RET80

Eltechs and Exagear

Thu May 02, 2019 7:15 pm

So I know they're dead and gone. Their servers are still up and running though for keeping activation alive, but what happened to these guys?
They just got up and ran quite suddenly. I remember when they announced they were stopping, just two weeks later that was the end. I'm wondering if they ran into financial or legal issues to just suddenly stop entirely.

What are your thoughts about it?

Also now that these folks are gone, is there any active development for something like Exagear? Something opensource hopefully?
I found Exagear to be very handy for some of the tools I needed to use on a Pi.

Anyway - open for discussion!
"Just because you invested your valuable time in compensating for a software designer’s madness, does not mean the software is good. It means you don’t value your own time as much as you should. "

hippy

Re: Eltechs and Exagear

Thu May 02, 2019 7:19 pm

RET80 wrote:
That it's none of our business :P
RET80 wrote:
Also now that these folks are gone, is there any active development for something like Exagear? Something opensource hopefully?
I believe Pi386 may be something which strives to deliver what as Exagear did, but don't quote me on that !

viewtopic.php?t=226376

RET80

Thu May 02, 2019 7:27 pm

hippy wrote:
RET80 wrote:
RET80 wrote:
I believe Pi386 may be something which strives to deliver what as Exagear did, but don't quote me on that !

viewtopic.php?t=226376

Thanks for the link! I'll take a look at it. I'm looking for something that has OpenGL acceleration like how exagear did it. Some of the applications I run require it to some degree. Heck any replacement would due.

As for my thoughts about it, just a general discussion, nobody really has to answer if they dont want to :)
"Just because you invested your valuable time in compensating for a software designer’s madness, does not mean the software is good. It means you don’t value your own time as much as you should. "

Heater

Thu May 02, 2019 7:43 pm

At a guess... It was a commercial venture. They had few customers and did not make enough money to make it worth continuing.

RET80

Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:43 pm
At a guess... It was a commercial venture. They had few customers and did not make enough money to make it worth continuing.
My thoughts too. Raspberry pi in general is fairly niche, plus x86 emulation is even more-so. Probably just couldn't make enough to keep the doors open. It just surprised me that they just did it so suddenly and were completely hands off about it.

I really wish they would have released their source code to the public if they were just going to leave, but that's just me. I understand they probably put a ton of work into it and probably don't want to just release it for that reason. idk. Just guesses.

code_exec

Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 pm

hippy wrote:
RET80 wrote:
RET80 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=226376
Some of my projects are starting to get attention recently. I may as well recontinue Pi386 as well.

I plan on releasing an updated version at some point that uses images mounted as loopback devices instead of just folders containing filesystems. The user will run an initial setup script which will ask them what distro they want to use, what version of that distro, and how large they want the image to be. It will then create the image, set up a loopback device using it, create an ext4 partition on it, mount it at /opt/pi386/containers/[distro release], and debootstrap the distro into that mount point. The user can then run a script which automatically unmounts the partition from the mount point and detach the loopback device. As for the custom kernel allowing applications which use a 3G/1G memory split to run (such as WINE), I plan on updating that more frequently when I revive this project.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

RET80

Thu May 02, 2019 7:59 pm

code_exec wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 pm
hippy wrote:
RET80 wrote:
RET80 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=226376
Some of my projects are starting to get attention recently. I may as well recontinue Pi386 as well.

I plan on releasing an updated version at some point that uses images mounted as loopback devices instead of just folders containing filesystems. The user will run an initial setup script which will ask them what distro they want to use, what version of that distro, and how large they want the image to be. It will then create the image, set up a loopback device using it, create an ext4 partition on it, mount it at /opt/pi386/containers/[distro release], and debootstrap the distro into that mount point. The user can then run a script which automatically unmounts the partition from the mount point and detach the loopback device. As for the custom kernel allowing applications which use a 3G/1G memory split to run (such as WINE), I plan on updating that more frequently when I revive this project.
Yes! I saw your post regarding Pi386. I really hope you do continue it, it really is a great project you're working on!
Especially now that Eltech and Exagear are gone, you could totally fill that void and there is an expressed need for such a thing to exist.
I'm totally behind you 100% if you do choose to continue!

Thanks code_exec.

Return to “Off topic discussion”