crundy

Re: FPoS

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Do you think we could use the R-Pi to create our own version of this?

Warning: Very bad language!

boarsblood

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 am

As much as I expect this thread to get deleted, I'm hoping that the R-Pi is the exact opposite of that.

(glad my firebug plug-in does the maths for me 10+4=14)

Gert van Loo

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:03 am

I am afraid that numerous users who switch it on and only see a prompt will think exactly that! Even more so after they try to get past the login prompt and do not know a default Linux username+password. (I had to ask for that the first time I switched one on).

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:23 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   yes.

Thoroughly concur with the tone of the OP.

(To be fiar, its not JUST Sony.....)

9+8?  I just use my portable neuron net.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

nick.mccloud

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:28 am

Hopefully the newbie shipping image on the SD card will dump them in LXDE with some sort of background image that says what the default username & password is

emg

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:22 pm

LMFAO. The Onion nailed it.

toxibunny

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Oddly enough, this describes every experience I"ve had with Linux over the last 2 weeks. It"s currently jammed because I dared to try and install pyside...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

mobeyduck

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Gert said:

default Linux username+password.

Uhm is it root 1234

never had a linux with a default password, my live cd's always came without one.

Jessie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Default password is almost always password.  Years agao I installed Red Hat and Slack and got stuck at the prompt for hours.  This was well before there were all kinds of Linux support forms, before google was big, and before wikipedia existed.  I had to go get a book from the library on Linux just to find out how to log in.  Being from the DOS and windows camp it also took me a while to understand permissions and why I had to type su before doing anything.

Anyway that whole exp cause me to shelf Linux for about 6 years.  It just wasn't ready for consumer use at the time.  After I got everything up and running I never had anythig but issues with the two installs.  Whereas I was toying with BeOS at the time and it was nothing but easy.  There are things I use Linux, and FreeBSD for now, but it took a long time before I got over my angst for Linux and gave it another go.

I know this is an un-popular opinion but the educational release should boot right into a GUI with no password prompt.

BTW this spoof Sony video has been around for some time, I remember seeing it around the launch of the PS3.

mobeyduck

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm

I know this is an un-popular opinion but the educational release should boot right into a GUI with no password prompt.

I completely agree with you, it should start straigt into the GUI by default it should be easy to change if schools really want they can combine it with a sort of domain that you just log in to the domain on it.

As a tinkering device no password is good

especially when its used in a lab environment unless there is a need to use a pw it doesnt need one in a school lab, once students use/get there personal SD card and installation they should use a pw.

TheEponymousBob

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:35 pm

crundy said:
Do you think we could use the R-Pi to create our own version of this?
[snip]

Oh, is it not going to support that out the box?

Lynbarn

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 pm

I think the video completely misses the point. It states that one needs to be a rocket scientist to use the SPOS. Not so. Rocket science is easy: mix two compounds together in a container with a hole in one end. Rapid expansion of the combined compound propels container – plus anything attached to it -  in the opposite direction to the hole. Simples!

It's the Rocket Engineering  that is the difficult part!

Lynbarn

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:44 pm

mobeyduck said:

I completely agree with you, it should start straigt into the GUI by default it should be easy to change if schools really want they can combine it with a sort of domain that you just log in to the domain on it.

As a tinkering device no password is good

especially when its used in a lab environment unless there is a need to use a pw it doesnt need one in a school lab, once students use/get there personal SD card and installation they should use a pw.

Different situations will require different options here, as with most aspects of the 'Pi. Any 'Pi connected to a network MUST surely be password protected, but I agree that as a stand-alone "tinkering device" the option to not have a password should be available. (in most educational scenarios, I imagine, the 'Pis wouldnt be handed out straight from the box to pupils – there would be some testing and configuration to suit local conditions by IT technicians or teaching staff beforehand.

Incidentally, I have recently installed three different distros, and none required a password by default.

mobeyduck

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:01 pm

For a school assignment i need to compile a linux kernel 2.6.x with minimal disk space <0,5mb is 10/10.. impossible since everything disables is 0,7...

ontopic, it is possible to set a default password for a user after/during compiling.

Ive tried quite some distro's the last ~4 years but i only found live cd's with a pwd

Return to “Off topic discussion”