stderr

Re: Pine64+ a good deal?

Mon May 02, 2016 3:12 pm

ssvb wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Interesting (un)review. Supports my contention that the small hardware houses are falling on teh faces when it comes to software, and that that is going to doom any significant sales.
Well, if you read the comments there, a lot of users have their boards working just fine and did not have any problems running the 64-bit Ubuntu image.
And the mainlining work is also progressing as we speak. In fact, it's nice to see very active mainlining efforts done for all current low cost Cortex-A53 based boards: ODROID C2, PINE64 and Raspberry Pi 3. Let's see who gets this job done faster.
As long as the hardware really works solidly and some means of assuring folks they'll see usable OS support into the future exists, I'm not sure what the problem is supposed to be with any of these. The problem with OS support can really mostly be pointed right back at ARM and its various licensees who have created an ecosystem that doesn't work well together. That's not the fault of those who are trying to build the boards.

killor

Wed May 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi !

Many have asked me the usefulness of the holes in the lid.

Some are for the mini fan, others for POT board sensors,
But it is also to stack HAT boards designed for Raspberry Pi B +, 2, 3

Bye
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

DirkS

Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm

killor wrote:Image
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) [2002]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

LeMoog

Thu May 05, 2016 6:08 pm

I just ordered a pine64+ with wifi/bluetooth module, for me the 2GB of RAM and gigabit Ethernet for fast network shares covers the two major issues with RPi hardware and the greater OS variety covers the software.

I already have RPi1,2,3 so it will be interesting comparing performance especially GPU, memory, wifi, network, multi tasking for myself.

Nice selection of OS images http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A ... re_Release including android so I can run my own android apps if I want, choice is a big plus for me and I want all I can get.

Given just how fast the kickstarter project went, you can see that the Pine64 fitted a lot of peoples desires in a SBC, hopefully the Pi Foundation will take this onboard and release a RPi4 with more RAM,gigabit NIC and more OS support on this forum.

Saying Android/Chrome are not for educational needs ignores the fact that there are lots of jobs in Android development and sadly education is not just for fun but to also enable you to get employment. I presume the android drivers are already available given that most SOCs were developed for the mobile market so why not make them available so you can keep money coming in for the RPi4, 5, 6 etc.

Heater

Thu May 05, 2016 8:06 pm

LeMoog,
Saying Android/Chrome are not for educational needs ignores the fact that there are lots of jobs in Android development and sadly education is not just for fun but to also enable you to get employment.
I'm not sure how I can express my disagreement with that statement. Education is all about fun.

There are four possible scenarios:

1) You have a passion for programming and you are good at it. You will be a rock star.

2) You have a passion for programming and you are no good at it. You will not be a rock star but you will have fun.

3) You have no passion for programming and perhaps you are good at it. Fine, now you are into a career you don't like much and those guys with passion will run rings around you anyway.

4) You have no passion for programming and are bad at it. Just an idea to get a good job. You are going to fail and be miserable.

But let's take another point of view. Perhaps it's a good idea that every human knows something about computers and programming. Even if that is not part of their career plan. Given the way all these systems control our lives to day perhaps everyone needs to have some idea of what is going on.

Android/Chrome are just little practical details of implementation at this time. Learning the Android API is not learning anything about computer science.

Or another point of view: When I was younger the advice would have been to learn Fortran, or COBOL. You see where that goes...
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

mi7chy

Fri May 06, 2016 6:07 am

LeMoog wrote:I just ordered a pine64+ with wifi/bluetooth module, for me the 2GB of RAM and gigabit Ethernet for fast network shares covers the two major issues with RPi hardware and the greater OS variety covers the software.
Probably a good idea to check the Pine64 forum to gauge how stable the software is. Also, it doesn't come with a heat sink so that's an additional expense. I'd say the board that's leading with combination of hardware, software selection and software stability is Odroid XU4 then C2. RPi3 and Pine64+ are more of a trade off. RPi3 has stable Raspian but weaker hardware while Pine64+ has better hardware but software is still early work in progress.

http://forum.pine64.org/index.php

LeMoog

Fri May 06, 2016 6:36 am

mi7chy wrote:
Probably a good idea to check the Pine64 forum to gauge how stable the software is. Also, it doesn't come with a heat sink so that's an additional expense. I'd say the board that's leading with combination of hardware, software selection and software stability is Odroid XU4 then C2. RPi3 and Pine64+ are more of a trade off. RPi3 has stable Raspian but weaker hardware while Pine64+ has better hardware but software is still early work in progress.

http://forum.pine64.org/index.php
Yes I like the look of the XU4 and I will probably get one of those too.

The point I was making was that, if like me you want better ARM development hardware then you need to fuel the market.

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 13, 2016 12:42 pm

Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt

Sat May 14, 2016 5:08 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:Fake Pine Boards ?

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/05/13/ ... 64-boards/
I was thinking of saying they should be called FIR...but back in the day, KDDF was a lot higher grade than #2 Pine.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 14, 2016 6:41 am

LeMoog wrote:Saying Android/Chrome are not for educational needs ignores the fact that there are lots of jobs in Android development
You don't need a cheap Android device to learn to program on Android; you need a cheap PC-type thing such as the Pi. Android apps are developed on a PC under Windows or Linux, debugged with a simulator that runs on Windows or Linux and then downloaded to the Android device to run. With a few painful and useless exceptions (I've tried) there is no way to program directly on an Android device. Android is designed to be a run-only environment and that is counter to the purpose of RPi. Sure it might be useful to be able to run Android for various projects, but learning to program Android is not one of them. For that you need Windows, Linux, OSX, anything but Android.

If you want a cheap Android device to try out your apps on: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1120/ ... -android-4
$46.45 including taxes and shipping.
If works off battery and you get a free touch-screen, two cameras and a charger.

hippy

Sat May 14, 2016 1:34 pm

I find developing on the Pi itself a PITA; I develop under Windows then deploy to the Pi. So, while I am learning, educating myself that way, the Pi is really just an execution engine or application platform. It would be nice to have Android as well as Linux running on the Pi so I can use it for either. I would prefer my money to go to the Foundation to further their educational goals than to some other manufacturer of an Android device. I however accept that the Foundation has no interest in making that happen.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Personally, I don't want to see Android on the Pi. I think it would fragment the community. Many of the people in it for the media player functionality would move over to Android and there would be a whole lot less community support for Linux. However I have no more influence than you do.
hippy wrote:I however accept that the Foundation has no interest in making that happen.
I think it would be fair to say that they have no interest in paying money to make it happen, which is not quite the same thing.

W. H. Heydt

Sat May 14, 2016 6:50 pm

rurwin wrote:Personally, I don't want to see Android on the Pi. I think it would fragment the community. Many of the people in it for the media player functionality would move over to Android and there would be a whole lot less community support for Linux. However I have no more influence than you do.
hippy wrote:I however accept that the Foundation has no interest in making that happen.
I think it would be fair to say that they have no interest in paying money to make it happen, which is not quite the same thing.
Much agreed.

Back. at least moderately, on topic, I'm planning to test out a PINE64+2GB as an Android device for a specific purpose. It *should* be well adapted for that. (I"ll also build a Debian SD card for it, but that will be just for some evaluation tests.)

On the technical side...it has been revealed that the PINE64 boards *require* C10/UHS-1 SD cards to boot reliably. Power requirements are, basically, those recommended for a Pi3B. They're calling for 2.1A to 2.4A PSU.

And speaking of news on the PINE front...they're still having issues with too much success combined with hyperactive backers who appear to be unclear on the ins and outs of KS campaigns. A veritable circus of "what can go wrong". I really feel sympathy for the PINE guys, but they could have benefited a lot from better planning up front.

EimGhey

Sun May 15, 2016 12:45 am

Can it run Doom.. Otherwise it is useless!

hello world :-)

Sun May 15, 2016 2:53 pm

EimGhey wrote:Can it run Doom.. Otherwise it is useless!
IDK, but the Raspberry Pi can run Quake III, if you're into that sort of thing :-)
I do moral support. Here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch
I know I use too many parentheses. Problem?
Topics I have posted in: http://bit.ly/1NbDdr5
My topics: http://bit.ly/1ObnKqQ
All my posts: http://bit.ly/1OHzje7

EimGhey

Sun May 15, 2016 6:58 pm

hello world :-) wrote:
EimGhey wrote:Can it run Doom.. Otherwise it is useless!
IDK, but the Raspberry Pi can run Quake III, if you're into that sort of thing :-)
I rip and tear teh demons!

Kratos

Wed May 18, 2016 3:00 pm

rurwin wrote:Personally, I don't want to see Android on the Pi. I think it would fragment the community. Many of the people in it for the media player functionality would move over to Android and there would be a whole lot less community support for Linux. However I have no more influence than you do.
I think it would be cool to have Android on the pi, but I would still DEFIANTLY want all the other OS's as well. Having Android on the pi would open up thousands of apps. Not really educational, but cool.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 31, 2016 1:19 pm

stderr

Tue May 31, 2016 3:19 pm

Kratos wrote:I think it would be cool to have Android on the pi, but I would still DEFIANTLY want all the other OS's as well. Having Android on the pi would open up thousands of apps. Not really educational, but cool.
If android was on the pi, presumably one could learn to write android applications using the pi, which I have some trouble seeing how isn't educational. The applications might be made to work not only on the pi, but the zillions of android phones out there. So there's even a practical reason for that educational aspect.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 31, 2016 3:23 pm

stderr wrote:
Kratos wrote:I think it would be cool to have Android on the pi, but I would still DEFIANTLY want all the other OS's as well. Having Android on the pi would open up thousands of apps. Not really educational, but cool.
If android was on the pi, presumably one could learn to write android applications using the pi, which I have some trouble seeing how isn't educational. The applications might be made to work not only on the pi, but the zillions of android phones out there. So there's even a practical reason for that educational aspect.
Android 4..x and later are not ARMv6 compatible afaiaa :)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 31, 2016 4:28 pm

stderr wrote:If android was on the pi, presumably one could learn to write android applications using the pi
Once more: you don't write Android applications on an Android device. You cannot write Android applications on an Android device. It is next to imposible to write programs on Android and the few exceptions are not true Android applications as people understand the term and the process is horrible.

Android applications are written on Windows or Linux PCs. They are tested using simulators running on Windows or Linux PCs.

The Raspberry Pi is a perfectly good platform for writing Android applications as it stands now.

The only other thing you probably want is a cheap tablet or phone to test that your application actually works when running in the real world. You can use your own smart-phone for that. I've done it; it doesn't need to be rooted or anything.

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue May 31, 2016 8:42 pm

Well, I was promised my Pine64 board in May... its still May until tomorrow (and you guessed it, no board)!

:geek:
marcus
:ugeek:

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:Well, I was promised my Pine64 board in May... its still May until tomorrow (and you guessed it, no board)!

Ah...I actually got mine a bit over a week ago. It was supposed to ship in February, but I added a couple of items to the package. (On the other hand, the CHIP that is supposed to ship in May...no word yet.)

MarkHaysHarris777

Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:41 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:Well, I was promised my Pine64 board in May... its still May until tomorrow (and you guessed it, no board)!

Ah...I actually got mine a bit over a week ago.
Pine64.jpg
Pine64 on risers / not powered up yet
Pine64.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
Well, when I whine on-line about non-performance, when they perform I gotta notice that too! Yesss, it came in the mails today!

Its looking good, but it hasn't been powered up yet (later tonight); but yeah, I'm excited 'bout it !

Physically I knew that the Pine64 was larger than the Raspberry PI-- but its size is by comparison quite large (about the size of the Gertboard).

It arrived in good condition. Thank you!
marcus
:ugeek:

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:09 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:

Ah...I actually got mine a bit over a week ago.
Pine64.jpg
Well, when I whine on-line about non-performance, when they perform I gotta notice that too! Yesss, it came in the mails today!

Its looking good, but it hasn't been powered up yet (later tonight); but yeah, I'm excited 'bout it !

Physically I knew that the Pine64 was larger than the Raspberry PI-- but its size is by comparison quite large (about the size of the Gertboard).

It arrived in good condition. Thank you!
After working with Pis for 4 years, the PINE64 board looks positively enormous. The Roseapple Pi (where do people find these names?) is noticeably bigger than a Pi, but not nearly the size of the PINE64 board.

Another interesting item...their software releases have separate downloads depending on how large a card you're going to use. They appear to have missed the idea of expanding a file system, manually, by request, or automatically. One wonders if they will get around to a file expansion utility for a live system (one can, of course, always mount the SD card on another Linux system and use gparted to do the job) once they iron out more important issues.

Return to “Off topic discussion”