Beorn_Bear

Raspberry Pi Zero W Revision

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:17 am

In case that there will be a new Raspberry Pi Zero W in development, I would like to see a USB 3.0 port as well as a dual core processor with a heat spreader and possible more RAM (as RAM prices are dropping slightly).

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W Revision

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 am

Beorn_Bear wrote:
In case that there will be a new Raspberry Pi Zero W in development, I would like to see a USB 3.0 port as well as a dual core processor with a heat spreader and possible more RAM (as RAM prices are dropping slightly).

Please do not post wish lists, it has all been asked before, it is insulting to believe that RPT have not thought of this idea.
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

ejolson

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:43 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 am
Beorn_Bear wrote:

Please do not post wish lists, it has all been asked before, it is insulting to believe that RPT have not thought of this idea.
Where in the original post was it implied that the Raspberry Pi engineers had not thought of USB 3.0 ports, dual-core processors, heat spreaders or more RAM?

The main difficulty, as I see it, with posting wish lists is that this forum is intended to be a place where problems with current products are resolved. Thus, wish lists are off-topic.

Before this thread gets locked, it's worth adding that I find it unlikely any Raspberry Pi engineer would feel insulted by an enthusiastic customer posting an interest in a future product. The team responsible for putting the Pi together is clearly competent, confident in their work and have no reason to be easily offended.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:06 am

In before the lock...

The problem with the requested upgrades is the same one that has existed since launch. Where are you going to find an SoC with the desired characteristics that can take PoP RAM and at an acceptable cost to maintain the retail price?

rpdom

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
In before the lock...

The problem with the requested upgrades is the same one that has existed since launch. Where are you going to find an SoC with the desired characteristics that can take PoP RAM and at an acceptable cost to maintain the retail price?
The SoC is the main issue there. Having the flipped chip and metal case precludes the use of PoP RAM, so therefore this would be impossible.

As for USB3.0, the USB controller on the Pi 4B is external to the SoC and connected via a PCIe bus. That would mean the proposed Zero would need a USB controller chip too - still no board space for that - unless a completely new SoC is designed just for the Zero, which would be impractical.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:08 am

rpdom wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
In before the lock...

The SoC is the main issue there. Having the flipped chip and metal case precludes the use of PoP RAM, so therefore this would be impossible.

As for USB3.0, the USB controller on the Pi 4B is external to the SoC and connected via a PCIe bus. That would mean the proposed Zero would need a USB controller chip too - still no board space for that - unless a completely new SoC is designed just for the Zero, which would be impractical.

OK my reply was a bit harsh, but it has been asked and regurgitated many times.

There are a range of products

$5 Zero, $10 ZeroW, $15 ZeroWH, $25 3A+

It is clearly stated that they are planned to be available for another 4/5 years and therefore if as the OP suggested they make a product to his specification and Zero price point ( unlikely ) it would decimate sales of current products

Then there is the fact as stated above and in many other posts that a complete redesign would be required.

So yes it is a post posted without any due consideration of what they want may not be either feasible or viable.

Yes memory prices do go up and down but PoP memory is a niche market.

Bottom line is research, research, research then post a costing of BoM.....
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

rpdom

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:30 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:08 am
OK my reply was a bit harsh, but it has been asked and regurgitated many times.
Not quite sure why you are quoting me and W. H. Heydt in your reply. We didn't criticise your response at all.
Bottom line is research, research, research then post a costing of BoM.....
Indeed. Also take into consideration the cost of manufacture and updating the production and testing line for the new model which will have a niche market and therefore be more expensive to produce in smaller numbers.

Conclusion: It's not going to happen (unless something magical appears). Don't hold your breath.

Zebedeee

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 am

Beorn_Bear wrote:
Don't forget the pink pony and the rainbow unicorn.

Return to “Off topic discussion”