Hugh Reynolds

Re: Pedant Engineer Vent :)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:39 pm

I do hope I haven"t offended Chromatix with my teasing.

I had rather expected him to come back with some fluffy ruminant jokes.

But instead I salute his proud nation of 5 million giving those Canuks and Ruskis such a hard time on ice.

Ylpeä Suomen kansa yhdistää.

Pobl yn fach or Ffindir uno.  (My Welsh is probably also incorrectly spelt.  My mother tongue, but not my first.)….edited to capitalise Ffindir and …

@Chromatix

Your country is young and free.  Mine is old and occupied.  It make me bitter and humourless.

Chromatix

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Ah well, I'm not really Finnish either - I just live here.

Which leads me to another problem: setting up computers so that they interpret keyboards and format numbers and dates in the way I'm used to, but use the Euro as the default currency.  The nearest equivalent I can seem to muster is setting them to Irish locale.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Burngate

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Russia: half my late wife's ancestors came from a village in Leicestershire; down the road was another village known locally as Russia. There's also another area just up the road from here known as Little Russia.

Wales:the other half of my wife's ancestors came from south Wales. Apparently the northern languge is slightly different. So one Welsh word that means 'bucket' at one end of the country means 'cup' at the other. Amazing what you get if you ask for tea.

America (or at least the US bit): there was a long discussion about why Fibre-channel was spelled the way it is. We were authoritatively told it was to distinguish it from Fiber - the long stringy thing.

johnbeetem

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:17 pm

JMO/YMMV:

I would like to rant about non-EE's who call themselves "geeks".  As the saying goes, you can't spell geek without "EE".  If you can't explain ground bounce, you're not a proper geek.  Unless you work in a circus and bite the heads off live chickens.  You'll have to be satisfied with being a nerd.

Prometheus

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:36 pm

John Beetem said:

JMO/YMMV:

I would like to rant about non-EE's who call themselves "geeks".  As the saying goes, you can't spell geek without "EE".  If you can't explain ground bounce, you're not a proper geek.  Unless you work in a circus and bite the heads off live chickens.  You'll have to be satisfied with being a nerd.

Objection!

http://catandgirl.com/?p=1341

powerpiglet

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:47 am

kme said:

The volume unit liter (dm³), has the symbol "l", NOT "L". This is probably a chock to most Americans, but they never got SI in the first place.
Are you being serious? Litre was granted an exception in 1979 and either symbol is acceptable, because lowercase L looks awfully like the digit 1.

See here:

http://www.bipm.org/en/si/si_b.....able6.html

Vindicator

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:09 am

It is funny how a person can acquire education in what ever form and use it to beat down everyone else and use it to substitute for the word rudeness.

They also use it for an excuse to correct rather than to listen which is probably the better path.

I work as a mechanic and can tell you that engineer's need to learn how to work on what they design.

They definitely do not know how to listen to the mechanic or the operator of the equipment, And I blame that on the education and lack there of.

We as a world society need people with education and the ability to use it reasonably towards other people.

Spend more time listening than worrying about correcting others and maybe then you will truly learn something.

completely off topic I know
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

riffraff

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:59 am

Wooloomooloo said:

Well, since we're in the nitpicking section anyway there's no such word as "definately" either. And don't even start me up on "nukular" with which an amazing number of TV hosts and guests seem to be totally fine…

One re-re pronunciation pundits still ride former President Bush about till this day.

Don't have much of an online record of Jimmy Carter's speeches, but I seem to remember a teacher of mine going on a rant about him and this particular mispronunciation making Georgians appear ignorant (as if he alone were responsible for that perception) and being unacceptable as he was a "nookular" engineer.

robleady

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:43 am

Getting back on topic (can you do that in an off topic forum ?!) my pet hate at the moment is Broadband speeds.

Visit any of the main suppliers, and they'll proudly offer you download speeds of "up to 20 meg" or "up to 100Mb".

Maybe the drop of the "per time period" is a subtle way of justifying you not getting anywhere near what you think you're going to.

Unfortunately it's not just the broadband suppliers who get it wrong.  I've seen contracts that say company A are going to be supplying a redundant 100MBps network link.  I dread to think how much BT would actually charge for one of them - but then again you'd probably end up with 100mbph.

Cheers,

Rob

M.Eng (Hons), LMB

Andre_P

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:48 am

Hi Vindicator,

I hear you, I'll give you some my background.

When I graduated there was a significant recession, you took whatever job you could. So even though my degree was effectively in Semiconductor Physics I ended up working for a company that made high speed machinery looking at the Electrical/Electronic control systems.

However they had this amazing group of technicians which included a Master Tool Maker. These guys would have been up there on the Manhatten Project. Anyway I remember needing a very good metal target so quickly drew (back of envelope type drawing) up something and presented it to one of the guys.

His response was (roughly, this was 20 yrs ago)

"Yes Andre' I can see what you are aiming at but it's wrong"

I looked quizzically at him, seeing my consternation and he then asked

"What are you Andre'"

After much thought I responded

"An Engineer"

"Good, and Engineers don't use Centimetres, they use Millimetres in their drawings, go and draw it again properly and I will make it for you"

So I dutifully redrew it with the correct markings and hey presto a beautiful target was created.

A second part which I think really does validate your point.

I moved to a job where there was a manufacturing group, lots of people doing stuff ranging from soldering to assembly. I'd never been designed for this stuff before so I wandered downstairs to the group to have a look.

I stopped at one lady, explained who I was, told her of my inexperience and asked if she minded if asked her opinion on what would make it easier to put together.

"You're an Engineer ?"

"Yes"

"From upstairs ?"

"Well no one has EVER come and asked US before !"

"but that's silly, you guys have to put this together and see all the issues"

Anyway I had accidently chosen the 'GodMother' of the manufacturing group, there was management and then there was Shirley. If you were ok by her then you were ok downstairs, and I was approved of .

The basic tenat, while not being religious myself, is

'do unto others, as you would have them do unto you'

and you will go a long way.

Andre_P

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:51 am

Ah yes Rob, I remember having a 'discussion' with someone at Virgin Media insisting that I had a 50 MBs link, I tried to correct her but she would not have it. I guess I should have demanded it then and listened to the back tracking !

Wooloomooloo

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Andre_P said:

Ah yes Rob, I remember having a 'discussion' with someone at Virgin Media insisting that I had a 50 MBs link, I tried to correct her but she would not have it. I guess I should have demanded it then and listened to the back tracking !

Ah, but all these confounding bits and bytes (and octets and nibbles - obviously rocket science, all of it) pales in comparison with what surely must be the gold standard of corporate PR ineptitude - the famed Verizon cent math: http://verizonmath.blogspot.co.....cents.html

johnbeetem

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:26 pm

riFFraFF said:

Wooloomooloo said:

And don't even start me up on "nukular" with which an amazing number of TV hosts and guests seem to be totally fine…

Don't have much of an online record of Jimmy Carter's speeches, but I seem to remember a teacher of mine going on a rant about him and this particular mispronunciation making Georgians appear ignorant (as if he alone were responsible for that perception) and being unacceptable as he was a "nookular" engineer.
IIRC, Jimmy Carter's version was "nookier", which is easier to take than W's "nukular".  Although I may be remembering Dan Aykroyd's performance in "The Pepsi Syndrome" on Saturday Night Live: "Ah'm a nookier engineer, and ah'm not scaird."
Now "Aykroyd" -- that's hard to spell.  Need to look it up each time

johnbeetem

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:42 pm

riFFraFF said:

.. this particular mispronunciation making Georgians appear ignorant (as if he alone were responsible for that perception) ...
Worst "Jawjah" accent I ever heard was the great Sir Michael Caine in Hurry Sundown, a dreary melodrama I would not recommend to anyone except for hearing Caine's brave attempt (it's right at the beginning of the film, so you can call it quits early).  In his first line he channels the character "Dude Boy" from Tobacco Road and it sounds truly awful IMHO.  At the end of the line he looks like he's ready to murder his agent.  As the film progresses the Cockney keeps trying to slip through.

Andre_P

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 am

@John Beetem

Just wondering what the immortal line

"You're only suppossed to blow the bloody doors off!"

would sound like in a Georgian accent.

boarsblood

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 pm

~Neil~ said:

...Or watch an LCD display.

I had look away from the Wiki when I saw the RPi had a "DSI interface".

(Those from across the pond should note the position of the full stop above; it's outside the quotation marks.)

Gert van Loo

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:31 pm

I sometimes can't help myself and feel smug if I can correct the English of my colleagues. I know it is very pedantic, but fun.

I thought the correct phrase was "I had to look away".

Bakul Shah

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Missing words in sentences is becoming more and more common - even in "respected" online newspapers! I think this has to do with people either not reviewing (or not carefully) before sending or may be we all are speed reading and autocorrecting!

johnbeetem

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 pm

Bakul said:

Missing words in sentences is are becoming more and more common - even in "respected" online newspapers! I think this has to do with people either not reviewing (or not carefully) before sending or maybe we all are speed-reading and auto-correcting!

Oh goody, we're branching out from engineering pedantry into English usage. So my pendantic rant for today is about missing initial apostrophes, specifically the word 'blog which everyone seems to write blog. As you undoubtedly know, 'blog is short for weblog. However, since we dropped "web", there ought to be an initial apostrophe! Am I the only one who writes it 'blog?

Now after a period of time, the apostrophe is often dropped. For example, you generally see see rickshaw these days, not 'rickshaw even though it's a shortened form of jinrikisha.  But the apostrophe ought to be included for at least 50 years IMO.  OTOH, some words have managed to keep their initial apostrophes thanks to Shakespeare: 'zounds, 'sblood.

Burngate

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:23 pm

John Beetem said:

Bakul said:

Missing words in sentences is are becoming more and more common – …

If they're missing, aren't they becomming less common? Or is it that the act of missing words out is becoming more common?

Editted for poor grammar

Chromatix

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 pm

I may have all you pedants beat - since I am the only native English speaker in the office, I am the de facto local authority on the language.

At the same time, the chaps usually speak and write English sufficiently well to not cause me fits.  This is a Good Thing.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

TheEponymousBob

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:27 pm

I used to work on FIX (Financial Information eXchange) software, and we had a lovely Chinese colleague whose English (whilst infinitely better than my Mandarin) was at times rather tricky to follow.  The biggest problem was that she would pronounce silent 'e's.

This became a nightmare when I was talking to her about migrating some of her generic message validation routines, since FIX message fields come in various types, including "date" and "data".

"How are you validating data fields?"

"Year month day."

"Uhm...".

tufty

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:58 pm

Ahrgh, bloody Android won"t quote messages and I can"t be fagged to go to my computer.

Anyroadup, there"s an enormous number of posts on here that are, frankly, painful to read. When someone posts "wat language should i lern" I"m tempted to reply "English". Even ignoring the pismellings and crapitalisations, the grammar is cry enough to make me. Still, at least they can manage simple addition. Be thankful for small mercies, eh?

Vent over. I"ll go back to biting my tongue.

Simon

bredman

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:14 pm

I have noticed that this forum editor keeps dropping random letters, so don't blame everybody for their spelling.

You're lucky there is a basic addition test to keep away the real nutters.

Bakul Shah

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Burngate said:

John Beetem said:

Bakul said:

The phenomenon of "Missing words in sentences" is are is becoming more and more common – …

If they're missing, aren't they becomming less common? Or is it that the act of missing words out is becoming more common?

Editted for poor grammar

As I was saying I was just pointing out that people seem to leave words out more often than before and the rate of omission seems to be growing too. They do this even when they know (or should know) the grammar -- this is something I notice (just like misspellings) but not something I care to correct; I generally stick to technical pedantry!

"Editted for poor grammar"? Hmm....

Return to “Off topic discussion”