PeterO

Mercury solar transit.

Mon May 09, 2016 3:04 pm

You can see Mercury crossing the face of the sun on the solar imagery on the NASA space weather site at
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/sp ... nthusiasts

It is clearly visible in the visible spectrum but a bit harder to spot in the X-ray image.

PeterO
Last edited by PeterO on Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Mars solar transit.

Mon May 09, 2016 3:24 pm

PeterO wrote:
It is clearly visible in the visible spectrum but a bit harder to spot in the X-ray image.
Thanks! Yes, in the visible spectrum near the end of the clip from 11:30 -- 13:10 UTC ... you can grab the slider and manually position between those times...
marcus
:ugeek:

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 09, 2016 3:42 pm

That would require the space weather satellite to be farther from the Sun than Mars is. Last time I checked, the space weather satellites were all inside Earth orbit. (It kind of helps to see solar events *before* they hit the Earth.)

PeterO

Mon May 09, 2016 3:44 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:That would require the space weather satellite to be farther from the Sun than Mars is. Last time I checked, the space weather satellites were all inside Earth orbit. (It kind of helps to see solar events *before* they hit the Earth.)
Yes you are correct on all points. However you will "see events" before they reach the earth anyway as the particles that cause trouble all travel slower than the speed of light ! :shock:

PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 09, 2016 4:05 pm

PeterO wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:That would require the space weather satellite to be farther from the Sun than Mars is. Last time I checked, the space weather satellites were all inside Earth orbit. (It kind of helps to see solar events *before* they hit the Earth.)
Yes you are correct on all points. However you will "see events" before they reach the earth anyway as the particles that cause trouble all travel slower than the speed of light ! :shock:
That's not the point. If the weather satellites are all in orbits of less than 1 AU from the sun, how can Mars, with an orbit of around 1.5AU pass between them and the sun?

This may be Venus or Mercury, but it seems unlikely that it is Mars unless there's a space weather satellite out by the asteroid belt.

MarkHaysHarris777

Mon May 09, 2016 4:09 pm

rurwin wrote:
This may be Venus or Mercury,
Its Mercury.
marcus

stubright

Mon May 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Is a beard a requirement for this particular thread?

MarkHaysHarris777

Mon May 09, 2016 8:07 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote: Its Mercury.

The entire transit may be seen now from about 11:30 -- 18:50 UTC... very cool.
marcus

jogl

Mon May 09, 2016 11:04 pm

What I would really like to see is the Pluto (still a planet in my world) transit. I would suffer through growing a beard to see that!

stderr

Mon May 09, 2016 11:25 pm

jogl wrote:What I would really like to see is the Pluto (still a planet in my world) transit. I would suffer through growing a beard to see that!
So you are out past Pluto looking back at it as it goes across the face of the sun? Isn't the sun rather a pin prick of light at that distance? And even if you magnify it, don't you then have to be significantly farther away from Pluto than Pluto is from the sun? So, basically, you are on that nano ship to Alpha Centauri realSoonNow?

PeterO

Re: Mercury solar transit.

Tue May 10, 2016 8:33 am

I've just realised I got the wrong "M" planet ! It was Mercury , not Mars !

Sorry for any possible confusion that caused ! W. H. Heydt's comments make more sense now ! Sorry again.

PeterO

Return to “Off topic discussion”