W. H. Heydt

Putting the Pi in perspective...looking forward

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:43 pm

In this article: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/2 ... ton_specs/ about a Amazon develop ARM-based SoC, the author compares it to a Pi3B+. He says that the Amazon SoC is twice as fast as the Pi.

Wait a minute... A specially developed *server* SoC is *only* twice as fast as a Pi3B+?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Putting the Pi in perspective...looking forward

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Odd, I would have expected it to be much faster than 2x. 4x at least. And the website performance comparisons quoted are rubbish.
Its more to do with IO andmemory performance in that case, pure CPU grunt isn't enough.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt

Re: Putting the Pi in perspective...looking forward

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:08 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 pm
Odd, I would have expected it to be much faster than 2x. 4x at least. And the website performance comparisons quoted are rubbish.
Its more to do with IO and memory performance in that case, pure CPU grunt isn't enough.
According to the comments, the test used is single threaded, which makes a bit more sense for the Pi to come that close. But I still think it'd be embarrassing for the server SOC designers to see the Pi come that close.

Return to “Off topic discussion”