chwe

Re: A step forward: LTE

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 am

Jackr wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:51 pm
chwe wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:48 pm
what's the goal. having Kali Linux with an SBC...
I don't know if it uses a linux kernel with a couple of unofficial drivers or many unofficial drivers or a android kernel ?!
The case 1 is ok, the case 2 i dont know, the case 3 NO!
Then there is another problem, that soc (MT6797X) is a bit old and power hungry...
having two big cores (A72) and 8 small cores (A53 at 4x 2GHz 4x 1.6GHz) and you call that old? :P the newest RPi iteration has 4 A53 cores at 1.4 GHz throtteling quite fast down.. there aren't as many SoCs used in SBCs with A72 cores in the wild (except the dev boards starting ant something like 200$).. I've no idea about this specific SoC but some background in the ones they sent upstream (e.g. Mt7623). Their BSP kernels are often painful, their overall upstream work is good. Stuff gets merged and works surprisingly good... Edit: from a short look at google.. seems that they send this one upstream too, and it's from the same guys sending mt7623 upstream.. So I would assume it's not as bad kernel wise.
But the question still stands.. why go for an cellular SoC and not for a mPCI/USB cellular modem on a board which has good kernel-support. There are power-efficient boards (obviously not with a 10 core setup :lol: ) with good mainline support and the interfaces you need.. If you go for such an board check if the SoC (and the board itself) is covered by a distribution so that you get updates.. Otherwise you've to do all this stuff on your own (e.g. throw out an RPi3 64-bit Debian/Ubuntu would probably take me half a day, maintaining it over time to keep it working and on a acceptable security level on the other side would definitively be an overkill). If no distribution covers your SBC it's worthless to buy such a board cause you spend hours and hours in dealing with stuff you probably don't want (compiling kernels isn't as fun as you think it is.. :lol: ).

Jackr

Re: A step forward: LTE

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:48 pm

Before answer you chwe, I've got bad news for me :( The simcom chips uses (parts of?) android !!! :( :( :(

Thanks for the info chwe!
chwe wrote:why go for an cellular SoC and not for a mPCI/USB cellular modem
As I sayd there is a problem of cost, size, efficency, and with today news, also privacy! Considering that simcom is chinese, with android it's a double threat to the privacy.

I'll keep an eye on these mediatek socs.

EDIT:
For sure the Mediatek MT8173 is supported but... :o no modem

Return to “Off topic discussion”