fd1

What role did Rpi play in "Mr Robot"?

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:04 pm

In the TV series "Mr Robot", the raspberry pi was used to bring down the world. How the hell did this $35 device manage to accomplish such an amazing feat? I did not quite catch that in the show.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: What role did Rpi play in "Mr Robot"?

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Mr Robot is fiction. Pi was eye candy.

Try watching Wargames sometime!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:49 pm

jamesh wrote:Try watching Wargames sometime!
You're showing your age. That's my all time #1 favourite "computers doing things computers can't do" film. "The only winning move is not to play". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:04 pm

As far as I can tell a Pi is as powerful as the HAL 9000 in Arthur C. Clarke's "2001 A Space Odyssey" movie of 1968.

After all it has more memory, storage space, network bandwidth and raw performance than any computer I actually owned in 2001.

Plus it has the advantage of internet connectivity. Which HAL did not have. Being on it's way to Mars and all that.

Heater

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:32 pm

DougieLawson,

Perhaps you can help.

Back in 1971 or so us young teenagers were shown a movie in school. It was called "War game" or "War games" or such. It was an old black and white thing.

It was all about nuclear war coming to Britain.

It kind of hit home because the center of action was in my home town of Canterbury.

At the time I understood this movie was banned from public viewing. Far to disturbing in it's realistic portrayal of what a nuclear strike would be like.

Today I cannot find it anywhere.

Heater

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Ah, I think I have it. It was "The War Game" from 1965.

Apparently they determined that "the effect of the film has been judged by the BBC to be too horrifying for the medium of broadcasting. It will, however, be shown to invited audiences..."

Still can't find it on YouTube.

morphy_richards

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Game ?
Edit - Heater, your Googling beat me by several seconds

morphy_richards

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:45 pm

"Threads" was also very good, but perhaps too off topic even for off topic.

Heater

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:12 pm

Off topic but I found "The War Game". https://archive.org/details/TheWarGame_201405

Not recommended for those allergic to reality.

Looking at it now, I get the idea that nothing has changed since 1965.

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:27 am

I think I'm too young to have seen that video / public information film. It was made when I was two years old. (I'm a mere youth at 53 years old.)

I remember the nonsense Gov't propaganda "Protect & Survive" booklet (from 1980) that told us to whitewash the windows and hide under our dinning table. There's a word to describe that stuff starts with "B" and rhymes with the equipment that holds an oar blade on a rowing boat.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fd1

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:39 am

I thought I am old. I realize there are many older folks than me playing with the Raspberry Pi:)

aleifuu

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:28 am

Hmm, haven't really been following "Mr.Robot" as the first few series did not catch my attention at all. But wait, there's a raspberrypi element being used in that show ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DavidS

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:56 pm

aleifuu wrote:Hmm, haven't really been following "Mr.Robot" as the first few series did not catch my attention at all. But wait, there's a raspberrypi element being used in that show ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yea, kind of not realistic. It is running a preset command sequence to supposedly override the climate control in a building simply by plugging it into the climate control systems USB (no one would be dumb enough to make a climate control system that has standard ports, get realistic).
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:32 pm

DavidS,
..no one would be dumb enough to make a climate control system that has standard ports, get realistic
You forgot to add a smiley to that.

Of course people do that kind of thing all the time. Ever hear of Stuxnet?

Given the endless stream of hacked systems I read about everyday there seems to be no end of such examples.

BMS Doug

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Heater wrote:DavidS,
..no one would be dumb enough to make a climate control system that has standard ports, get realistic
You forgot to add a smiley to that.
I haven't seen mr Robot but individual room controllers themselves dont normally have usb ports but the operator workstation would have.
Heater wrote:Of course people do that kind of thing all the time. Ever hear of Stuxnet?

Given the endless stream of hacked systems I read about everyday there seems to be no end of such examples.
I was working for a high profile client when news of Stuxnet hit, we immediately locked down access to the USB ports and instituted a policy that any USB devices that had to be connected must be virus scanned first. The next week the generator maintenance contractor visited site and needed to connect his USB thumb drive to the PC controlling our generator control PLC's, he claimed his drive was virus free but ran a virus check upon my request. Stuxnet was present on his USB thumb drive.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Heater

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 pm

BMS Doug,

Wow, brilliant story.

Back in the day when I worked on secure things, we were not allowed even a telephone connection to our office. The office had to have no windows. It had to be some meters inside the site boundary so that nobody could sniff EM emissions from our monitors and such. We had to lock our hard drives in a safe at the the of every working day. I needed three levels of pass card/key to get onto the site and sit at my desk.

No really, that is how it was.

That was an extreme military thing but in the decades since I have been amazed at the lax attitude to security almost everywhere.

dan3008

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:32 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
jamesh wrote:Try watching Wargames sometime!
You're showing your age. That's my all time #1 favourite "computers doing things computers can't do" film. "The only winning move is not to play". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo
Not showing his age at all. I'm only 25 and war games is my all time #1 favourate movie total :P
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

David613

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:55 am

DougieLawson wrote:I think I'm too young to have seen that video / public information film. It was made when I was two years old. (I'm a mere youth at 53 years old.)

I remember the nonsense Gov't propaganda "Protect & Survive" booklet (from 1980) that told us to whitewash the windows and hide under our dinning table. There's a word to describe that stuff starts with "B" and rhymes with the equipment that holds an oar blade on a rowing boat.

I have a similar government issued "survival" book from the cold war era here the US, I don't remember the date it was published. I got it from my grandparents because for some reason when I was young it fascinated me. It has all the classic suggestions to hide under a table etc, but if I recall it also had some sort of basic plans for an underground shelter which I believe a table also played some sort of radiation/pressure wave role. I'll have to dig that out and flip through it again for kicks

Return to “Off topic discussion”