liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Sleeping with the lights on

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Eben and I awarded ourselves an afternoon off today, and went to see The Woman in Black.

We have made a pact, having left the cinema, to sleep with the lights on tonight, because we are both rendered very shuddery and have discovered that we are now nervous around cobwebs and shadowy corners. The last time we had to do this was after watching The Shining in an empty hotel in the Lake District in about 2001. (Our first date movie was the re-release of The Exorcist - it's amazing we ever made it to the altar, honestly.) I thought, having read the book more than once - and because it stars Harry Potter - that I'd be immune to being scared by The Woman in Black, but I appear to have very bad judgment about these things.

Favourite scary movies? Do you find the addition of Harry Potter makes things like this better or worse?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

spamel

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Well, I get to tell my joke again!  Eben will be fine, as in the joke "what is the difference between hard and light" it was established that a man can sleep with a light on!

scep

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:03 pm

liz said:

The last time we had to do this was after watching The Shining in an empty hotel in the Lake District in about 2001.
If I was the hotel manager I would have got my son to ride a trike up and down the hall outside your room all night. (Hmmm. There's a business model in there somewhere...)

Best scary movie? Ringu. (Not Pingu.)

liz

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:10 pm

I think Dark Water is worse/better, if you're going to go all Japanese on us. Ugh. Just ugh ugh ugh.

Jock in a Frock

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:14 pm

The Evil Dead scared me pantless in the early '80s. Not the gore, but the isolation and helplessness of the kids in the cabin.

The Grudge - saw the Japanese version (Ju-on) at the cinema. My ex couldn't stand it and spent the whole movie with her eyes covered. However the scariest part of the film was the moaning that the ghoul made. It really gets under your skin.

I still won't re-watch this film, that's how creepy it is.

zippy

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Haven't seen the new version of The Woman in Black yet but I liked the 1989 version.

Some other scary movies worth checking out:

Blair Witch project

Paranormal Activity

Night of the Living Dead

Suspiria

Carnival of Souls

Pyscho

The Birds

Repulsion

The Dead

Eyes Without a Face

Black Sabbath

Burnt Offerings

The Haunting

The Others

Session 9

Salem's Lot (original version with James Mason/David Soul)

Rosemary's Baby

Dead Birds

The Changeling

The Vanishing (Dutch version, not the remake)

Onibaba

Horror Hotel

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

And Soon the Darkness (the original 1970 version, not the remake)

and of course The Exorcist and The Shining you already mentioned.

liz

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Psycho was another one that required the leaving on of lights.

The Blair Witch Project…well, we went to see it at the cinema, and Eben thought the reason I was leaving and returning at regular intervals was FEAR. It wasn't; it was near-terminal motion-sickness from all the hand-held camera stuff. Sadly, Half Life (just the first one) and Quake 3 have the same effect, although I have discovered that dosing myself up with Dramamine half an hour before playing helps a lot.

zippy

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Hehe, yeah I get motion sickness playing Quake style games after a few mins too.

Normally I hate these "Top 100 horror movies" kinda lists, but this one from Reel.com is actually pretty damn good:

http://www.listal.com/list/ree.....ary-movies

Think I still have about 2 or 3 of those to see but I'll get there eventually.

spamel

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:44 pm

I thoroughlt enjoyed the original Chainsaw Massacre, and Dead Hooker in a Trunk is a fine film.  I have a friend who blogs about horror films, he loves Argento and many others from the genre.  I thought I knew about horror but know basically nothing, so it has been interesting watching some of the old banned films.  I also enjoy the cheesy horrors too, though!

Jock in a Frock

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:47 pm

edit - double post

zippy

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Yes, I like a lot of Argento stuff. Suspiria, Inferno and Tenebrae are 3 favourites, but many of the others are over rated imo.

I spent hours on Friday hacking my French Blu-ray disc of Tenebrae (it's waaaaaay better quality than the crappy UK version) to allow the French sub-titles to be disabled, as it forces them on by default if you select English audio and then stops them being switched off during the movie.

Only 3 bytes to change in a playlist file and my player can now switch them off no problem... this is exactly why we need to teach the kids of today about programming!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:08 pm

liz said:

Eben and I awarded ourselves an afternoon off today, and went to see The Woman in Black.

Favourite scary movies? Do you find the addition of Harry Potter makes things like this better or worse?

Harry Potter was in it????

You'd have thought his Patronus would have protected him from the Woman.... 

I've been in two minds to see the film - how close it it to the book?

Is it really scary???

Really???

One of the things that amused me in the book was that Kipps travels north via Crewe, a rather roundabout way to get to a place with a decidedly East Coast feel....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

spamel

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Is it the uncut Tenbrae with the chopped off arm and arterial spray up the wall?  I heard that was Berlusconi's ex-wife, lol! (And also WTF?!)

liz

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Plot-wise, it and the book are pretty divergent. But it's a lovely change from all the Saw-type scary movies we've been subjected to recently; no gore, just lots of very English spookiness, psychological nastiness and visual shocks. And some creepy dolls.

It has a 12A certificate. All the 12-year-olds I know would be pretty upset by it, so be warned; do not take your Potter-fancying kids.

Andre_P

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:20 pm

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I went to see "The Woman in Black" last night.

I'm not particularly into Horror but she wanted to go so off we trotted.

I was looking for all the usual cues and stuff, meanwhile SWMBO kept on shrieking and jumping all the way through it, not to say I didn't tense up as well but at no point did I levitate out of my seat and take out any ear drums.

So we come back and SWMBO asked for a whisky, dutifully intoxicated went up to bed where she tossed and turned and apparently had nightmares.

I however slept ok, not tooo sure if I should be worried.

Anyway the only kind of 'Horror' movies I might entertain watching are the 'Omen', 'The Fog' and 'The Exorcist' and those very very very rarely if they come on.

zippy

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Yup, it's an uncut version of Tenebrae. Actually the UK version is uncut too, but is just mastered in very poor quality compared to the French release.

Changed days from how it used to be though, with the uncut version of Tenebrae being banned in the 80's and 90's. I actually had an uncut version of Evil Dead seized by UK Customs in the 90's (due to it being "Indecent and Obscene", apparently) and the same uncut version is now available to buy in any Tesco, haha.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm

The scarest movie of all time is still chitty chitty bang bang to make it any scarier they have to add a battle between the weeping angels and the cybermen

nichobb

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm

I don't like scary movies.

However I did see The Exorcist re-released version in the cinema and it was terrifying ... The cinema I mean, it was at the Elephant and Castle.

When we got there my (then) GF said sit down, I replied that I couldn't!  when she asked why I pointed out that the seat next to her had been ripped out...

Later (during the film) she asked me to find the bathroom with her, she went in and 10 seconds later popped her head out and asked me to come in with her  a quick, shifty glance around to check nobody was around and I slipped in ... to a place that made the trainspotting bog look luxurious.  There was water covering most of the floor, all the toilet doors had been ripped off apart from one which had no lock and only one working hinge.

spamel

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:55 pm

ukscone said:

The scarest movie of all time is still chitty chitty bang bang to make it any scarier they have to add a battle between the weeping angels and the cybermen

I flew over the castle from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when I did a paragliding course in Germany.  One of the best courses I went on in my time in the Army, so I went on it again!  I haven't seen the film in years, I do remember the child catcher though: creepy!

johnbeetem

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:56 pm

My all-time favorite horror movie is Viy (1967), a Russian movie with special effects by FX master Aleksandr Ptushko.  Based on a story by Gogol, it's about a young not-too-serious seminarian who is forced to pray over the body of a young woman for three nights, all alone, locked in a creepy old chapel.  Each night the effects get weirder, and each day Brutus is more terrified not knowing what he will have to face the next night.

Viy is pronounced "Vee'-ah", which is how I pronounce the Unix editor spelled "vi" -- very appropriate once you have seen the movie.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Almost agreed on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Think its still scares my Bro, and he spends quite a lot of time in Afganistan), but I would like to raise you Nightmare on Elm Street. Since seeing that, I just don't do horror films,although I did watch the Ninth Gate the other Day, but it was entirely unscary.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

nichobb

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm

I laughed through most of Elm street (not sure which one), think it was the dogs with human faces that finished me off.

If you want true horror, I got home to GF saying "Valentines day! We watch Bridget Jones Diary!" ... pub was okay but sofa is uncomfortable.

Wooloomooloo

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 pm

"Hostel".

Most horror movies have a sufficiently exotic premise to keep some distance from the viewer (you don't really expect Mike Myers to show up do you?) - depending on what one might tend or not tend to accept as possible, this one might seem just too easily conceivable for comfort. Not really in a direct "who's there...?" sense, though, more in a broader "oh God nothing like this actually ever happened, right? RIGHT?".

Then again, I might just be easily impressionable.

liz

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Urgh - haven't seen Hostel, but The Vanishing (the original, Dutch/French version) is so quotidian and believable that I came away feeling really nauseous. Another one for the list of things never to watch again.

S0litaire

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Scary films

Exorcist : Nope fell asleep in the cinema while watching it! seen it in the big scren as well as DVD, never seen why it's scary.

For a real creepy movie check out "The McPherson Tapes"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142074/

It was one of the first "found tapes" type movie (Well before the Blair Witch Project was released)

Family get together for a Thanksgiving meal in their farm house. After a mysterious blackout, a son goes out to investigate and captures footage of actual aliens. When the aliens follow he and his brothers back to their home all hell breaks lose.
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

Return to “Off topic discussion”