Lil-pi. Cute name.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Kokoro

Re: Pi Character

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:19 am

Prometheus said:

If it's of any help, there should be an option somewhere in your Photobucket account settings that will allow you to change the size limit from resolution, to file-size, instead. I set that on my own years ago, and haven't looked back. 

thanks, I found it, theres a photo storage size option page that allows up to 2048x1536.

I would rather host the picture on my own website but the problems it may cause are using too much of my hosting bandwidth and the fact that I have all sorts of bot protection stuff and modified htaccess files here and there that sometimes people have not been able to see or access something.

this link should work, and downloads should be counted...
Little Pi 1920x1080

Moor

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:25 am

*Squee!*

Me does love.

I also don't think we need to worry about the mascot needing to appeal to a general audience. The Raspberry Pi has a logo already -- that by itself will represent the RasPi to the vast majority of people. I mean, most people think of Wikipedia's logo, and haven't heard of Wikipe-tan. I think Princess Raspberry "li'l' " Pi will likely be the same, only a bit more known.

And I don't think it'll draw people off. I mean, yes, we should make an effort not to make it "too girly" or "too boy-y", at risk of turning off some of the less mature kids, lest they get cooties. I just don't think that merely giving to mascot a gender will be enough to do that.

Yes, only half of the target audience will be male, or female.

On the other hand, I think very few of them indeed will be non-gendered.

Also, I look forward muchly to seeing her brother!

riffraff

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 am

I'm impressed she"s adorable. She's a Princess and should have a Knight to do her bidding. I was thinking along the line of Gimli, a "Sir Raspberry of Pi". His armored breastplate is beaten into the shape of the logo, he carries a sword with a crossguard in the shape of an inverted Pi and bears somewhere in his ecoutrement a Cambridge coat of arms. His duty is to rally the troops to complete missions as assigned by the princess.

In an interactive lesson plan; general instruction, overviews, assignments and evaluation and praise are provided by the Princess. During execution of the lesson, help, correction and required remedial instruction are provided by Sir Raspberry.

I think a pair of characters operating in tandem clearly delineates areas of a lesson and provides a a little more drama than an individual mascot, not to say you couldn't use a puppy with a raspberry sweater to fetch (search) or drop in with an occasional "hint" scroll in his mouth. Certainly, any of this would be far better than an anthropomorphic paperclip.

Steady_Bear

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Kokoro said:

I am a little embrassed.  I dont know if I should post this or not... Shall I carry on with the idea or just scrap the lot??

If I find the confidence to carry on... to pi.

Silly person, you should have confidence; that's some good work there and some very good ideas. Always post!

I'd have to disagree with the need for gender neutrality or even the need for you to produce a mascot. Stick with _YOUR_ ideas and produce what you feel comfortable with. Design by committee loses all soul*.

I do like the idea of a comic book / story side of things. My 2 pennies on the issue: a school kid that isn't too popular (not bullied, too cliched), just doesn't have many friends. Introduction of new characters through common interest of Pi. Oops! I've just gone a tad cliched myself haven't I?

With the natural introduction of characters people will end up choosing who they like best, and having some means of relating to a character that isn't just plain generic. If a mascot comes from this, so be it. But don't spend time chasing one - that's for the world of advertising.

I'm not a fan of the leaves being central on her head*. I'd prefer it on one side as I'm not a fan of too much symmetry (flowers and bows in hair seems to be gaining popularity in reality too!).

Perhaps the toy she's playing with could become the 'mascot'? But hey, let's just let it happen naturally. And, as has been pointed out by someone else - there is already a mascot, maybe you could add some eyes, arms and legs to a raspberry for her to 'play with'.

* Not a word people!

Gert van Loo

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:07 pm

My 2 pennies on the issue: a school kid that isn't too popular (not bullied, too cliched), just doesn't have many friends. Introduction of new characters through common interest of Pi. Oops! I've just gone a tad cliched myself haven't I?

I was more thinking along the lines of Roald Dahl's Mathilda: Eager, intelligent, but stopped by the school & parents.

Steady_Bear

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Gert said:

I was more thinking along the lines of Roald Dahl's Mathilda: Eager, intelligent, but stopped by the school & parents.

Bitter?

I love Roald Dahl's work. Amazingly dark, yet simple.

Gert van Loo

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Not at all. In fact my parents supported my in every way. (Let's ignore the school...) but it comes closer to what Eben has been advocating: Youngsters are not allowed to really play with the computers from neither their parents nor the school. The Raspberry-Pi is the solution to that.

Steady_Bear

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Gert said:

Not at all. In fact my parents supported my in every way. (Let's ignore the school...) but it comes closer to what Eben has been advocating: Youngsters are not allowed to really play with the computers from neither their parents nor the school. The Raspberry-Pi is the solution to that.

Can't blame the schools or parents really. If the kids learn they can self teach we'll all be in a whole lot of trouble...

I was lucky enough to have parents that encouraged tinkering, and some exceptionally patient/tolerant/soft teachers.

abishur

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:40 pm

To be fair, we're not necessarily talking about perfectly reflecting real life.  In order for a story to be good there needs to be conflict.  So you exaggerate that conflict, you keep two people at odds simply because they don't communicate with each other to realize they're two peas in a pod.  So if you have the character at odds with parents and the school system it strikes a cord with the readers.  Sure maybe they never had their phone confiscated or got in trouble for touching the family PC, but they could have experienced lesser similar situations that creates a sense of identification with the protagonist.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

russ wall

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:41 pm

…. If the kids learn they can self teach we'll all be in a whole lot of trouble…

Well, have a look at

The pi will enable every kid to put us all "in a whole lot of trouble"

scep

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Steady_Bear said:

Can't blame the schools or parents really. If the kids learn they can self teach we'll all be in a whole lot of trouble…

And if apes learn to talk it'll be like the goddamn Planet of the Apes round here!  [sorry, but the thought of kids "self-teaching" just made me laugh. That's right - I'm a teacher ]

Most 'educational experts' have never been at the chalkface. Ever. This concerns me. It's all well and good for Sir Ken Robinson, Sugat Mitra and all the other TED-ites spewing out erudite soundbites based on oxymoronic "educational research". Actually doing stuff is a teeny weeny bit harder. We call it teaching .

I challenge Mitra to try his "Method of the Grandmother (TM)" in a mixed ability class of 30 when the five SEN kids are going mental because they don't get it and a six-foot, fifteen year old has just told you that you are a c*** and thrown the keyboard across the room. Yeah – get a Hole in the Wall to teach that lesson

(And to pre-empt the flames, of course kids can "self-teach". But not by themselves )

russ wall

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Apologies, scep.

I wasn't in any way supporting getting rid of the teachers and letting the kids "just get on with it" but I did see that kids who didn't have that support were still able to use technology to develop "IT skills"

I hope to provide Pi's, as an affordable option, into kids libraries in the Philippines that we support from here in the UK. In this ermmm .... third world situation, which I would hope would not be an uncommon one for the Pi in the future, to be honest the kids will have to self teach to a greater degree. I would hope that there will be a strong "online support structure" to support the kids as the teaching support will be fairly limited. For these types of ventures there really is no alternative. Any graphic input, either kokoro's Lil-pi or the Prof Pi "help" icon on one of the other posts is a great start in the crucial provision of educational support for kids across the whole globe.

Once again, I do apologise for raising your blood pressure, scep.

scep

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Hey Russ – sorry, didn't mean for it to come over like that (I like a lot of the TED stuff!). I was just doing the usual teacher rant thing in order to offend everyone. I apologise

Of course contrary to what I said, a lot of kids in the 80s did self teach when they got a micro that plugged into their telly – so we can only hope

The project in the Philippines sounds fantastic – good luck with it.

Steady_Bear

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:32 pm

scep, I feel for you (I do a bit of small class teaching of teenagers in the evenings, after a full day at school for them it doesn't always go down well)!

Kids can self teach. Although in a sample of X, that should probably be 'kid can self teach'. But, a good teacher really is worth their weight in gold.

scep

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:43 pm

I feel bad now. Anyone who has ever taught - I salute you!

[and they might be 15 years old and 6 foot tall but I am older, taller, wider, wiser and badder. I don't get much trouble myself ]

russ wall

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 am

scep said:

I feel bad now. Anyone who has ever taught – I salute you!

[and they might be 15 years old and 6 foot tall but I am older, taller, wider, wiser and badder. I don't get much trouble myself ]

Don't feel bad, old chum! And as for the 6 foot tall 15 year old  …. I believe this thread is looking for exactly that as Lil-pi's "idiot brother figure! Ah, I can see the comic strip before my very eyes!

Steady_Bear

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:55 pm

scep said:

I feel bad now...

Did you want to talk?

I was picked up and moved out the way once by a 6 ft something teenager. Thankfully it was done (and taken) in good humour.

psergiu

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:42 pm

russ wall said:

Ah, I can see the comic strip before my very eyes!

If you're thinkng comics, don't forget about Proffesor Pi:

pvgb

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:44 pm

scep said:

Steady_Bear said:

Most 'educational experts' have never been at the chalkface. Ever.

Economists assume a balanced economy.

The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal is so mind-bogglingly stupid that it assumes that if someone cannot see it, then it cannot see the person.

Educational Experts assume that all learners are willing and able to learn.

Steady_Bear

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:33 pm

pvgb said:

scep said:

Steady_Bear said:

Most 'educational experts' have never been at the chalkface. Ever.

...Educational Experts assume that all learners are willing and able to learn.

Filthy Lie! I never said such a thing

Could the above start with 'The Government' instead of ed.ex. ?

Later in this comment there is some appalling use of punctuation, look away now if you're easily offended.

And now for something completely different - the original topic!

So, lil' Pi Kokoro is sitting in a crowded class, surrounded by teenage brick outhouses. lil'P'K' is the only one trying and wanting to learn something.

The SEN kids are stereotypically disrupting the class. The 6'5" giant has me the uncool geek against the wall in the corner; blood slowly oozing.

The teacher is having a slow breakdown at the front of the class realising that a zoo keeper has an easier time - especially with making sense of the syllabus.

lil'P'K' thinks 'If only I could self teach...'

RASPBERRY PI to the rescue!!!

abishur

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Anyways, since this isn't a thread on education (and the possible fault therein) but on a cute Pi Character.....
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Prometheus

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Steady_Bear said:

And now for something completely different – the original topic!
So, lil' Pi Kokoro is sitting in a crowded class, surrounded by teenage brick outhouses. lil'P'K' is the only one trying and wanting to learn something.

The SEN kids are stereotypically disrupting the class. The 6'5" giant has me the uncool geek against the wall in the corner; blood slowly oozing.

The teacher is having a slow breakdown at the front of the class realising that a zoo keeper has an easier time – especially with making sense of the syllabus.

lil'P'K' thinks 'If only I could self teach…'

RASPBERRY PI to the rescue!!!

I know that this is a bit exaggerated and such (EDIT: To clarify, I mean it's exaggerated in terms of a comic featuring the character that would be suited to the RPi's target audience!), but that really is a matter that I would imagine a great many kids can relate to, at least. It was certainly so when I was a youngster!

Steady_Bear

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:34 pm

A bit exaggerated?

Kokoro, if you haven't been scared away altogether, forgot to mention earlier but I really like the pencil sketches. Not sure if you plan stories etc with sketches first, or just use it for character creation, but if you do it'll be good to see the originals along with the finished work.

Kokoro

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:43 am

Steady_Bear said:

A bit exaggerated?

Kokoro, if you haven't been scared away altogether, forgot to mention earlier but I really like the pencil sketches. Not sure if you plan stories etc with sketches first, or just use it for character creation, but if you do it'll be good to see the originals along with the finished work.

thanks steady_bear.

I agree with the leaves thing. They would look much better to the side. I did do a second pi character who isnt in the earlier pictures. She had straighter hair and I drew a hairclip shape, then thought that the hair clip looked like the coloured lines on a spectrum, so I drew a dress based on the air vents at the back of a spectrum....

I have also just put this together:

Sorry if its only PHP, it is what I have most experience in using.

Return to “Off topic discussion”