blueagent

need to perform minor edit of my username

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 pm

hello! sorry to ask but would any of the admins be so kind as to remove the 3 digits in my username so that my name is only "blueagent" which will match the new email address i have paired with this forum account here? this is done for security reason since someone tried to hack my gmail a month ago via my old username so i feel like this is necessary to protect myself.

thank you so very much for your help!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: need to perform minor edit of my username

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:02 pm

Sorry, not sure we as moderators can do that. Will flag it up to the admins though, to see if they can.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

blueagent

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:08 pm

thanks! if they need to verify my identity via the old gmail that was attached to this forum account then i would be more than happy to oblige. let me know anytime ;)

rpdom

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 pm

It might be easier to just start a new account with the new name and email address. If you're worried about someone logging on with the old one and pretending to be you, the mods could ban that account from further access.

Imperf3kt

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 am

rpdom wrote:
It might be easier to just start a new account with the new name and email address. If you're worried about someone logging on with the old one and pretending to be you, the mods could ban that account from further access.
Or they could delete it?
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

blueagent

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:45 am

rpdom wrote:
i didn't think that creating multiple accounts on the same forum would be allowed, so that why i didn't try that.

if the 3 digits in my username can't be removed, would it be possible for me to delete this account and register a new one? (i can't find such option in account settings)

W. H. Heydt

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 am

blueagent004 wrote:
rpdom wrote:
i didn't think that creating multiple accounts on the same forum would be allowed, so that why i didn't try that.

if the 3 digits in my username can't be removed, would it be possible for me to delete this account and register a new one? (i can't find such option in account settings)
The problem with deleting accounts is that all posts made under it link back to the user page. If the posts aren't deleted, then there is a database integrity issue. If the posts are deleted, then any other posts related to them can cause problems. The best solution sprobably to ask the mods to inactivate your current account and then create a new one.

(The issue of deleting accounts has come up before. There don't appear to be any good solutions at this time.)

rpdom

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 am

blueagent004 wrote:
It is the advice that has been given by mods in the past in response to requests for account name changes.

hippy

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:58 pm

It would probably be worth waiting for what the forum admins have to say before worrying about what else could be done.

I can't imagine there isn't some means to change the username with phpBB; there has been with all forum software I have administered and it's usually pretty easy to do. Users are usually 'just a number' with a username attached which can just as easily be changed as their email address and other profile information.

It is not uncommon for people to actually change their names and therefore reasonable to allow on-line identifies to change likewise. Some forum software even provides for "formerly known as" tags to help identify users who have changed their names while their new on-line identifies become established.

Some consider on-line usernames to be personal data covered by GDPR while others say otherwise. I don't know; I have always allowed username changes 'no questions asked' on boards I admin so it's never been a problem unless they want a name already taken.

jamesh

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am

We are currently looking in to this.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “Off topic discussion”