gtechn

RISC-V Arduino is here.

Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Remember when I brought up the possibility of RISC-V?

Arduino has a board now. The Arduino Cinque. Done in partnership with SiFive.
https://www.sifive.com/posts/2017/05/19 ... -bay-area/
http://hackaday.com/2017/05/20/arduino- ... th-arduino

Looks a lot like the SiFive HiFive1, except it is an Arduino.

RISC-V is still a long way from a possible Raspberry Pi: RISC-V Edition, but it has gone a long way over the last year. Obviously, there is no GPU yet, but USB 3 and Gigabit Ethernet are now available on one of their chips. The lowRISC project (who is also developing silicon) wants to develop a GPU in the future, and the processor cores themselves are slated for release this year.

I am not trying to bring up the "RISC-V one day?" thread again. Just bringing the news that Arduino is on board.

DavidS

Re: RISC-V Arduino is here.

Wed May 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Good news indeed. RISC-V holds some big promise for the future of all platforms, and Arduino is a good place to get the foot into the public eye market door.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater

Wed May 24, 2017 7:29 pm

gtechn,
Remember when I brought up the possibility of RISC-V?
No. But I remember when I brought up the possibility of a RISC V based Pi a few times :)

I'm really pleased to see a RISC V board released. However I'm wondering about the sanity of the Cinque. That board has a ESP32 on it. The ESP32 contains two 32 bit cores running at 240MHz, plus half a megabyte of RAM, plus 16 MByte flash, plus 32 GPIO and a ton of other stuff. Besides the wireless goodies of course.
Meanwhile the RISC V on there only has a tiny bit of RAM (can't find the figures now). One wonders why it is on the board at all, the ESP32 already does all that and more.

Still, I will be getting a Cinque or two. Gotta support the RISC V cause.

What would be cool would be if things like the ESP32 used the RISC V architecture. I'm sure it will come to pass.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Gavinmc42

Thu May 25, 2017 2:10 am

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_ ... ernel-Port

Lucky I had to learn this Linux stuff for Pi's, it may come in useful after all :lol:

I will wait for the 500 series chips, 32bit is so last century ;)
hmm, at my current rate of progress learning Aarch64, I may as wait for the 128bit RISC_V's.

Arduino Cinque, only 32bit not Linux?
Nice fast Arduino, not even close to Pi's.
Sort of makes the original 16MHz Arduino look a little dated.
Wonder what use hackers and tinkerers will make of it?
So many toys, so little time :(
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

gtechn

Thu May 25, 2017 1:29 pm

I will wait for the 500 series chips, 32bit is so last century
hmm, at my current rate of progress learning Aarch64, I may as wait for the 128bit RISC_V's.

Arduino Cinque, only 32bit not Linux?
32bit is pretty last century, agreed, but in the Raspberry Pi's case, there isn't really a need for a 64-bit OS.
Arduino Cinque is a really fast Arduino, or a really slow Pi. Might want to wait for 500-series. I can't wait to see how they do against ARM in price/power/performance.
So many toys, so little time :(
Agreed!!!
No. But I remember when I brought up the possibility of a RISC V based Pi a few times :D
Go back to the "Off Topic" section homepage, and you can find my previous thread, "RISC-V One Day?" That became a long thread (though not necessarily the most accurate).
Support RISC-V! Also support Bitcoin, Blockstack, and all that...
Good news indeed. RISC-V holds some big promise for the future of all platforms, and Arduino is a good place to get the foot into the public eye market door.
Absolutely. RISC-V is perfect for the Arduino market for the time being. Very fast, easy to use, Arduino-compatible (in this form), no GPU, low power... Bliss!

gtechn

Thu May 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Wow, heater, I didn't realize how much you contributed to that conversation. Amazing!

Sometime I need to learn Verilog.

Heater

Thu May 25, 2017 5:19 pm

gtechn,

Yes, do have a go at verilog. It's a lot of fun. Especially if you get yourself set up with the Icarus verilog simulator. Makes experiments/development very quick and easy.

Sadly my RISC V on FPGA project is stalled for now while I'm busy on a project in the states.

I can't help but think that my DE0 Nano FPGA board is a more attractive, powerful, flexible way to play with RISC V for about the same money as the Cinque. If I want wireless I can just add an ESP 32 for a few dollars.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

tpylkko

Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Heater wrote: I'm really pleased to see a RISC V board released. However I'm wondering about the sanity of the Cinque. That board has a ESP32 on it. The ESP32 contains two 32 bit cores running at 240MHz, plus half a megabyte of RAM, plus 16 MByte flash, plus 32 GPIO and a ton of other stuff. Besides the wireless goodies of course.
Meanwhile the RISC V on there only has a tiny bit of RAM (can't find the figures now). One wonders why it is on the board at all, the ESP32 already does all that and more.

What would be cool would be if things like the ESP32 used the RISC V architecture. I'm sure it will come to pass.
I don't know, but when SiFive put out to make their new board, the HiFive1, which I believe is more or less identical to Arduino cinque minus the esp32, they then (last year?) claimed at that it would be the fastest ever arduino compatible board. And that the core (E31 CPU Coreplex) runs at 320 MHz with 1.61 DMIPs/MHz performance. So, perhaps it is intended to be something way much more powerful than ESP32 on it's own (which is already a monster in comparison to the 8-bit AVR's, which are quite sufficient for many purposes. Many times I really wonder what people do with these ultrapowerful microcontrollers.

gtechn

Thu May 25, 2017 9:34 pm

tpylkko wrote: I don't know, but when SiFive put out to make their new board, the HiFive1, which I believe is more or less identical to Arduino cinque minus the esp32, they then (last year?) claimed at that it would be the fastest ever arduino compatible board. And that the core (E31 CPU Coreplex) runs at 320 MHz with 1.61 DMIPs/MHz performance. So, perhaps it is intended to be something way much more powerful than ESP32 on it's own (which is already a monster in comparison to the 8-bit AVR's, which are quite sufficient for many purposes. Many times I really wonder what people do with these ultrapowerful microcontrollers.
I have no idea. They can't run full Linux, and only 15 pins or so... What on earth does all that unnecessary power go to? They must have really intensive projects to use something like that...
Heater wrote:gtechn,

Yes, do have a go at verilog. It's a lot of fun. Especially if you get yourself set up with the Icarus verilog simulator. Makes experiments/development very quick and easy.

Sadly my RISC V on FPGA project is stalled for now while I'm busy on a project in the states.
What exactly does Verilog do? I know it is a programming language for chips, but I am curious... does it, like, generate a fully-functioning chip? Or do you have to put it on a FPGA first? Speaking of which, how does an FPGA work? I'll have to look that up, though you could probably give me a briefing...

You should keep working on it. The code looks impressive.

P.S., Is, say, an Intel Core i5 just a multimillion-line program written in mostly Verilog? How is chip design done?

Gavinmc42

Fri May 26, 2017 2:28 am

Verilog is a text based way to describe logic gates and the connections between them.
Similar to how SVG is a text based way to draw graphics.
And OpenSCAD is a text based way to do 3D objects.

FPGA tools takes the text file and fit it into a Field Programmable Gate Array.
As CPU cores are just a bunch of gates, a big FGPA can be configured to be a CPU or anything else.
RISC-V is nice because it does not require as many gates as old cpu designs that need to be compatible with previous versions.
ie x86, ARM, MIPS....
Less gates means lower cost or more cores or more speed or more room for extra stuff.....
Just a better use of the silicon die size.

If you want to learn how to design cpus, there is years of posts on how Chip Gracey is doing it for the Propeller 2 over on the Parallax forums.
Heater is well know there too ;)
Most chips are designed by big expensive tools and lots of engineers and it's all hush hush.
Parallax made their design open and the very long process by mostly one person is a saga in itself.

Some of us here are twiddling our thumbs, playing with Pi's until Prop2 comes out.
Others like heater grab a DE0 board and play with the FPGA version of Prop2.

Arduino on board with RISC-V is a game changer.
Most people who use Arduino's don't really care if it is 8bit,16, 32bit cpu's as long as it does what they want.
Wonder how long before someone does VGA out on the Cinque?

Now Cinque is a serious toy, so much extra stuff on the board, wonder what power is like?
But I did order my 2nd Zero W yesterday, it can do more and it's still cheaper even one off with shipping.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Off topic discussion”