jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Your first time coding experience

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Woll wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Then borrowed a UK101, then got a BBC Micro. Still got it....

All 6502 based.
Does it still work?
Do you still use it?
In the loft, hasn't been turned on for 20 years....I suspect it needs some new electrolytics. Serial number 3335 (or maybe 3336) so quite an early one. Got me through the first two years of university as had a Pascal compiler on it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Woll

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:54 pm

jamesh wrote:
Woll wrote:
jamesh wrote:

All 6502 based.
Does it still work?
Do you still use it?
In the loft, hasn't been turned on for 20 years....I suspect it needs some new electrolytics. Serial number 3335 (or maybe 3336) so quite an early one. Got me through the first two years of university as had a Pascal compiler on it.
You should keep it. It's computer history. I wish I kept my ZX81 and Commadore 16.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

rpdom

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:58 pm

jamesh wrote:
Woll wrote:
jamesh wrote:

All 6502 based.
Does it still work?
Do you still use it?
The Beebs themselves aren't too bad. The caps in the PSU tend to cause problems. On in particular tended to go "pop". I still have a small stock of spares for those (slightly higher rating).

gregeric

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:10 am

I lusted after a Sinclair MK14, but eventually got my hands on an Ohio Scientific Superboard II (identical to the UK101, who copied who?). Microsoft BASIC it was (in 4 or 8KiB of ROM), then 6502 assembler as I patched/enhanced the ROMs. Hacked the hardware too, putting in battery backed CMOS static RAM to replace ROMs. Seemed like a good idea at the time... no more UV EEPROM reprogramming, but ~35 years on, not such a good idea, as it no longer works :-(

r3d4

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 am

I was taught about "reunion of broken parts" in school

IDK if that counts as "code" ?
# i think some ppl might not be happy if it dose :oops:

---
four stages involved in any revolutionary development.
1)Its nonsense, dont waste my time
2)Oh, its interesting but not important
3)I always said it was a good idea
4)I wish I had thought of it first

jahboater

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:30 am

Fortran IV on punched cards.
Later came Z80 machine code in hex (in my spare time).

PeterO

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:55 am

First exposure to computers was at junior school with one of these : http://www.wang2200.org/

Then went backwards in technology as grammar school had this in a class room: http://www.g6lvb.com/803.htm Programmed in Algol-60 , H-CODE (a language developed by the previous machine owner) and machine code.

First home brew machine was based on a General Instruments chip set called the "Advanced Logic Processing System" (ALPS) (Large PDF of data sheets here: http://www.wass.net/othermanuals/GI%20LP8000.pdf) My system started with 16 leds and 16 switches and 256 bytes of RAM. It ended up with 3K RAM,2K Video Ram, Paper tape reader and punch, Teleprinter, ADCs and DACs, Scanner for piano keyboard, 4 channel tone generator, wave table synthesiser,. It ended up as a peripheral controller for a Z80 system. All programming was done directly into Hexadecimal.

Numberous Z80 systems followed finishing with a machine that had four 8" floppy drives , 64K RAM, 256K RAM disk and ran CPM 2.2. I actually bought a C compiler for this machine :-)

First x86 was a 10Mhz 80286 that ran DR-DOS.

First Linux machine was a 33Mhz 80386SX.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:08 pm

NormanDunbar wrote:
expandables wrote:Coding is no walk in the park for me i literally stare at my PC for hours when i don't know a code.
For example

Code: Select all

if [[ "$INT" =~ ^-?[0-9]+$ ]]; then
:twisted:
The best advice I can offer, do not code in Perl! :D

Cheers,
Norm.
Shome mishtake shurely. That snippet of code is bash not perl. Perl has its own unique degree of ugliness - which is a shame because it's a superbly powerful language.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gkreidl

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:13 pm

about 35 years ago: a Nascom Z80 computer with 1 KB RAM and another KB video memory. The first thing I wrote was a simple text editor. I could write (and edit) one screen full of text, then save it to tape and go on with the next page ...
Hand coded Z80 assembler typed in as hex code ...
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

morphy_richards

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:39 pm

My first program was either on a BBC or my MSX. Either way I recall making a sort of basic text and simple graphical adventure game with blocky animations made by printing strings of ASCII symbols followed by a delay, a CLS and more prints.

Back then all I had was a tape recorder on which to try to save my programs which NEVER ever worked so when my mum unplugged my computer to do the hoovering everything was consigned to oblivion. I don't know how many times I remade versions of that game.

Always on dark rainy Saturdays in winter, after the A team. With a bag of pick 'n mix from J Sainsbury's for sustenance.

TalkNerdyToMe

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:08 am

Ah that brings me back. I was learning most of it on my own, so I started with a simple website builder (example here) that actually didn't require much coding, and I just played around with it alongside tutorials and figured things out as I went. Now I am doing it on my own, but it was a valuable experience. Has anyone tried Linda.com courses/tutorials? That was my go-to. I did an HTML basics with them and a bunch of other courses. Really helpful.

Heater

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:34 am

I was able to type in and run my first program 42 years ago when I started an A level course in computer science at a technical college. BASIC of course, typed into a teletype connected via acoustic modem to some mainframe far away. Don't recall what that machine actually was, if I ever knew. We could even save our program locally, on paper tape.

We also learned assembly language programming during that comp. sci. course. Along with statistics and numerical analysis. It was a great time.

Two years later it was ALGOL at university. On a giant ICL 2960 mainframe.

Then the micro-revolution hit...

expandables,
I believe you senior citizens had it better then us because you had no distraction.
Do what? There used to be girls in those days to you know :)

Besides there was all that Maths and Physics to be studying at the same time. Not to mention the electronics and motorcycle hobbies to be getting on with.
Coding is no walk in the park for me i literally stare at my PC for hours when i don't know a code.
Oh yeah, there has been a lot of that going on here over four decades. It's normal.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:35 pm

gregeric wrote:I lusted after a Sinclair MK14, but eventually got my hands on an Ohio Scientific Superboard II (identical to the UK101, who copied who?). (
the UK101 was a copy of the Ohio Scientific Superboard II. :P
see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Scientific

TalkNerdyToMe

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:33 am

Coding is no walk in the park for me i literally stare at my PC for hours when i don't know a code.
Anything that is truly worth doing is never easy.

Return to “Off topic discussion”