sirus

Using Pi to send pc signal to phone

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Sorry for the poor worded subject in advance.

I have Kodi installed on my phone which I sometimes connected to a shared folder on my pc via wifi to watch movies on my hard drive. The problem I am facing is that I sometimes lag depending on where I am in the house.

I was just curious If any knows send the stream via powelines to the pi to where then I can send the signal via WiFi to the phone.

Essentially:
PC --Poweline--->Pi(wifi dongle) ---> Phone

Thanks

topguy

Re: Using Pi to send pc signal to phone

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:24 pm

In any case its a matter of signal strength. Will the Pi's signal be better than your routers signal in the area you are looking for.
Do you have a Raspberry and a Wifi dongle to test with ? And a dongle with an antenna might be better than the more compact wifi dongles.

jgreen71

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:39 pm

So...
PC -> ethernet -> converter -> powerline -> converter -> USB -> RPI ->USB -> wifi -> phone?

I'm sorry to say, you're going to get even worse lag.

sirus

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:28 pm

I got the following equipment:

TP-LINK 600Mbps TL-PA4010PKIT Powerline Adapter
PI2 with a 5v 2a power adapter.
Wifi dongle (Standard one you get with pi start up kits im afraid)

I have a talktalk router which has a pretty poor signal strength passed the room its situated in. I was hoping to cut going through the router completely.

drgeoff

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:37 pm

jgreen71 wrote:So...
PC -> ethernet -> converter -> powerline -> converter -> USB -> RPI ->USB -> wifi -> phone?

I'm sorry to say, you're going to get even worse lag.
Not so. You are confusing transmission delay with buffer refilling delay due to the path bit rate being less than the coded bit rate of the movie.

The former will increase but should still be insignificant. Increasing the received Wi-Fi signal strength usually improves a low throughput rate.

Return to “Off topic discussion”