sayhello

What are main differences between Git, GitHub and Bitbucket resp Gitkraken? And also Git and Mercurial

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm

dear experts,

pretty new to Git and Github and bitbucket:

The question is What are main differences between Git, GitHub and Bitbucket resp Gitkraken? And also Git and Mercurial. Git and mercurial(hg) - both are the actual tools for version controll. In fact both them can be called "Distributed Version control system-tolls",

generally spoken:

- while Github and Bitbucket are 'services' for hosting of repositories.
- Github provides git repositories hosting while Bitbucket offers both git and hg repositories hosting.
- Git and hg seem to be a bit different - regarding the way they work internally.

first of all: - afaik i can use Bitbucket with GIT - is this true?

So, these are some of the major differences. There are prolly several other minor differences that one might realize once you use both of them. The question is: Which Git GUI should I use with GitHub, Bitbucket or GitLab?
A friend of me told me that i should run (use) GitKraken.

Gitkraken is told to be a commercial project that only wants to make mone. is this true!?

but technically spoken gitkraken has some interesting features.

GitKraken connects to all 3 to clone/add repos, create/view PRs & more. Free for Windows and Linux!

So the question is: should loook at gitkranken or stay with GIT, Github and Bitucekt

and leave gitkraken as a tiny commeercial project that is not worth looking at

rpdom

Re: What are main differences between Git, GitHub and Bitbucket resp Gitkraken? And also Git and Mercurial

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:18 pm

I don't know all the answers to your questions.
sayhello wrote:
This one I do know. The answer is Yes.

fruitoftheloom

Re: What are main differences between Git, GitHub and Bitbucket resp Gitkraken? And also Git and Mercurial

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:20 pm

sayhello wrote:
dear experts,

pretty new to Git and Github and bitbucket:

The question is What are main differences between Git, GitHub and Bitbucket resp Gitkraken? And also Git and Mercurial. Git and mercurial(hg) - both are the actual tools for version controll. In fact both them can be called "Distributed Version control system-tolls",

generally spoken:

- while Github and Bitbucket are 'services' for hosting of repositories.
- Github provides git repositories hosting while Bitbucket offers both git and hg repositories hosting.
- Git and hg seem to be a bit different - regarding the way they work internally.

So, these are some of the major differences. There are prolly several other minor differences that one might realize once you use both of them. The question is: Which Git GUI should I use with GitHub, Bitbucket or GitLab?
A friend of me told me that i should run (use) GitKraken.

Gitkraken is told to be a commercial project that only wants to make mone. is this true!?

but technically spoken gitkraken has some interesting features.

GitKraken connects to all 3 to clone/add repos, create/view PRs & more. Free for Windows and Linux!

So the question is: should loook at gitkranken or stay with GIT, Github and Bitucekt

and leave gitkraken as a tiny commeercial project that is not worth looking at

Is this related to your other post ??

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=229075&p=1404685#p1404685
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Heater

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Didn't we already have this discussion?

Git is a source code management system.

Mercurial is a source code management system.

Neither of them need anything else to be useful.

Github and Bitbucket are cloud services that will host git and/or mercurial. If you need that.

Take your pick. I like git and I like github for it's issue management system.

Price may be a determining factor.

Despite using git, mercurial and others for many years I had never heard of gitkraken. Seems to be some closed source only git client. As such is of no interest at all.

Return to “Off topic discussion”