Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Release Day Pool (just for fun)

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 pm

You know, I just hate it when the database error results in a double post.... 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

scep

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Jongoleur said:

You now have The Power to delete them. And also, on the day of release, to go back and edit your prediction to be accurate to the second

Lynbarn

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 pm

scep said:

Jongoleur said:

You now have The Power to delete them. And also, on the day of release, to go back and edit your prediction to be accurate to the second

Yes, but where would be the fun in THAT?

pauldow

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:55 am

Abishur said:

...We know that they're going to run each board through a series of test to make sure they're functioning appropriately ...
They're not planning on running tests on all ten thousand are they?  Figuring four people testing 8 hours a day at 10 minutes per piece is 52 work days.

So if they arrive in the UK, and get through customs, I figure March 5 will start testing. So they would be ready to ship on May 16 if everything goes perfectly.

There's three Bank Holidays during that time frame, and some people probably need some regular time off too, so I'm going with May 30.

Of course, if I'm correct, this will be the scene outside stately Raspberry Towers by then:

abishur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:21 am

pauldow said:

Abishur said:

...We know that they're going to run each board through a series of test to make sure they're functioning appropriately ...

They're not planning on running tests on all ten thousand are they?  Figuring four people testing 8 hours a day at 10 minutes per piece is 52 work days

From what I remember them saying, they were indeed going to test each board, but I believe they have a better method than a person having to sit down and perform a 10 minute test on each board
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:22 am

I would imagine that the test is restricted to whether the Pi boots up. Either it does or it doesn't. So just a few seconds really. Still, quite a time to do that and then pack and label  each item. Then you have to factor in tea and fag breaks. I suppose it depends on the grit,  determination and commitment of the good old British worker.

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 am

scep said:

Jongoleur said:

I thought I should be able to, but I'm not quite at one with my SuperPowers(tm) yet, it'll take a little while to morph into my new, terrifying persona.

Lets try.

QUAIL, Brief Mortals!!!!!!

Or is that just giving them the bird???

Lakes

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:47 am

i imagine a robot inserting an SD card into each one...

Luny

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Lakes said:

i imagine a robot inserting an SD card into each one...

What? The british workers?
Luny

rgmward

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:44 pm

my guess for launch will be monday 27th at 4pm gmt - because that is the time i get on a plane and so will be unable to order for about 6 hours!

by the time i get internet again, they will all be sold out

dognosh

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 pm

rgmward said:

my guess for launch will be monday 27th at 4pm gmt - because that is the time i get on a plane and so will be unable to order for about 6 hours!

I can't see "10,000 units sold singularly" being sold out in 6 hours !

nelson

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:00 pm

dognosh said:

rgmward said:

They wont, /. will post the sale on first page and the store will be ddos for an entire day. That or the servers actually hold and the whole lot is sold in 1 hour

edit: error

Chris.Rowland

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Perhaps we should have a Pool on how long before the first batch is sold out as well

My guess is a day or two.

Chris

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Nelson said:

...   /. will post the sale on first page and the store will be ddos for an entire day  ...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if /. got /..ed on that day.  

We'll get 'em when we get 'em, sooner or later every one who wants one will be happy.

Of course, I'd rather it was sooner than later!

abishur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Nelson said:

dognosh said:

rgmward said:

I can"t see "10,000 units sold singularly" being sold out in 6 hours !

They wont, /. will post the sale on first page and the store will be ddos for an entire day. That or the servers actually hold and the whole lot is sold in 1 hour

Actually, the servers being used for the store are not the same servers as being used to host the r-pi website.  The server hosting the store is actually a very robust industrial server designed to handle the kind of shopping load the r-pi will get on its release date.  My guess is that the r-pi site itself will have some errors, but the store will be just fine

I remain skeptical that all 10K boards will sell out in an hour.   I know that there are a lot of people wanting it, but I also know they're spread across the world.  This isn't like a line camped out in front of an apple store, where everyone is in the same time zone.  I'm aware of people here in from -9 GMT to +8.  That's an 18 hour spread (is my math right on that one?).  So I expect it to get sold out in a day, I'm just thinking it will be more spread out (though I freely admit, this is just my personal opinion and I think it would be *amazing* if I turned out to be wrong)

arm2

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 pm

I think giving advance warning is almost certainly going to mean that the best part of 100,000 people will try to buy and I'd give 10-1 on odds that it will take down "a very robust industrial server"

tero

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 am

I am going to to say february 30

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 am

Probably next Tuesday

Definitely!

(YMMV)

There, think I've covered my back!

abishur

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:28 am

Assuming that at 0600 the news is that the r-pi is released it looks like rurwin will be the one winning this little guessing game we've been playing with a guess of February 29th @ 9AM GMT.  If they do release on the 29th it will be pretty cool that the r-pi only gets an anniversary every four years

rgmward

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:18 pm

dognosh said:

rgmward said:

I have just returned to this topic after a little while.  it is amusing to read how wrong Dagnosh was in his reply to me!!

also, the comments about the DDoS were scarily accurate - even if it was not /. that causes it!

i'm still amused by how that day went... and will be waiting until late summer as even with trying to order, i was not there until well after the initial 2 or 3 batches were sold.  I will have fun reading everyone's comments about what they are doing while i patiently wait.

ps - thanks again to everyone on the rpi team for the incredible achievements they have made so far - and wish i could buy them all a beer.

abishur

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeah, the farther we get from the launch date, the more I see it doesn't matter how they released it.  They could have had everyone submit a 1 page essay on what they plan to do with it and why they should get one or a raffle or anything else and we'd still be exactly where we are right now.  There would have been a mad rush at the two distributors when they opened up for pre-orders, lots of frustration and then we'd all still be patiently(ish) waiting on the edge of our seats!

pauldow

Wed May 30, 2012 12:27 am

I did pretty good on my 15 Feb post where I said they would be available on 30 May, and it arrived today, 29 May. I must be psychic, or is it psycho?

hackery21

Wed May 30, 2012 1:44 am

Haha reading this makes me laugh. Well, if you order now, you can get one by Christmas!! Haha and you thought you would get one LAST christmas. HILARIOUS.

Return to “Off topic discussion”