jmycroft

$5 Linux board with WiFi

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:36 am

There is a new Kickstarter campaign of a $5 dev board with WiFi and also runs Linux. Looks like some MIPS SoC that's far less power than the Raspberry Pi. But the size makes in very interesting for hardware projects. curious to see what you guys think.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/on ... d-by-linux

fruitoftheloom

Re: $5 Linux board with WiFi

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:25 am

jmycroft wrote:There is a new Kickstarter campaign of a $5 dev board with WiFi and also runs Linux. Looks like some MIPS SoC that's far less power than the Raspberry Pi. But the size makes in very interesting for hardware projects. curious to see what you guys think.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/on ... d-by-linux
It would appear you need to spend an extra $15.00 on a Docking Carrier Board ??

adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Heater

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:31 pm

You don't need the expansion board if you are wanting to use the module in your own creation. Which is fine by me.

What I don't like is the dependence on their cloud service, the "Onion"or whatever. I want a device that is usable without any such tethers.

But I guess that can be hacked up if need be. If that's a MIPs device, I don't see any mention of that, it will probably run OpenWRT. Which would be nice.

scruss

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:09 pm

I know (sorta) some of the folks in the Toronto Onion development team. It's not intended to be a Raspberry Pi killer, or even compete in the same market. Think of it as a fancy Arduino with an OS. It's going to be a pretty small Linux with 64 or 128 MB of RAM; even the screenshots show it's running BusyBox, the shell for tiny devices. It doesn't have video out, as far as I can tell.

What does mark this above the average Kickstarter noise (such as C.H.I.P., grumble grumble inept shipping delays grumble) is that the team has been around for a few years, and have shipped a moderately-successful product before.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Heater

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:34 pm

So, is it possible the Onion guys could just sell us the gadget without the requirement for their web services? Just point us to the required Linux build and required loader and let us get on with it.

Because I don't want to invest any time building anything that is tethered to some cloud service or other. These things have a habit to go dark when the company goes under or they move to a new system. Thus rendering all you have done useless.

Me, I'll pledge some cash for it. And try and figure out how to use it stand alone.

scruss

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:51 pm

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to use the cloud, Onion's or otherwise. I can check with them. I ordered one too, and am about a 20 minute drive from their office.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:58 am

Interesting.... I think this goes to show just what a tour de force Eben pulled off to make the Pi Zero. I'm going to think about it a bit, but I'll probably go in on the KS just to have one. If so, it'll be the Omega 2+ and power adapter, since the $5 verion is--essentially--useless with the extra $15 (or a lot of work) and is rather severely limited. Not that the 2+ is any great shakes as far as CPU and memory goes.

stderr

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:28 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Interesting.... I think this goes to show just what a tour de force Eben pulled off to make the Pi Zero.
It's set the bar such that these sorts of products are where the low end just has to be. Obviously they are responding to the argument that connectivity is important and so is whatever is used for the boot process against the price of the zero. Of course no one seems to be considering the landed price, which can't be good when you only buy one at a time, unless it's some crazy thing for 99 cents from China with free shipping, good grief!
If so, it'll be the Omega 2+ and power adapter, since the $5 verion is--essentially--useless
There's still the issue, for someone to address, of powering these things. That would be where support for unregulated 12 volt wall warts comes in. But this $5 version seems to be at the right price point and getting a bunch more stuff seems counterproductive, at least to me, this is hardly something you'd use outside of IoT uses.

jmycroft

Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:31 am

Just decided to back them. The campaign seems to be getting quite a bit of traction.

The $5 price point is great for embedding into projects or commercial products. The product will likely come with power supplies to supply it with power. So i guess the cost for the docks, expansions and whatever are only for during the development process. This could significantly cut product development time and production cost.

Heater

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:03 am

It uses OpenWRT. The same Linux distro I have in all my WIFI routers around here. Runs in a small space. Very reliable. Great stuff.

Basically the Omega is a WIFI router MIPS SoC.

I could use a few dozen of them!

TonyD

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:37 pm

I backed the larger memory version at $9 and added a base board for a grand total of $24

Its very similar to the wrtnode board: MIPS SoC, WIFI, pin-header mountable
Tony

W. H. Heydt

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:30 pm

TonyD wrote:I backed the larger memory version at $9 and added a base board for a grand total of $24

Its very similar to the wrtnode board: MIPS SoC, WIFI, pin-header mountable
So did I, but added an "add-on board to be decided later", so $39. Unless something better strikes me in the mean time, the extra board will probably be the "Arduino" base.

It occurs to me that the best Pi comparison to the Omega boards (to the extent they compare to any Pi) is the CM. You need a carrier board to turn the raw product into a working device, with the option to build a carrier to any spec you choose. I will grant that a $9 Omega 2+ is a lot cheaper than a $40 CM, but it's also a lot less computer, so the comparison isn't as unfair to the CM as it might seem.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:57 pm

KS has sent out the official e-mail that they made their nut and the campaign is funded. My delivery is supposed to be in November.

Heater

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:22 pm

Yep, got my bet in in the closing 20 minutes.

Already have some code running on a tiny MIPs based WIFI router running OpenWRT ready to go.

steveb4pi

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:25 pm

It's a chip .. but the Pi Zero is a fully functional computer for the same price ..

OK, so it's got WiFi, so maybe it's aimed at the schools market (where we have the BBC Micro:bit at cost of about £13)

NB I wonder how you enter your the WiFi password ???

scruss

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:38 am

They more than made their nut; $672,801 pledged of $15,000 goal …

I suspect that the wifi config would be done via USB web server, like the Beaglebone.

Heater

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:35 am

I have no idea really but the processor is the same as used in domestic WIFI routers. And it has WIFI. And it runs OpenWRT, the operating system I have on all my WIFI routers.

Putting all this together I speculate that you just power it up and it is a WIFI router. You connect to it and visit it's setup page.

Return to “Off topic discussion”