abishur

Re: Its Gone Awfully Quiet...

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Touched? Not while you're sick. Growing up in my house there was no touching of the infected ones. In fact, they were usually quarantined with a humidifier running outside their door (the humidifier had a teaspoon of bleach in it to disinfect the air)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Burngate

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:33 pm

I can do grapes if you like ...
[img=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Table ... _white.jpg]white[/img]
[img=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grapes_Angoor.JPG]or red[/img]
or my favourite - ready to drink
[Image Can Not Be Found]

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:39 pm

I need to go an get some lysol. Since Liz announced she was ill this computer has gone really flakey. I think her germs have managed to wriggle through the internet and reach me.

It's Typhoid Liz

Please can someone go to her house and paint a cross on her door and give her a bell to ring when she ventures out so we can stay clear of her

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Quote from ukscone on December 9, 2011, 15:39
I need to go an get some lysol. Since Liz announced she was ill this computer has gone really flakey. I think her germs have managed to wriggle through the internet and reach me...

You DO realize Liz was handling the stickers?

(Can't boil 'em, how about the microwave?)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Burngate

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Rum .. if anyone's near Cumbria Whitehaven's got an interesting exhibition:
http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc.....-story.htm
Also includes stuff about Rum's effect on the slave trade, and sugar, and the Caribean.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on December 9, 2011, 16:06
Quote from ukscone on December 9, 2011, 15:39
I need to go an get some lysol. Since Liz announced she was ill this computer has gone really flakey. I think her germs have managed to wriggle through the internet and reach me...

You DO realize Liz was handling the stickers?

(Can't boil 'em, how about the microwave?)

That was before she got sick I think (hope). Maybe I got some that Eben handled rather than Bubonic Liz

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Quote from Burngate on December 9, 2011, 16:17
Rum .. if anyone's near Cumbria Whitehaven's got an interesting exhibition:
http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc.....-story.htm
Also includes stuff about Rum's effect on the slave trade, and sugar, and the Caribean.

Sounds good, but I don't think I'll be venturing up to Cumbria in this weather this weekend!

But I could make some rum fudge.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

ukscone said:

That was before she got sick I think (hope). Maybe I got some that Eben handled rather than Bubonic Liz

I suppose it all depends on how long she was infectious before the symptoms became apparent. Of course, Eben is probably just as risky...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

walney

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Quote from Burngate on December 9, 2011, 16:17
Rum .. if anyone's near Cumbria Whitehaven's got an interesting exhibition...

Ahhh, Cumbria! A great place... to come from.

Q: What's Cumbria biggest export?
A: People.

[I am a Cumbrian btw.]

rnaodm

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:03 am

I've lurked for months, extremely excited about the raspi, bought a rii mini keyboard/touchpad, USB hub and Mini wifi Dongle.

I was excited when in October it was to be released, I was still excited when it got pushed back to November, Bit disappointed when it got pushed back to December, And now I cant even find any mention of a release date anywhere.

I dont really keep up with the raspi anymore and honestly I bet a big part of the lack of activity has to do with people who feel the same way.

I wish you guys success but for the most part raspi is turning into just another piece of vaporware.

kme

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:08 am

Quote from rnaodm on December 11, 2011, 02:03
I was excited when in October it was to be released, I was still excited when it got pushed back to November, Bit disappointed when it got pushed back to December, And now I cant even find any mention of a release date anywhere.It has never been October. Never. It has always been Q4. We are still in Q4.

Take your flame war elsewhere.

riffraff

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:09 am

Quote from abishur on December 9, 2011, 14:50
(the humidifier had a teaspoon of bleach in it to disinfect the air)

Dear God!!! More likely to cause respiratory failure than disinfect the air! D=

rnaodm

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:15 am

Quote from kme on December 11, 2011, 02:08
.It has never been October. Never. It has always been Q4. We are still in Q4.

Take your flame war elsewhere.

Flamewar? I said one negative thing among multiple praises for the pi. Its a great device but it isn't available, it should be, but isn't. And there's no real release date, just "eh q4 ish"

johnbeetem

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:28 am

I wish you guys success but for the most part raspi is turning into just another piece of vaporware.

Speaking as someone who has seen an Alpha running, it's definitely not vaporware. It just takes time to get a high-quality design completed by people who are donating a lot of time and effort. At this point I think we're mostly limited by manufacturing turn-around time. As I've said elsewhere in the forum, I'd prefer a solid, reliable design later than something flaky sooner.

problemchild

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:28 am

I'm sure October+++ as been mentioned. I'm sure that they wanted less "+++" just like us but releasing a device where stuff works and there's already a set of working Software(Linux distros etc) is more important than just the board it's self. In reality there's not much to this board and I'm sure it's close(ish) to some reference design and would of been released some time ago if it had a large budget behind it. Doing it as a side project means we get the love but maybe not all the time as those involved need to earn a living as well. This does mean however we get something quite nice for a price that's sensible!

abishur

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:00 am

Also check the twitter feed.

We'll be moving to large-scale production in Jan.

Just be patient here, it's obvious from the deluge of information provided that this isn't vaporware. I know we're all anxious to get our hacks on, but we don't want another iPhone 4 or an xbox 360 or *shudder* windows vista. Rushing developers and getting a half baked product is never the solution.

For those who can't wait, I believe that once the testing is over they're going to auction off the 100 prototype final boards. Hopefully, provided that nothing was wrong with the boards, that will be sometime before the end of this year.

abishur

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Quote from riffraff on December 11, 2011, 02:09
Quote from abishur on December 9, 2011, 14:50
(the humidifier had a teaspoon of bleach in it to disinfect the air)

Dear God!!! More likely to cause respiratory failure than disinfect the air! D=

Well not with that small amount of bleach in relation to the quantity of water, but more importantly, it was outside the room, not inside the room with the sick individual ;)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:43 pm

I've lurked for months, extremely excited about the raspi, bought a rii mini keyboard/touchpad, USB hub and Mini wifi Dongle.

I was excited when in October it was to be released, I was still excited when it got pushed back to November, Bit disappointed when it got pushed back to December, And now I cant even find any mention of a release date anywhere.

I dont really keep up with the raspi anymore and honestly I bet a big part of the lack of activity has to do with people who feel the same way.

Well, I've had my alpha board since October.

As others said - its always been Q4, it's not vapourware, at the worst it's a month later than expected. Shame -it had been had hoped it would be out by now, but things have contrived against the initial timescale.

Patience is a virtue.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Montekuri

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:46 am

For me, it is good that the official launch will be on january.
The postage service is a caos on december with a lot of gifts being delivery.

johnbeetem

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:18 am

Quote from jamesh on December 11, 2011, 20:43
Patience is a virtue.
If we're going to talk about virtue (still Sunday in USA), I'll add:

"Impatience is a sin which punishes itself."

Jessie

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:29 am

Is that back when they were going to give away a free Rolex with every purchase or when it was going to come to a map to the Leprican's pot of gold? I can't beleave what the world has come to when a non-profit slips their non-existant release date.

jmarsden

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:41 am

Speaking of stated availability timeframe, it might be worth updating the FAQ, which says in part:
We anticipate the device will be available to the general public later in 2011 – we were hoping to hit the end of November, but right now December’s looking more likely.

Indeed, December is more likely than November, since November 2011 has come and gone :) However, an update that indicates likely general availability in early 2012 might be appropriate.

abishur

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Yeah, unfortunately, I think issues like that are low on the priority totem pole of "let's do this". They're fairly busy trying to get the boards out. And it certainly doesn't help issues when people try to call a board that already had it's first batch created called vaporware because (many) someone(s) doesn't understand the concept of "estimated" release date

Edit: Not that you were doing that :) , I was referring to the post that actually accused them of being vaporware because they took "fourth Quarter release date" to mean October (which it *NEVER* was) and in their minds see the release date as "slipping" further and further back.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:48 pm

FAQ updated - thanks for the poke!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

abishur

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:36 pm

yay liz is back from the land of the sick!

PS worst land in which to take a vacation EVER

Burngate

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Welcome back, Liz ... sanity returns!
As a matter of interest, how are you thinking of organizing the auction? I know you haven't set a date for it yet, since there was a hiccup last week with the making of the boards, so maybe organizing their sale is probably a tad premature, but the idea of an Ebay auction fills me with dread!

Return to “Off topic discussion”