riffraff

Re: Rasperry Pi == Bad idea

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:42 am

obarthelemy said:

I'd go further: as an expensively educated professional, I think it's madness to keep educating youngsters to my level. First, because they'll threaten my position.

Damn, O. Didn't know you worked for the enemy! (Microsoft).

Luny

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 am

mrunderhill said:

Jongoleur said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

I thought Frodo was being quite funny. I think a few people round here have had a sense of humour bypass.

I was just waiting to see if he vanished whilst dancing on the table...... 

(Thinking about it, I made him do just that!)

I didn't disappear, its just that my finger slipped into a ring by accident.

I must remember to use smilies. 

I've listened to the BBC radio play of LOTR many a times, and I'm amazed at how many accidental double-entendres there are in it.

'<pant, pant>I've come Mr Frodo, I've come!'

and many more....

Luny

Wooloomooloo

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:02 am

meltwater said:

It is a valid point though, why should engineers help young minds learn our trade?
Perhaps when you are on your last legs (after having the previous few set replaced…) and you look over to the machine that is keeping you alive, or into the sky at the rocket which takes your grandchildren from the moon base to visit you…you can be glad that a whole new generation of engineers were created and your last years of life were so much the richer for it.

Now, now, let's keep things in perspective and stick to our priorities - there shall be no artificial limbs and moon bases until we cleared that previous bullet point on the list called "flying cars & household robot butlers/maids". Ugh, I get a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath for any of those either...

But I think you're spot on about the target demographic for any of that stuff, with that "richer" part (take current suborbital flight prices for instance - and I'm not even going to mention space tourism)...

mrunderhill said:

I didn't disappear, its just that my finger slipped into a ring by accident.
Interestingly, there seem to be quite a few of these dangerous rings around. If I had a penny for every one-man open source project that just had its developer vanish into thin air following such an unfortunate accident, I'd be rich... (these things do appear to be rather slow-working though - in many instances the effect seems to be delayed up to as much as nine months... )

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:10 am

Wooloomooloo said:

Now, now, let's keep things in perspective and stick to our priorities - there shall be no artificial limbs and moon bases until we cleared that previous bullet point on the list called "flying cars & household robot butlers/maids". Ugh, I get a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath for any of those either...

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Well, lets look at it this way - with the aid of the Raspberry Pi, we may see sensible household robot shuffle a bit closer to reality.  As for flying cars, I hope we NEVER see their ilk!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “Off topic discussion”