Joules

Re: Is the Raspberry release going to affect iPad3 sales

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:07 pm

This could really cause issue for Apple if the Raspberry release coinsides with the iPad3. No doubt Apple shareholders will be feeling the strain with the impending Raspberry release. How would Apple respond to this event, will they postpone the iPad and see how the Raspberry stands against their own product, perhaps leading to a redesign in a race to compete technologically...

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.... Enjoy.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 pm

I would imagine that as the Pi and the IPad are very similar devices the senior management of Apple are in crisis meetings as we speak. I expect that many Apple shows will have to close and that there will be mass lay-offs of staff.

secretreeve

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:18 pm

seing as i cant stand apple products i hope the rasberry Pi drives them out of business.

bbramble

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Joules said:

And the answer is:

No.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm sure Apple may see the Raspberry Pi as an unwelcome conflict in their battle to oust Microsoft in the Schools marketplace.

Look for a reworking of the iPad 1 with a resistive screen, 4Gb Flash storage, 265Mb RAM and a slow WiFi connection. The only interface socket on the case will be a power only iSocket  Although it will have access to the App Store, most software will not run due to the lack of resources.  Software will include cut down versions of the web browser and the iTunes client (provisionally called 0Tunes).  A similarly restricted "programming language" will be provided with no I/O facilities than a sandboxed filing system with NO access to the real world. No decicion has been made yet on which language will be implemented.

Naturally, it'll be called the Apple Pi.

Edit for minor typo...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

psergiu

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Jongoleur said:

Naturally, it'll be called the Apple Pi.

Apple iPid - the Foxcon emplyees will work their third 12-hour shift for a couple of days to sand the "a" from the old logo and put a "i" - this will also resolve their "iPad" trademark dispute.

- or -

Feeling threatened, Apple used half of their massive $100 Bn "War Chest" to buy the Raspberry Pi foundation outright. The existing 10000 completed Rapberry Pi boards and all the schematics were shipped overnight to the Apple Secure Storage Center in the US Rocky Mountains (nicknamed the "iOubliette", as we found out form former employees). The only declaration we were able to get from the ex-Foundation members, was a quick "Sorry !" from Liz while she was getting out of her new gold-plated Maybach. She was wearing the Koh-I-Noor diamond on her necklace.

MDC

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Has there ever been a case were a international, muti-billion dollar company was frightened of a non-profit company with charity status?

Plus some Apple users like Apple because of the style of the products and there ease of use. I don't think they would like the linux base o/s. Some Apple users are not likely to change.

Apple could compete if it wanted but there would be no profit in it.

Joules

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Or due to a mix up in the font department the first batch came out as the "iPig"

crundy

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:40 pm

iTards will buy whatever rubbish Apple throw at their stores, regardless of price, features, or quality of competing devices. Someone could release an Android tablet with a crisper screen, 5THz CPU and 10TB storage which not only works as a tablet but also does your washing & ironing, cleans your house, and performs sexual favours via a free app and mac boys will still say it's crap and remotgage their house to buy the new iBrick 3.1S.

Don't get me wrong, the hardware of Apple devices is great. It's the rubbish installed on them and the attitude of the company and demographic that I dislike.

S0litaire

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Joules said:

This could really cause issue for Apple if the Raspberry release coinsides with the iPad3. No doubt Apple shareholders will be feeling the strain with the impending Raspberry release. How would Apple respond to this event, will they postpone the iPad and see how the Raspberry stands against their own product, perhaps leading to a redesign in a race to compete technologically...

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.... Enjoy.

Yup!

The iPad3 all an elaborate P.R. hoax. The March press conference is not about the iPad3, it's actually APPLE finally admitting defeat after playing with the Raspberry-Pi prototype for an afternoon...

They finally realise they can't compete with the UK based charity and are getting out of the hardware business immediately....

^_~ (Use a sarcastic tone of voice when reading the above for full effect!!) lol
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Jongoleur said:

The only declaration we were able to get from the ex-Foundation members, was a quick "Sorry !" from Liz while she was getting out of her new gold-plated Maybach. She was wearing the Koh-I-Noor diamond on her necklace.

Close, but I was planning on a Tesla Roadster, and I was going to sort of glue the Koh-I-Noor to my forehead for maximum impact.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

max1zzz

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Crundy said:

iTards will buy whatever rubbish Apple throw at their stores, regardless of price, features, or quality of competing devices. Someone could release an Android tablet with a crisper screen, 5THz CPU and 10TB storage which not only works as a tablet but also does your washing & ironing, cleans your house, and performs sexual favours via a free app and mac boys will still say it's crap and remotgage their house to buy the new iBrick 3.1S.

Don't get me wrong, the hardware of Apple devices is great. It's the rubbish installed on them and the attitude of the company and demographic that I dislike.

Thats not always true, i have always used macs, in fact i'm typeing this on my mbp, i have a iphone, a ipod etc etc, but i recognize that apple stuff isn't always best, for example my server is a standerd x86 box (allbeit, running osx, but thats due to what i run) my media center is again a x86 box and to be honest im not a fan of what apple is doing now (the change from OSX to iOSX), although i do have to say there are some fanboys, but no one i know with a mac is like that.

(sorry if i have gone on a bit, but i don't like the way all apple users get clumped into essentially a group of idiots)

liz

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Max: I (and the MacBook Pro I'm typing this on) agree with you. I tend to use this for my day-to-day work; there's a Windows machine in my study too which I mostly use for gaming, which sometimes transmogrifies into a Linux box. I like to think of myself as sort of platform-agnostic, but I have to admit to a certain fondness for my MacBook.

Jongoleur

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 pm

liz said:

Jongoleur said:

The only declaration we were able to get from the ex-Foundation members, was a quick "Sorry !" from Liz while she was getting out of her new gold-plated Maybach. She was wearing the Koh-I-Noor diamond on her necklace.

Close, but I was planning on a Tesla Roadster, and I was going to sort of glue the Koh-I-Noor to my forehead for maximum impact.

Oh come on, Liz - I didn't have you all blinged up! 

But how about that pink diamond they've found in Australia?

liz

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Jongoleur said:

liz said:

Jongoleur said:

Oh come on, Liz - I didn't have you all blinged up! 

But how about that pink diamond they've found in Australia?

There's a tube of Araldite and a diamond-free chin standing by.

JustThisGuy

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm

A friend just bought an iPod and has graciously given the case to me for the containment of my RPi (just as soon as I can get one). I'll be naming it the (drum roll please):

PiPod (tm, copyright, copyleft, service mark,and patent pending)
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

Joules

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 pm

I'll take your Patent Bending and copyabove, copybelow.  Nice idea, I just happen to have a case or two here.....

SeanD

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:33 pm

I had heard that the upcoming iTV (although I still think a UK based broadcasting consortium is negotiating the rights on the name) has had HDMI input added so that it can capitalize on the success of the RPi.  Initially Apple believed that the only use of the iTV would be to watch Youtube videos of the RPi boot ing and demoing various cool stuff, but at the last minute they panicked realizing that people may just plug teh RPi into a regular TV and use the RPi to do all that stuff.

psergiu

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:41 pm

liz said:

Max: I (and the MacBook Pro I'm typing this on) agree with you. I tend to use this for my day-to-day work; there's a Windows machine in my study too which I mostly use for gaming, which sometimes transmogrifies into a Linux box. I like to think of myself as sort of platform-agnostic, but I have to admit to a certain fondness for my MacBook.

As Montgommery Scott said: "The right tool for the right job"

The only affordable and usable UNIX(tm) Workstation this day is a Mac. I loved the SGIs, but they are dead and gone. The mac is a cheap Unix workstation which can do a lot more stuff.

I have a iPad1. Jailbreaked. The OS is also Unix (non-certified). I will buy an iPad 3 as soon as a jailbreak is found for it. The iPad is a nice device for controlling Linux servers (web interfaces, ssh/telnet/X11/VNC and even accesing the serial console with a DYI iDevice-serial cable)

CookieMonster

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Crundy said:

... say it's crap and remotgage their house ...

Probably for the spelling checker.

error404

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 am

LOL

(hoping this is a joke)

JakeGrey

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 am

You know, joking aside, I bet Foxconn have a few pallets of obsolete previous-generation iPhone parts kicking around in the warehouse somewhere. If the R-Pi should take off in a big way, and Apple decides to diversify out of the "rich idiots who want to impress other rich idiots" market, who's to say the Foundation won't have some competition?

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 am

JakeGrey said:

You know, joking aside, I bet Foxconn have a few pallets of obsolete previous-generation iPhone parts kicking around in the warehouse somewhere. If the R-Pi should take off in a big way, and Apple decides to diversify out of the "rich idiots who want to impress other rich idiots" market, who's to say the Foundation won't have some competition?

I don't really see Apple in this field, they are Premium manufacturers, everything has a mark-up because it "just works" (Ha!) a cheap system like the Pi, even if its only three times the price, wouldn't be worthwhile. Foxconn, on the other hand, are big enough to be able to afford more or less current SoC systems at competitive rates off their own bat, having "a few pallets of obsolete ... part"s wouldn't scale very well!   As for competition, the Foundation have said that they welcome others joining in.

Competition will be good - it will show that the Foundation is on the button.

TheEponymousBob

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 am

Crundy said:

Can we try to steer away from offensive and sweeping generalisations please?  Apple users get enough of this sort of abuse elsewhere, and it's not needed in a forum that prides itself on civility.

bredman

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 am

JustThisGuy said:

A friend just bought an iPod and has graciously given the case to me for the containment of my RPi (just as soon as I can get one).

At last, I found a use for the iTouch that I never use (because it's so difficult to get songs onto it). It's still in its original box.

Ironic that the plastic box is of more value to me than the iTouch.

Return to “Off topic discussion”