tropism

Help! Weird Problem With Nethack Direction Keys

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 am

So I downloaded and installed nethack-console, The Great Waster of Time, Wrecker of Grades, etc, and am trying to play it using the terminal. But it seems to hate my keyboard.

The arrow keys Just Don't Work. Left arrow gets the drop menu, up gets the take-off menu, right gets the drop menu, down gets "Unknown command 'B'."

Using the number pad gets me the same results with the ordinal directions, except down doesn't provide a message. All of the other directions - 1,3,7,9 - get "Unknown command '~'". (Yes, I've tried it with numlock on and off. With it on it doesn't do anything on the first press; on the second press, it assumes I'm trying to repeat something and I was entering the count.)

I have no bloody clue what's going on. All keys work normally in X and in the console. I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard - a K540.

Any help would be appreciated.

ejolson

Re: Help! Weird Problem With Nethack Direction Keys

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 pm

tropism wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 am
So I downloaded and installed nethack-console, The Great Waster of Time, Wrecker of Grades, etc, and am trying to play it using the terminal. But it seems to hate my keyboard.

The arrow keys Just Don't Work. Left arrow gets the drop menu, up gets the take-off menu, right gets the drop menu, down gets "Unknown command 'B'."

Using the number pad gets me the same results with the ordinal directions, except down doesn't provide a message. All of the other directions - 1,3,7,9 - get "Unknown command '~'". (Yes, I've tried it with numlock on and off. With it on it doesn't do anything on the first press; on the second press, it assumes I'm trying to repeat something and I was entering the count.)

I have no bloody clue what's going on. All keys work normally in X and in the console. I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard - a K540.

Any help would be appreciated.
Nethack is intended as a training tool for the visual editor. Use the letters h, j, k and l for the basic directions. Diagonals are also possible but those commands don't work the same in vi.

Return to “Off topic discussion”