thrustpork

Can you guys see this post?

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Sorry to bother with this, but could someone please reply if they see this post? I've made upwards of 10 post/replies with no responses, and I'm not sure as to whether people just didn't feel like replying, or if I'm actually shadow banned in some fashion. I feel like the questions I've asked in my other post have just been so specific that no one had any relevant information to reply with, but I cant shake the possibility that no one can even see them. Please help! lol

DougieLawson

Re: Can you guys see this post?

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:38 pm

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dl324

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:40 pm

You can see the number of views (unless you're using a phone or tablet):
tmp.jpg
tmp.jpg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
I can't recall how many posts they moderate on this forum. It took the better part of a week for my first post to be "posted".
Last edited by dl324 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrustpork

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks so much! I was starting to think I was crazy. Guess my content just hasn't been that interesting.

rpdom

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:46 pm

thrustpork wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:41 pm
Thanks so much! I was starting to think I was crazy. Guess my content just hasn't been that interesting.
This is a very busy forum. Sometimes posts get missed, but the more likely thing is that no one who saw your posts had anything useful to say about them at the time. It happens.

thrustpork

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll just keep poking the threads once a week or so in hopes of catching the right persons eye.

hippy

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:33 pm

thrustpork wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm
I'll just keep poking the threads once a week or so in hopes of catching the right persons eye.
People often hate bumped posts so I would suggest not doing that, deleting the bumps you have added.

thrustpork

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but bumping once in a while seems more logical than creating an entirely new thread for the same issue. Especially when there is already a log of information in the current thread (like the FreeCAD thread I'm in).

scruss

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:03 am

don't bump threads, ever: they get flagged and deleted. This forum gets enough eyes that if someone can answer, they will. If they don't, either no-one knows or you made the question too vague or too much work to respond to.

You also might wanna do something about that user name. This place is family friendly
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Gavinmc42

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:13 am

The other thing is especially with Pi4, people don't reply because they just don't know yet.
No answers to questions on a new Pi that has been out for a month?
This has a BCM2711 and there is not even a manual for it yet.

Linux and all the software that runs on Linux is a huge market, we just don't have all the answer here.
The other thing is the RPT guys need repeatable bugs to be able to find and fix them.
Just saying "why does this not work" is usually not specific enough.

Not every single piece of Linux software can be tested before release.
It s just not possible, there is too much choice.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

kennyc

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:13 am
Not every single piece of Linux software can be tested before release.
It s just not possible, there is too much choice.
What? What???? How can it be!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Blog: http://mansionsofthemind.blogspot.com/
Art: https://www.deviantart.com/kennyc
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

thrustpork

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:26 am

What's wrong with my username? I got this over 10 years ago, auto-generated on the XBox, have used it on everything every since, and I don't see how it could possibly be offensive. I also understand some people don't like bumping, especially excessively, but it makes so much more sense than reposting over and over again, so I'm not going to argue against that anymore. My bump on my audio issue actually got me great information.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. Have a wonderful weekend.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:39 am

thrustpork wrote:
What's wrong with my username? I got this over 10 years ago, auto-generated on the XBox, have used it on everything every since, and I don't see how it could possibly be offensive. I also understand some people don't like bumping, especially excessively, but it makes so much more sense than reposting over and over again, so I'm not going to argue against that anymore. My bump on my audio issue actually got me great information.

You have forgotten that this whole forum is run on a Voluntary Basis, therefore no one has a right to demand or expect an answer.

If someone feels he can contribute to a Post they will.

FYI all first posts are moderated usually within 24 hours and subsequent posts may be deleted if they do meet the criteria laid down in the Forum Rules.

The Moderators have a hard job removing spam and offensive posts before they appear so each member of this forum is a very small fish in a vast ocean !
Retired disgracefully.....

thrustpork

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:06 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:39 am
thrustpork wrote:

You have forgotten that this whole forum is run on a Voluntary Basis, therefore no one has a right to demand or expect an answer.

If someone feels he can contribute to a Post they will.

FYI all first posts are moderated usually within 24 hours and subsequent posts may be deleted if they do meet the criteria laid down in the Forum Rules.

The Moderators have a hard job removing spam and offensive posts before they appear so each member of this forum is a very small fish in a vast ocean !
I just read every post of mine in this thread two times over, and I fail to see where I demanded or expected anyone to answer me. I feel you might be misunderstanding or misreading what I have said. We should de-escalate here, I'm not trying to "poke the bear" so to speak.

I've come to the conclusion (as stated above) that the questions I had asked were so specific that they only pertained to a small subset of users on this forum, and therefore, were overlooked due to lack of interest, or an actual answer. It also could simply be the time of day in which I posted them. I am perfectly content with any of those situations. Either way, I don't feel the need to explain myself any further, as I think this may just continue to be a pointless debate of sorts, so best wishes and cheers.

rpdom

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:42 am

Generally on here, bumping is disliked. Reposting is against the rules and will lead to gentle (at first) warnings and the duplicate post being deleted.

Heater

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:04 am

Your chosen user name has the schoolboy in me snickering at the back of the class with the obscene imagery of it.

Perhaps that is a discouragement for some to respond here.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Imperf3kt

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 am

Heater wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:04 am
Your chosen user name has the schoolboy in me snickering at the back of the class with the obscene imagery of it.

Perhaps that is a discouragement for some to respond here.
It took this post for me to get the hidden message behind the username that people are referring to.

I'm pretty sure it should be fine, it isn't exactly obvious or offensive.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Heater

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:48 am

What's wrong with my username? I got this over 10 years ago, auto-generated on the XBox, have used it on everything every since, and I don't see how it could possibly be offensive.
I'm guessing you are not from the UK then.

This is really not the place to explain it.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:20 am

OK, lets keep calm and be civil.

If you want to bump a post, that fine for a while, its preferably to a new thread. If you still don't get responses then its unlikely people have an answer, so probably not worth continuing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Off topic discussion”