liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Anyone got a router recommendation?

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:56 pm

My wireless router is falling over about once a day now; it's time to replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I'll be staying away from D-Link in the future, and Belkin's history of redirecting HTTP requests to adverts also rules them out, but other than that I'm all ears.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

tom_eaton

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Wrt-54g with dd-wrt firmware. Rock solid, flexible, powerful

n3tw0rk5

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm surprised i've been using d-link for the past 7 years without an issue, current router is a dir-635.

welshblob

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi Liz,

ADSL or cable?  If cable then I'd suggest getting something that is flashable by dd-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com) as its rock solid, feature rich and much better than the oem firmware. I've had great success with buffalo (WHR-G54S \  WZR-HP-G54) and a linksys (WRT54G). You never know your current d-link might be supported assuming it isn't falling over due to hardware failing.

If ADSL I have no idea sorry and dd-wrt doesn't support them . Also if you live in a big house with thick\real walls then maybe go for an N over a G.

Rob

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:23 pm

not that this is going to be any help i'd say a WRT54g with dd-wrt or openwrt on it as first choice. failing that and/or you want 802.11n then anything that openwrt or dd-wrt can be installed on is good.

Joules

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:45 am

Seriously old (7yrs+) but trusty 3com Office Connect 3CRWDR100A-72 you can only find them secondhand these days, but have 2 here and never lost one even during lightning storms. Fitted loads and never had an issue...

tech guru

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:30 am

I second the suggestion of the wrt 54g router , I have been using them for years and they are rock solid and some of the older units have replaceable antennas so you can really boost your range 

As an alternate to some of the firmware suggested here, you could flash it with tomato and have a real strong os with numerous user defined functions.

review

http://lifehacker.com/344765/t.....ith-tomato

software page

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Jessie

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:32 am

I use the Cisco Linksys E4200.  There is a version two out now, but I have V1.  It has been rock stable.  The only feature that used to be flaky was the FTP and Media server functions.  But after the last firmware that has cleared up.

It is a dual band, the 5Ghz band tends to be way more speedy on it than the 2.4Ghz.  I have devices that support both and overall I have gotten better signal strength with the 5Ghz devices.  Many of them connect at 300 Mbps they claim that 450 is the max but I haven't seen a device yet connect at that speed.  It also claims that with the right adapter I can connect to both bands at the same time, but since I don't have an adapter to test that with I can't verify how that works.

laszlo

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:17 am

I would use a Raspberry Pi for the routing functions.  Likely you are stuck with using NAT, and as you probably know those little home routers don't have much memory and can't track many connections.  For NAT to work it must track every attempted connection and there are only so many slots before it fills up and drops new connections.  A common 'solution' is to reboot the router when it's acting up, which causes it to start with no tracked connections, so then it works again for a while.

You could simply connect the RasPi to one of the switch ports on the wireless router and the wifi router would become just a bridge essentially.. then do all the routing and NAT on Raspberry

The ideal thing would be to just not use hacks like NAT in the first place though, as even the cheap 4 meg memory routers can forward 1500 byte packets just fine, long as they don't have to remember who sent them to whoever else.

Would anyone be interested in a Raspberry Pi router 'project'?  It seems somewhat trivial but I guess an example might help people get started if I write it up.

Viscacha

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:59 pm

I wanted something that did 2.4Ghz to support the few devices that supported nothing else and 5Ghz to get out of the way of the multiple BT routers that seemed to follow me no matter what channel I opted for (I don't seem to be the only one with that gripe).

After being rather put off by the user reviews of how flaky the Netgear offerings and their support were I decided to leave the traditional network brands, given I've had crap equipment from almost all of them and tried the Asus RT-N56U - a fine choice as it turns out. Fast, stable, easy to use, can charge your iPad, attractive, small, unobtrusive, reasonably priced - what more could you ask for?

On the ADSL side I stuck a cheap TP-Link router in bridging mode - it stinks (no really gives of a scent), I lost 4Mb just like that. So I can't reccomend that.

At work I chose a Draytek Vigor 2830n and I can't fault that either, I've never seen a router apply new settings and reboot so quickly. Of course Drayteks are very business focused but you still have UPNP if you want it and the option of adding a 3G modem, a 2nd ADSL/Cable, VOIP phones(if you add the letter V), VPN's,VLAN's and a host of other nerdy delights.

Return to “Off topic discussion”