ab1jx

Linux advocacy department...

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 pm

I stumbled across this: http://fossforce.com/2014/09/redefining ... rce-ideas/

I can't imagine paying money for an operating system that gets viruses. IMHO Linux keeps getting better while Windows gets worse.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Linux advocacy department...

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:36 am

Let's keep the OS bashing to a minimum.

Interesting article though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 am

ab1jx wrote: IMHO Linux keeps getting better while Windows gets worse.
You've clearly failed to explore Windows 10. I'm running Home Insider Preview (which will be generally released in the autumn) and that's probably the best version of Windows ever. It's too easy to bash Microsoft when you're not bashing Apple, Google or Amazon or eBay.

It's not productive bashing things, you should pick the right operating system at the right price for the problem you're trying to solve. That may be Windows, OSX, Linux, z/OS or z/VM.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Milliways

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:13 am

Interesting article, And in the context I am sure most people would barely notice.

One thing I find difficult to believe is that people would easily adapt to LibreOffice.

I have used and continue to use a mix of OS for the last 25 years but continue to struggle with using the multitude of documents I get in LibreOffice.

buja

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:52 am

I found the article interesting too.
It amazes me that a multi-seat set-up is a sort of a special case, even in Linux which is supposed to be a multi-user OS. But that has probably more to do with the hardware side of things than with the basic OS?

That people hardly notice that they are working on Linux instead of Windows is really a compliment to everyone working on the Linux desktop experience, apparently they have done a good job.

I try to use Linux as much as possible, but the reality is that the world is still mostly Windows oriented, so I have a laptop with Windows 10 too.
Windows itself runs okay, but Linux fits me better in general.

@Milliways: I don't understand your "multitude of documents" in LibreOffice, could you explain what you mean?
Last edited by buja on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milliways

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm

buja wrote: @Milliways: I don't understand your "multitude of documents" in LibreOffice, could you explain what you mean?
I edit a newsletter and get sent documents in multitudinous formats (despite the fact I request plain text). LibreOffice generally does a reasonable job of importing Word, fair to moderate importing Excel, so-so with Pages, but NONE of these bear more a passing reference to the originals. (I might add that my slightly ageing copy of Office 2008, doesn't do a good job either.)

I would also defy anyone who normally uses Word, no matter how poorly, to format a document in LibreOffice.

ab1jx

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:43 pm

There's still a very significant population who don't own any computer. https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-o ... ow-to-code I think we've seen 20 years or so of brain washing where Microsoft and Apple have been getting computers into schools. It's good that the Pi came along as an alternative. I've used all 3 but I'd prefer to not use Apples, at least the older ones. The only good and unique thing I remember is Aldus Superpaint which could turn bitmap art into vector.

I've never been able to make much sense of Word so LibreOffice isn't much worse. I used to be a big WordPerfect fan because of the reveal codes. Sometimes I write in HTML because it gives me better control of the formatting. The text import wizard that Access has is unique. But PostgreSQL, MySQL and SqLite are more useful databases. Having an ODBC connection from one to another is useful for converting between them.

buja

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Milliways wrote:
buja wrote: @Milliways: I don't understand your "multitude of documents" in LibreOffice, could you explain what you mean?
I edit a newsletter and get sent documents in multitudinous formats (despite the fact I request plain text). LibreOffice generally does a reasonable job of importing Word, fair to moderate importing Excel, so-so with Pages, but NONE of these bear more a passing reference to the originals. (I might add that my slightly ageing copy of Office 2008, doesn't do a good job either.)

I would also defy anyone who normally uses Word, no matter how poorly, to format a document in LibreOffice.
OK, I understand. But that has more to do with a specific application, or rather the conversion of file formats between a number of applications, than with the operating system. Using LibreOffice under Linux or Windows will not be different.

And for the record, I often find LibreOffice easier to understand than Word. As with Windows, Word tends to hide things.

r3d4

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 pm

A scholar is just a library's way of making another library.
:arrow: something completely different : "Fireside Chat" with the inovator of Linux advocacy ( youtube.com/watch?v=fuAebQvFnRI )

.. i couldnt find 'bashing' @ wiki/Varieties_of_criticism :?
DougieLawson wrote:
It's not productive bashing things,
It used to be the only way to "fix" an old TV ...

Burngate

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:31 pm

r3d4 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
It's not productive bashing things,
It used to be the only way to "fix" an old TV ...
Surprisingly, it quite often worked, particularly with valve EHT circuits.
Hit the right bit of the cabinet, and the cathodes of the PL509 etc. would lose some crud off their surface. If there was still some oxide left, the picture would come good for long enough for me to escape from the customer's home.

Burngate

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:56 pm

ab1jx wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:43 pm
I think we've seen 20 years or so of brain washing where Microsoft and Apple have been getting computers into schools. It's good that the Pi came along as an alternative.
The school my daughter went to from age 5 to 11 (so '93 to '09) was thinking of getting into computing.
One of the other parents volunteered to provide some computers for free - remarkably nice of him, given that he wasn't a golf pro or footballer.

What wasn't made very public (though it wasn't kept darkly secret) was that he worked for Microsoft, and the company provided the equipment for free.
Whether you think that was an underhand brain-washing way of dealing or just good commercial practice, it worked. Across the world, catching them young gave them a ready market.

Some time in the '90s Panasonic decided to go head-to-head with Sony over professional video cassette tape. They already had the VHS market sown up, Sony Betamax having died, so they brought out a professional version.
Sony went round offering Betacam machines as drop-in replacements for the Panasonic machines at no cost.
The result was Sony cornered the market, Panasonic left it to them, and Sony survived.
Whether you think that was an underhand brain-washing way of dealing or just good commercial practice, it worked.

r3d4

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Burngate wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:56 pm
it worked.
Oh it did... i learned how (U+1F4A9); the (U+1F4BE); software is and :lol: how it doesn't work,
then started to underoverstand more about licensing { also (U+1F4A9); } and the alternatives
wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

c'est la vie

over fishing is "good commercial practice" while it lasts
stupidity != sustainable
afaik

Heater

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:47 pm

I presume you meant 💩 and 💾

Edit: As if to prove your point that Unicode does not work with this forum software.

Further: Given that it does not work I would delete this post. But despite having a delete option it does not work.

PeterO

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 pm

The temperature here today was 19°C Hmmmm UTF-8 seems ok here. Can you use that ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Heater

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:22 pm

UTF-8 is a brilliant form of encoding. Unicode is ridiculous.

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:22 pm
UTF-8 is a brilliant form of encoding. Unicode is ridiculous.
Everything is better than IBM's EBCDIC and ASCII code pages (037, 437, 500, 1146, 285, 1200, 1252). The only thing I gained from that crap was lots of time working on obscure DB2 problems with code pages (which was a fractal of bad design). When they added Unicode it was time to put a small flag out.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:21 pm

ab1jx wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 pm
I can't imagine paying money for an operating system that gets viruses.
*All* operating systems are subject to viruses. If you think one isn't, you haven't waited long enough.
Last edited by W. H. Heydt on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
ab1jx wrote: IMHO Linux keeps getting better while Windows gets worse.
You've clearly failed to explore Windows 10.
You're right....and I'm going to *keep* not exploring it for as long as I can. I may die of old age before I have to explore Win10.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 pm

Milliways wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm
You haven't met my wife. Now I will grant you that her formatting needs are pretty simple (manuscript format) and her transition to LibreOffice was from Word for Windows 2.0. On the other hand, she wrote an entire novel (and sold it) that was written in vi and formatted with ms macros, with the manuscript output generated by nroff.

Return to “Off topic discussion”