sayhello

finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:45 am

good day dear Raspberry-Pi fellows,

finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

Consider the following case-scenario: you sit in front of your notebook and you just stumbled across an exciting article you really want to read,
unfortunatly you have no time at all at the moment; you have a bunch of work that need to be done before you can sit down and read it.

What can you do?

- leave the text open in your browser.
- email the the URL-link to yourself, but
- use the toolset of your browser to bookmark the site...

question: is there a more convenient and easy-to-read way.

i have seen some of the following:

- Evernote Web Clipper
- Trello
- Bitly
- Pocket
- Pinterest

and besides the above mentioned i have had a quick view on Digg and Mix and even to Reddit
and others more. I would choose a easy to use one.
Question: is there a google-tool also available.

which tool do you use!?

look forward to hear from you

tpyo kingg

Re: finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:51 am

sayhello wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:45 am
which tool do you use!?
Interesting question.

I use to have a custom, homemade database and it was terribly useful. I made options for each record to have multiple instances of URI, title, description, keywords, quotations, and my own comments. Then there were also abstract, date entered, official date of publication, and a space for the full, but unformatted, text of the page itself. Unfortunately that tool was tied to OSX on PPC and when that went away, so did my resource. I plan to someday, Real Soon Now ®, get around to doing something with SQLite, python3, and PyQt. However, as you can see from the technologies, time has passed...

I've been able to scrape by for far too long with XHTML files containing a small subset of those fields, accessible using various XPath tools. It functions for my current work flow but if I were writing even a little more, then I would need to get off my backside and write a proper database front end.

Only rarely have I used the built-in bookmarking capabilities of the browsers though I do keep a lot of reference materials in pulldown menus within the the bookmarks Toolbar.

YMMV

LTolledo

Re: finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 am

doesn't Chromium have a bookmark option..... the star icon on the right side..... or is that the "wrong way" to bookmark a website :shock:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

epoch1970

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:24 am

Sometimes I print to PDF, with relative success depending on the site. Often I just keep the tab open ...
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:25 am

LTolledo wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 am
doesn't Chromium have a bookmark option..... the star icon on the right side..... or is that the "wrong way" to bookmark a website :shock:
This. Easy to use, hierarchical, customisable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Heater

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 pm

Generally I find that links I want to keep have been found when searching around for some solution or other for some project I'm working on.

Those links get saved into documentation and notes for whatever project that is. Like the README files in git repositories. Sometimes even pasted into comments in the actual source code.

That way those "bookmarks" are always somewhere I know I can find them quickly. They are in my face long after I have forgotten about them and am returning to some old project.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

r3d4

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:16 am

i keep my bookmarks in data silos just like everybody else :cry:

RossDv8

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:16 am

Turn ON the Bookmarks bar in your web browser. Create a folder for each main subject you might be interested in and one for 'STUFF'.
Some Folders on my Chromium Bookmarks Bar on my Pi 4 are:
MEDIA - YouTube - HISTORY - TRAVEL - LINUX - Lifestyle - OddStuff
You can fit about 9 folders along the Chromium bookmarks bar if you keep the titles shortish.

Then just drag the bookmarks onto whatever folder is relevant. If there isn't one - just drag it into 'STUFF'.
You can use Bookmark Manager to rearrange things when you need to. You can create sub folders inside the ones on the Bookmarks Bar.

It's dead simple
It's built into just about every browser (in most thought the bookmarks bar is OFF by default)
It works
It's fast
You can reorganise the bookmarks easily.

You can also export your bookmarks in a html file if you need to access them from somewhere else.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

thatchunkylad198966

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:20 pm

I use my web-browsers built in-tool to do bookmarks, no need for a "tool"...
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

Strongsoul

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:07 am

I use ordinary google bookmarks and sort all the links by folders.

swampdog

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:28 pm

This pile of junk is still sat on my internal webserver for really important links..

Code: Select all

<?php
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
class qlPage	{
		//private
var		$qldir;
var		$ufile;
var		$title;
var		$bcol		="#ff9933";
var		$tablewidth	="85%";
var		$td1L		="<td><center><font size=\"-1\"><a href=\"",
		$td1C		="\">",
		$td1R		="</a></font></center></td>",
		$td0L		="<td>",
        $td0C		="&nbsp;",
        $td0R		="</td>";

//public
		function qlPage(
        	$qldir_
            	="ql",
            $ufile_
            	="index.url"
        )
        {
         $this->qldir = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/".$qldir_;
         $this->ufile = $ufile_;
#         $this->title = strstr($qldir,"/");
         $this->title = strstr($this->qldir,"/");
         if (empty($this->title))
         	$this->title = "QuickLinks"
         ;

$this->loBeg();
         $this->loLoadUrls();
         $this->loEnd();
        }

//private
        function loBeg(
        )
        {
         echo "<html><head><title>".$this->title."</title></head>";
         echo "<body bgcolor=\"".$this->bcol."\">";
         echo "<center>";
         echo "<table border=\"1\" width=\"".$this->tablewidth."\">";
        }

function loEnd(
        )
        {
         echo "</table>";
         echo "</center>";
         echo "</body></html>";
        }

function loLoadUrls(
        )
        {
         //file format expects one or more of any of these three line types...
         //<user text>=<hyperlink> <EOLN>
         //<blank> <EOLN>
         //<blank>=<blank> <EOLN>
         //...and the datafile can sit in cwd (we're showing it anyway)

$urls = file($this->qldir."/".$this->ufile);
         echo "<tr>";
         for ($i = 0; $i < count($urls); $i++)	{
         	$b = trim($urls[$i]);
            if (empty($b))	{
            	echo "</tr><tr>";
                continue;
            }

//            $url = explode("=",$urls[$i]);
            $url = explode("^",$urls[$i]);

if	(
            	(0 == ($len = strlen(trim($url[0]))))
                &&
                (0 != strlen(trim($url[1])))
                )
                $url[0] = "???"
            ;
//~~~FIXME: wont grok = on rhs
            echo $len
            	? $this->td1L.$url[1].$this->td1C.$url[0].$this->td1R
                : $this->td0L.$this->td0C.$this->td0R
            ;
         }
         echo "</tr>";
        }
}
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ?>
It was a "friday afternoon" coding job. We'd been told off the previous week(*) so I figured I'd best know which browser I was looking at when I tunnelled out home (to bypass restricted local web proxy) hence the horrible orange colour.

(*) Big iron boxes tend to display status codes as they're booting. We discovered how to write to that display and picked on a box with a bright display just inside the datacentre entry. Spent friday morning writing a scrolling routine (only had about 16 characters) and left for a liquid lunch. How were we to know manglement would decide to give a tour of the datacentre. First thing the guests see is "Help Me. I'm trapped in here!!!" slowly scrolling from left to right on a loop.

ZacKnox

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:13 am

RossDv8 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:16 am
Turn ON the Bookmarks bar in your web browser. Create a folder for each main subject you might be interested in and one for 'STUFF'.
Some Folders on my Chromium Bookmarks Bar on my Pi 4 are:
MEDIA - YouTube - HISTORY - TRAVEL - LINUX - Lifestyle - OddStuff
You can fit about 9 folders along the Chromium bookmarks bar if you keep the titles shortish.

Then just drag the bookmarks onto whatever folder is relevant. If there isn't one - just drag it into 'STUFF'.
You can use Bookmark Manager to rearrange things when you need to. You can create sub folders inside the ones on the Bookmarks Bar.

It's dead simple
It's built into just about every browser (in most thought the bookmarks bar is OFF by default)
It works
It's fast
You can reorganise the bookmarks easily.

You can also export your bookmarks in a html file if you need to access them from somewhere else.

I do the same, and this is so useful and practice for me.

Return to “Off topic discussion”