mightygoose

Re: Bitcoin community has noticed us....

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 pm

whilst surfing, I was moseying round the Bitcoin forums...

[linkie]

discussion as to the Raspi being a viable controller for a FPGA mining rig.

Those guys are massively into power efficiency, but knowing precious little about FPGA, perhaps someone better informed could wander over there and maybe explain Rpi a little bit.

also, i am sure this was answered elsewhere but could RPi be used as a very basic local DNS server? could it even run BIND?

Benedict White

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:32 pm

mightygoose said:

whilst surfing, I was moseying round the Bitcoin forums...

[linkie]

discussion as to the Raspi being a viable controller for a FPGA mining rig.

Those guys are massively into power efficiency, but knowing precious little about FPGA, perhaps someone better informed could wander over there and maybe explain Rpi a little bit.

also, i am sure this was answered elsewhere but could RPi be used as a very basic local DNS server? could it even run BIND?

No idea about field programmable gate arrays, but if it fills there boots great.

As for Bind, I would be surprised if it didn't.  I run rbldnsd and bind on a pc so rubbish I can't even throw it away, and it gets 50 to 100 thousand hits  a day which it handles no problem. (Bind acts as a cache for rbldnsd as well as restricting who can access the servers). From what I understand, the Raspberry Pi is somewhat over powered for the job....

(I use the same box as a general purpose Linux box, hence it's hostname, gp.)

mightygoose

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:46 pm

more thinking of creating a namecoin DNS. Just for the hell of it.

Benedict White

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:51 pm

mightygoose said:

more thinking of creating a namecoin DNS. Just for the hell of it.

No idea of what one of those is, but the Pi will run bind well I would have thought.

mightygoose

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:58 pm

[linkie]

What is Namecoin

Namecoin is a peer-to-peer generic name/value datastore system based on Bitcoin technology (a decentralized cryptocurrency). It allows you to :

Securely register names (domains for example), no possible censorship!
Trade and transact namecoins, the digital currency NMC.

Benedict White

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 am

mightygoose said:

[linkie]

What is Namecoin

Namecoin is a peer-to-peer generic name/value datastore system based on Bitcoin technology (a decentralized cryptocurrency). It allows you to :

Securely register names (domains for example), no possible censorship!
Trade and transact namecoins, the digital currency NMC.

It will not run the bitcoin mining software at speed without Broadcom unleashing the power of the GPU.

mightygoose

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:43 am

figured as much, but I have no interest in mining, I am more concerned with hosting a  DNS server to contribute to decentralized DNS efforts. you know, getting ahead of the inevitable SOPA/PIPA/PCIP/ACTA/UTRS tide.

Benedict White

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Well, bind should run... if you can compile it on Arm there shouldn't be a problem.

Chromatix

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Just from reading this thread, I suspect what the Bitcoin folks are suggesting is to make custom processing hardware (in the FPGA), and simply use the R-Pi as a frontend to it.  I see nothing wrong with this at all - the GPIOs are there for just this sort of reason.  Quite likely an R-Pi plus FPGA kit is better value for money (and per watt) than a full PC running a GPU, for this specific application.

I know nothing about Namecoin, but the R-Pi should be fast enough to perform many light server duties, and it also has the advantage of being light enough on power to make a good ghetto UPS for (burglar-alarm battery, car battery charger, in-car phone charger, wire them all together, done).  I use an old PowerBook G3 of roughly equivalent CPU power (lower clock speed but better IPC) as a main firewall, complete with DNS and Web caches, and it keeps up quite well with an ADSL2+ line.

The R-Pi would probably do less well as a fileserver, because all of it's data has to go through a single USB link.  But again, for very light duty it would still work, so you could keep your music collection attached to it.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

norulezapply

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 am

Bitcoin community has noticed us….

Indeed we have!

You are correct that one of our key factors in hardware choice is power usage. Power usage and space are the two main reasons why I love the Raspberry Pi so much.

Unfortunately I don't have any FPGAs yet, only GPUs, but I am very interested in using the Raspberry Pi as a very low power Bitcoin client. Perhaps one for secure storage and one for distributing work to my GPUs.

If only these things had PCI-e slots... But it's not as if the Raspberry Pi isn't awesome enough already!

They've done a great job with it so far

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:18 pm

I had someone ask me today whether we could take payment for a Raspberry Pi in Bitcoins. I had to let them down.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

norulezapply

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 pm

liz said:

I had someone ask me today whether we could take payment for a Raspberry Pi in Bitcoins. I had to let them down.

That was me unfortunately liz!

I'll be buying one in GBP instead:)

Piw32

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:05 am

Lattice (and maybe any other CPLD maker) have a CPLD with PCIe IP, so you can add a PCIe port to any CPU.

Connect such device to the PI through GPIO, add PCIe support into the kernel, then plug in your egg fryer (NVIDIA)

killor

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm

I make and sell cases for Raspberry Pi in Bitcoins also!... :D
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

ghans

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:55 pm

There are at least two CPLD/FPGA add-on boards specifically
for the Pi , they have been advertised by their respective
creators sowhere on this board ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Off topic discussion”