply on http://si.farnell.com/ ? Its morning and my searching daemon doesn't start until i have a cup of tea .

Couldn't order a Pi though so no rush.

Tass

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:42 am

RS tweeted this ow.ly/i/uiJC

Looks like we knocked them far a 6!

Return to “Off topic discussion”