User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 am

@Heater:

Well my only RPi 3B+ died a couple of hours ago from heat stroke. I will gi ve it sone time and try it again, though I am not going to use a RPi 3B if it was to hot for a 3B+.

So I will have to rely on you for the speed testing. The tricky part is going to be proving working code on an ARMv6 that is tuned for best performance on an ARMv8, fun fun. That and being limited to the ARMv6 subset of instructions (not such a huge issue in this case).

Well that gives me to watch even closer on the Raspberry Pi 4B, see how it does thermally before I order one. Has any one seen how it does underclocked yet? I see a lot of overclocking, though no underclocking, despite the fact that the early firmware is running it a bit hot.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater
Posts: 12974
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:11 am

DavidS,
Wow, you stuck with Windows longer than any of the long time Windows users I personally know. Some of them jumped ship at Windows 3.x,
I sometimes wonder what parallel universe you have been living in. Some strange land where everyone had Archimedes computers and/or ran the fetal MS Windows.

Windows did not exist until 1985. Nobody used it until Windows 3.0 in 1990.

So there were no "long time" Windows users to be jumping ship in 1990. Unless you count 4 or 5 years as "long time". Which would be a bit odd as we are talking three decades from then til now.

Fun fact:

When Northern Telecom was porting Windows to it's Vienna PC's in 1985, I designed the icon they used for the trash bin!

Those Northern Telecom PC's ran on an Intel 80186 and had really nice high resolution monochrome displays, all kind of things needed tweaking in Windows to get it to run and look nice.

It was a toy, almost nobody used Windows til Win 3.1.

jahboater
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 am

Heater wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:11 am
Those Northern Telecom PC's ran on an Intel 80186
Wow, I didn't know the 186 was ever used like that.
It integrated a whole lot of stuff on the chip, perhaps a first step towards a modern SoC.

Intel gave me one - at the announcement of the 386 :(

Heater
Posts: 12974
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 am

It was pretty rare to see the 186 used in PC class machines.

It had some advantages for small machines, a few things that required extra chips on the 8088/86 were integrated. Those Northern Telecom Vienna machines were actually pretty small for the day, they had really sweet high res (for the time) monochrome displays, more like a MAC than a typical PC with it's green screen. They were actually built by Nokia when Nokia was known for car tires and rubber boots, not phones.

The only other time I have seen the 186 used for a machine running MS-DOS was the hand held computers by Husky: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/com ... st=1&c=285. The Huskies were really rugged. We used even more ruggedized Huskies for a military, hand held, secure, wireless communication project back then. The 186 was great there for it's low power capability.

Hmm... seems Husky is still in business and selling hand helds that run MS-DOS: https://www.handheldsystems.com/handhel ... x21dos.htm seems to now use a MIPS processor with a 186 emulator!

hippy
Posts: 5606
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 am

DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 am
ScriptBasic wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:53 am
Windows died for me when they killed off VB6.
Wow, you stuck with Windows longer than any of the long time Windows users I personally know. Some of them jumped ship at Windows 3.x, a few waited until Windows 95, and only a few actually stuck it out until the anouncement of Windows 2000, and the official discontinuation of real Windows to be replaced with NT.
I am not sure how one could classify anyone who baled at 3.x or 95 as a "long time Windows user". Most I know would have only started using Windows when 3.x arrived.

I really cannot believe many started with 1.x or 2.x and then decided that 3.x was so terrible they had to abandon ship, or the move from 3.x to 95 left them with no choice but to jump.

I am intrigued as to what it was about 3.x or 95 which they found so awful that they abandoned Windows.

Most programmers I know joined the Windows camp when 3.x arrived and stuck with it. It was Windows 8 which had people questioning if they should stick with it. Most I know stuck with Windows 7, or begrudgingly used Windows 10 when that arrived.

Many do also use and code for Linux, but most only started doing so when Shuttleworth provided a free/cheap installation CD for Ubuntu, which I recall may have been around 2005.

We seem to live in very different worlds.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23083
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 am

IIRC, 3.0/1 was the big adoption point of Windows, and for me, NT was the first 'real' windows.

I actually used Windows 2.0 on a Amstrad portable PC. That's going back a bit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14758
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:09 am

I stuck with Windows through to 98SE and NT4.0 at home, 2000 at work. Then I switched entirely to Linux as I found Windows far too restrictive for my development needs. I had been using various Unix systems at work for a few years and took one of them home (It took a few trips as it was too heavy for my car to take it all in one piece) to play with.

Heater
Posts: 12974
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 am

I used Win 3.1 for a dev machine for about a year, only because the client company for one project had it everywhere. It was great, I could play around creating funky graphical experiments in Windows, then shut it down back to DOS to get some real work done!

I bootlegged a copy of Win 95 on a stack of floppies from a different client project in '96 (Sorry MS). Toyed with it for a while then discovered Linux and installed RedHat from a boxed CD set.

Linux all the way since then until...

Now I seem to be using a Surface Pro the boss bought me and a bunch of "retired" PC's all using Windows 10.

Windows 10 is great. With the Linux Subsystem it is the first operating system from MS that is actually generally useful.

With all the great Open Source software we have today, KiCad, Inkscape, GIMP, Chrome, Firefox, MS Visual Studio Code, QtCreator, Lazarus, and all the rest that runs fine on Windows as well as Linux and Mac, sometimes I forget I'm not using a Linux machine!

Makes me feel a bit traitorous and guilty.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 pm
DavidS,
I am speaking of for programs that should be desktop programs, and have no place inside a web browser.
Sounds reasonable.

Problem is, it's the same problem.

If I want to make a program that can be used by as many people as possible I have to maintain executables for a awful lot of environments: Windows version, Mac version, Linux version (whatever that is there are many). I have to provide builds for Intel, ARM (at least), in 32 bit an 64 bit versions.

I could skip the binary executable part and just publish source, relying on people out there to get it built for different systems.

Well, decades of working like that that shows it does not work. Most applications end up only working on Windows or only on Mac and so on. It;s terrible.

People try to get around this by using cross-platform tool kits, GTk, Qt, whatever. That helps a bit.

People try to get around it by inventing Java and the entire GUI thing that comes with. That does not work either.

But hey, if I make the code in JS using web standards then bingo? It works everywhere for everyone. Fantastic!

I'm also happy if I can remove the "browser" part and just run that same JS as an app. In Electron for example. Like Visual Studio Code.
If every program ran on every OS there would be no reason to use any particular OS, and commercial OS's would have no meaning at all.

There is nothing wrong with targeting particular OS's, especially if you would like to see more users of a particular OS. It is normal for the set of available applications to be different based on choice of OS, it creates competition which is a good thing in any market. It also creates competition on the level of different software houses targeting different OS's, so improving there products to use the"This OS is better because it does X better'.

In other words having a diverse market improves products. Trying to unify everything just makes for lackluster products.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:11 am
DavidS,
Wow, you stuck with Windows longer than any of the long time Windows users I personally know. Some of them jumped ship at Windows 3.x,
I sometimes wonder what parallel universe you have been living in. Some strange land where everyone had Archimedes computers and/or ran the fetal MS Windows.

Windows did not exist until 1985. Nobody used it until Windows 3.0 in 1990.

So there were no "long time" Windows users to be jumping ship in 1990. Unless you count 4 or 5 years as "long time". Which would be a bit odd as we are talking three decades from then til now.

Fun fact:

When Northern Telecom was porting Windows to it's Vienna PC's in 1985, I designed the icon they used for the trash bin!

Those Northern Telecom PC's ran on an Intel 80186 and had really nice high resolution monochrome displays, all kind of things needed tweaking in Windows to get it to run and look nice.

It was a toy, almost nobody used Windows til Win 3.1.
Maybe not many used Windows before 3.1, though some did. Of those that did many did not like the changes that were made to improve support for PMODE operation, so jumped ship (mostly to Maicintosh). Now admitedly most people at that time were runing some variant of 6502 or z80 based computer still, so had no contact with Windows. And those that had PC's mostly just used DOS.

Again you are attempting to add to what I say. I only spoke of those that were Windows Users for 1.x and 2.x that I know. I did NOT say it was popular by any means.

So do not read what is not written.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater
Posts: 12974
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:10 pm

DavidS,
Again you are attempting to add to what I say. I only spoke of those that were Windows Users for 1.x and 2.x that I know. I did NOT say it was popular by any means.
Perhaps it's not the facts of what you say, or meant to say, but the way you say it.
So do not read what is not written.
OK. Let's read again what you did actually write:

"Wow, you stuck with Windows longer than any of the long time Windows users I personally know. Some of them jumped ship at Windows 3.x, a few waited until Windows 95, and only a few actually stuck it out until the anouncement of Windows 2000, and the official discontinuation of real Windows to be replaced with NT."

It starts with "Wow". Which makes it sound like you are about to tell us a surprising fact. Or that you are surprised at ScriptBasic's statement.

It goes on "...you stuck with Windows longer than any of the long time Windows users...". This makes it sound like there were lots of windows users (There obviously was not at the time) that had been using it for a long time (impossible) and that what ScriptBasic said he did was a rare and remarkable thing (Which it is not)

Now let me say the same thing with a different emphasis:

Of the vanishingly insignificant number of people that used Windows for the short time it existed before before Win 3.1 and that I happened to know, a few jumped ship at Win 3.1 or Win 95, even Win 2000

See how that changes the whole picture? Whilst maintaining the same facts. It is no longer "wow" surprising. In fact it does not tell us anything at all! Except that somebody somewhere did not like the way Windows was going, meh.

I suspect there was only one "somebody" and that was you :)

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Heater wrote: OK. Let's read again what you did actually write:
DavidS wrote: Wow, you stuck with Windows longer than any of the long time Windows users I personally know. Some of them jumped ship at Windows 3.x, a few waited until Windows 95, and only a few actually stuck it out until the anouncement of Windows 2000, and the official discontinuation of real Windows to be replaced with NT.
It starts with "Wow". Which makes it sound like you are about to tell us a surprising fact. Or that you are surprised at ScriptBasic's statement.
I was surprised at ScriptBasic's statement. Hence what I said.
It goes on "...you stuck with Windows longer than any of the long time Windows users...". This makes it sound like there were lots of windows users (There obviously was not at the time) that had been using it for a long time (impossible) and that what ScriptBasic said he did was a rare and remarkable thing (Which it is not).
For someone that saw the alternatives I do believe it rare and remarkable. It would only be common for someone that did not see the alternatives.
Now let me say the same thing with a different emphasis:

Of the vanishingly insignificant number of people that used Windows for the short time it existed before before Win 3.1 and that I happened to know, a few jumped ship at Win 3.1 or Win 95, even Win 2000
Not an accurate turn of meaning of what I said.

I never specified where the entire group of people I was speaking of started with Windows (you added that to what you read). Some of them started with early (pre-3.0) Windows versions, a lot more started with Windows 3.0 or 3.1, and a few (very few) started with Windows 4.xx.xx (Windows 95 through ME).

So if that is how you read what I wrote the meaning was lost of what I actually wrote.
See how that changes the whole picture? Whilst maintaining the same facts. It is no longer "wow" surprising. In fact it does not tell us anything at all! Except that somebody somewhere did not like the way Windows was going, meh.
It is still a wow, as it is a reflection of a huge number of people.
I suspect there was only one "somebody" and that was you :) .
I guess I should tell everyone I know that used to use Windows that you said they do not exist. Or at least those for whome I still have the contact information, and are still alive.

That statements of yours feels a lot like you are attempting to insult a lot of the people I know.
Last edited by DavidS on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

hippy
Posts: 5606
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm

DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:11 pm
If every program ran on every OS there would be no reason to use any particular OS, and commercial OS's would have no meaning at all.
You are probably right and we are there already when it comes to users / consumers.

My home-grown "What's on TV" app runs on an Android phone or tablet, Windows XP upwards, a Pi and other Linux platforms, and I expect it would work on Mac and anything else which supports a half-decent browser. And where there's a means of presenting a web page view as if a native app it looks just like a native app on all of them.

So the OS is pretty much a non-issue in that respect, only the Desktop / Home Page / App Launcher really matters to me.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm
DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:11 pm
If every program ran on every OS there would be no reason to use any particular OS, and commercial OS's would have no meaning at all.
You are probably right and we are there already when it comes to users / consumers.

My home-grown "What's on TV" app runs on an Android phone or tablet, Windows XP upwards, a Pi and other Linux platforms, and I expect it would work on Mac and anything else which supports a half-decent browser. And where there's a means of presenting a web page view as if a native app it looks just like a native app on all of them.

So the OS is pretty much a non-issue in that respect, only the Desktop / Home Page / App Launcher really matters to me.
I take it then you are not for a competitive market that improves all software as well as all OS's?

It is competition that drives many to do better.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4128
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Microsoft are still one of the most successful companies,
They are only loosing share to the two main mobile OS and Games Consoles.
Linux (negligible) and MacOS have staid pretty constant
Iirc Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android have pretty much left 32bit behind.

At least on the few graphs I looked at recently.

So easy to bash in here though, I guess


The core parts of Javascript form Edge is there for you to play with if you want, https://github.com/microsoft/chakracore
Shame they've now dropped their own browser engine and moved to chromium, BUT that make sit easier for cross platform (due to the specific OS rules each applies iirc)

Oh and as for David's list of why to make thing better to the point they probably don't work on anything else.
Tell Scratch1.4 that, it probably ticks many off that list.
It is highly optimised for the Pi, but it is dropped in favour of a cross platform computer demanding HTML5 version.
Nobody (the users) care, as long as it is usable (p.s. which Scratch3 isn't really on the Pi3 or before yet).
And not being perfect, means people can use it, rather than waiting till ever ounce of the program has been shrunk, optimised and can only run under one OS and one device.
But most people can happily use it on their computers, tablets now, with most of it working as it should.

That's just an example.

Anyway, what was the point?

hippy
Posts: 5606
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 pm

DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm
hippy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm
DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:11 pm
If every program ran on every OS there would be no reason to use any particular OS, and commercial OS's would have no meaning at all.
You are probably right and we are there already when it comes to users / consumers.

My home-grown "What's on TV" app runs on an Android phone or tablet, Windows XP upwards, a Pi and other Linux platforms, and I expect it would work on Mac and anything else which supports a half-decent browser. And where there's a means of presenting a web page view as if a native app it looks just like a native app on all of them.

So the OS is pretty much a non-issue in that respect, only the Desktop / Home Page / App Launcher really matters to me.
I take it then you are not for a competitive market that improves all software as well as all OS's?

It is competition that drives many to do better.
OS manufacturers can compete all they want. All I'm saying is the OS is pretty much an irrelevancy when my App runs on everything, under any OS.

But if doing what I am doing stifles innovation or the competitive market then what should I be doing ?

Are you suggesting I should throw away my one App which runs on anything and create individual Apps on a per platform basis ?

That seems a lot of extra effort for no real gain, for me or my users. I could limit my effort by choosing a common framework so the back end code was the same. Which is what I have done. And I'm using a common front-end as well, to save having to create any platform specific code.

I can't see how that's a bad thing or how it stifles innovation or competition. If it does then 'they' , whoever they are, will just have to suck it up, because that's how it is. I can't see any compelling reason that I should do it differently.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:29 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Microsoft are still one of the most successful companies,
They are only loosing share to the two main mobile OS and Games Consoles.
Linux (negligible) and MacOS have staid pretty constant
Iirc Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android have pretty much left 32bit behind.

At least on the few graphs I looked at recently.

So easy to bash in here though, I guess

I do not feel that anyone is bashing anyone. We are just speaking of differences.

Also you may wish to recheck your research, and in fairness I will recheck mine. The overall DESKTOP OS market share has been going more and more towards Linux from my research. Some others are gaining a little.

As it stands at the moment from what I see the numbers for windows has stagnated, while the uptake of Linux is still increasing, for Desktop systems. For that matter two days ago I looked out of personal curiousity, and it looks like RISC OS may actually be growing by a small margine this year, though yet MS is stagnet in the OS market. This is based on overall recent trends (so only since 2004).

Though as I said in fairness I feel we should both recheck our research.
The core parts of Javascript form Edge is there for you to play with if you want, https://github.com/microsoft/chakracore
Shame they've now dropped their own browser engine and moved to chromium, BUT that make sit easier for cross platform (due to the specific OS rules each applies iirc)

Oh and as for David's list of why to make thing better to the point they probably don't work on anything else.
Tell Scratch1.4 that, it probably ticks many off that list.
It is highly optimised for the Pi, but it is dropped in favour of a cross platform computer demanding HTML5 version.
Nobody (the users) care, as long as it is usable (p.s. which Scratch3 isn't really on the Pi3 or before yet).
And not being perfect, means people can use it, rather than waiting till ever ounce of the program has been shrunk, optimised and can only run under one OS and one device.
But most people can happily use it on their computers, tablets now, with most of it working as it should.

That's just an example.

Anyway, what was the point?
Nothing wrong with maintaining portability for applications. Though at the same time nothing wrong with maintaining OS targeted applicaitons, as it increases competition, and improves products. Look at how much software has stagnated in functionality since 2000, or the software that has improved has done so in lackluster ways without realy trying to show off at all.

Compitition is forgotten about, and we lose a lot of potential.

Further your example only speaks to those that use the net for everything. Many of us know that computing is a lot more than networking, and that access to the internet is not a for sure kind of thing, the net goes down in local areas all the time sometimes for months at a time.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:40 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 pm
DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm
hippy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm

You are probably right and we are there already when it comes to users / consumers.

My home-grown "What's on TV" app runs on an Android phone or tablet, Windows XP upwards, a Pi and other Linux platforms, and I expect it would work on Mac and anything else which supports a half-decent browser. And where there's a means of presenting a web page view as if a native app it looks just like a native app on all of them.

So the OS is pretty much a non-issue in that respect, only the Desktop / Home Page / App Launcher really matters to me.
I take it then you are not for a competitive market that improves all software as well as all OS's?

It is competition that drives many to do better.
OS manufacturers can compete all they want. All I'm saying is the OS is pretty much an irrelevancy when my App runs on everything, under any OS.
So I can use your example when I am without an internet connection? And without a web browser?

Does not work out so well when you think it through.
But if doing what I am doing stifles innovation or the competitive market then what should I be doing ?
Do what you want, just remember that doing things OS native improves on the competitive market.

There is nothing wrong with playing with any possibility.
Are you suggesting I should throw away my one App which runs on anything and create individual Apps on a per platform basis ?
I will never stifle anyone from doing things how they feel the want to. I am just pointing out that there is nothing wrong with a competitive market, and in fact OS competition is a good thing for the users, a thing we have largely lost in recent decades.
That seems a lot of extra effort for no real gain, for me or my users. I could limit my effort by choosing a common framework so the back end code was the same. Which is what I have done. And I'm using a common front-end as well, to save having to create any platform specific code.

I can't see how that's a bad thing or how it stifles innovation or competition. If it does then 'they' , whoever they are, will just have to suck it up, because that's how it is. I can't see any compelling reason that I should do it differently.
As I have repeated many times. I am not apposed to anyone doing what they are doing how they want to do it.

I am just trying to promote the other side of things, that is the side of software that does target specific OS's and thus promotes competition among bothe the OS's as well as the type of software. The kind of software that increases the quality, performance, stability, and functionality of Operating Systems, while at the same time improving the quality, performance, stabilty, and feature set of the software.

I am not saying anything about changing what is here, or how a specific program should be coded. I am only attempting to promote the creation of appropriate software that does give that level of competition.

Some software should be OS independant, and that is the kind of software that is outside of what I speak of.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater
Posts: 12974
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:26 pm

DavidS,
If every program ran on every OS there would be no reason to use any particular OS, and commercial OS's would have no meaning at all
Sound like an ideal outcome to me!

It's Time for a car analogy:

Application programs are like cars, buses, trucks etc.

Roads are like operating systems.

Any application should be able to run on any operating system the same way any car can run on any road.

It would be absurd if I could not use a BMW road because I had a Toyota.

More absurd that I could not drive into BMW towns or states because they had BMW roads and my Toyota can't use them.

Of course roads vary, we have single lane track dirt tracks, two lane roads, 6, 8, etc lane highways.

Similarly operating systems could vary in the performance, capacity and other characteristics even if they run all the same applications.

Having a common interface between applications and operating systems would make computing and programming a lot more efficient. It would remove a lot of that "bloat" you often talk about. All those app-OS adapters, Qt, GTK, etc, etc and all the work to use and maintain them.

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4128
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Looking at this https://www.statista.com/statistics/218089
I can't see this course as I'm not a premium member.
You can see Windows has a healthy lead still, by quite a margin.
Linux is about the same and so is OSX.
ChromeOS has eaten a small notch.
This 'other' is the main the big gain recently. But its very up and down....

There was another site I cannot find that had a really good split view.
Maybe that will show the 64 bit uptake.

Linux increase, maybe similar to the Pi increase?
It's certainly brought it into homes, schools and clubs in the UK.

Though I have a feeling most of these will be reported via online means.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:26 pm
DavidS,
If every program ran on every OS there would be no reason to use any particular OS, and commercial OS's would have no meaning at all
Sound like an ideal outcome to me!
Only because I omitted "and open source OS's will just do enough never truly getting better, not like they could".
It's Time for a car analogy:

Application programs are like cars, buses, trucks etc.

Roads are like operating systems.

Any application should be able to run on any operating system the same way any car can run on any road.

It would be absurd if I could not use a BMW road because I had a Toyota.

More absurd that I could not drive into BMW towns or states because they had BMW roads and my Toyota can't use them.

Of course roads vary, we have single lane track dirt tracks, two lane roads, 6, 8, etc lane highways.

Similarly operating systems could vary in the performance, capacity and other characteristics even if they run all the same applications.

Having a common interface between applications and operating systems would make computing and programming a lot more efficient. It would remove a lot of that "bloat" you often talk about. All those app-OS adapters, Qt, GTK, etc, etc and all the work to use and maintain them.
Extremely poor analogy, does not even come close enough to fitting to present a reasonable counter point, other than you are comparing cold bedrock to free hydrogen gas.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

ejolson
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:51 pm

DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 pm
Heater wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:26 pm
It would be absurd if I could not use a BMW road because I had a Toyota.

More absurd that I could not drive into BMW towns or states because they had BMW roads and my Toyota can't use them.
Extremely poor analogy, does not even come close enough to fitting to present a reasonable counter point, other than you are comparing cold bedrock to free hydrogen gas.
I wonder how absurd it would be to drive a Tata Sumo on the autobahn. Note, if anyone wants a job it looks like Tata Motors may need at least 32-bits of help with their website.

Heater
Posts: 12974
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Less absurd than my dad's old Austin Maxi.

What is wrong with the Tata Sumo? Looks like just what I need.

What is wrong with their web site? We have all seen much worse.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: RIP 32 BIT

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 am

@Heater:
I am getting close to the optimial solution that I wish to present of the FFTBENCH program, done in C and ARM Assembly. I am attempting to get it optimal enough to give better results on a RPi 1B than you get for the compiled AARCH64 version on the RPi 3B+, give a good show of the difference as it were :) .

Now I will admit that I may not make that goal, though I definitely will have something that will blow your AARCH64 compiled C version way out of the water.

I wrote a replacement for your time function, as it is not in the standard lib on RISC OS, which is OK as calling OS_Hardware with reason code 21, and subtracting the second call from the first, is easy enough (OS_Hardware, 21 is HAL_CounterRead which is a down counting microsecond counter). Do not worry I am using conditional compilation so that it will still compile in Linux without any trouble.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “Off topic discussion”