Ravenous

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:01 pm

hansotten wrote:Just saw an off-topic topic: M$ blabla
I tend to agree, sadly. A bit of humour is OK but calling people names, repeatedly, decade after decade is just being a lightweight in my opinion.

But hey this is the internet, look how clever we all are! :D

abishur

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:18 pm

PeterO wrote:New members whose 2nd post is to an 18 month old zombie thread......

BUT

Members with >5000 posts who then reply...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
PeterO
*Innocent Whistle* :D I confess that I am very guilty of responding to necromancers, but I promise I do it for good reasons! 1) So other people who land on the page during a google search don't follow outdated information 2) To pock fun at the necromancer and 3) usually to lock the thread behind me when I'm done.

But yeah, I'm way guilty of this :lol:
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

PeterO

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Ravenous wrote:
hansotten wrote:Just saw an off-topic topic: M$ blabla
I tend to agree, sadly. A bit of humour is OK but calling people names, repeatedly, decade after decade is just being a lightweight in my opinion.
It shows they continue to be worthy of such a derisory nick name for decade after decade....
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

mikerr

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:28 pm

M$ , Microsloth, Winblows, windoze...
crApple , isheep
$ony,
Ci$co

Google doesn't seem to have one unless you count "fandroids" ?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Ravenous

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:35 pm

mikerr wrote:"fandroids"
:lol: Okay I'll admit I do like a little lowbrow name calling just like everyone...

Like PODestrian for the zombie-like people listening to iPods while half asleep and wandering across the road without looking. (Are iPods made anymore?)

and "Meanderthals" for people walking randomly in the street with their heads down in their phone, crashing into the rest of us.

All in fun :twisted:

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:48 pm

abishur wrote:
PeterO wrote:New members whose 2nd post is to an 18 month old zombie thread......

BUT

Members with >5000 posts who then reply...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
PeterO
*Innocent Whistle* :D I confess that I am very guilty of responding to necromancers, but I promise I do it for good reasons! 1) So other people who land on the page during a google search don't follow outdated information 2) To pock fun at the necromancer and 3) usually to lock the thread behind me when I'm done.

But yeah, I'm way guilty of this :lol:
+1

It comes from reading the latest posts first, sometimes it's not obvious that the newbie has resurrected a necro thread especially when it has just turned over a 25 posts page.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

r3d4

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:01 pm

hansotten wrote: M$, a bit childish is'n it?
Bollocks .
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

rpdom

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:02 pm

drgeoff wrote:
rpdom wrote:So have I. I built it from a kit :)
The Heathkit one?
It wasn't Heathkit. I can't remember which it was. I really must dig it out (I know where it is) and try it sometime.

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 pm

r3d4 wrote:
hansotten wrote: M$, a bit childish is'n it?
[Expletive deleted].
"emm dollar" hasn't ever made sense to me.
At least it wasn't "Microsnot" which is extremely lame.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

rotwang

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:14 pm

My favourite was always "Mucu$oft".

PeterO

Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 am

Inexperienced users who insist there is a problem when they are told by several "Unix old hands" that there is no problem......

We need a "Most of the time I do know what I'm talking about! " smiley :D
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

r3d4

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:55 am

DougieLawson wrote: "emm dollar" hasn't ever made sense to me.
Did you miss
- 'Linux is a cancer'
- 'Halloween_documents'
- United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.
where Microsoft Corporation was accused of becoming a monopoly and engaging in abusive practices .....
:?:

That added them to a list that includes (perhaps even starts with ) 'General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy' [1]

[1] - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy#Conviction.2C_.241_fine

.... The $ may well be an attempt to 'Outline. Thesis: The corporate form of business organization is fundamentally flawed due to the motivation to pursue profit above all else.'
Last edited by r3d4 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-

Chubak

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:14 am

MOD: Entire post deleted. Please keep the language child friendly
I'd rather live a good forty years than a miserable eighty years.

r3d4

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:16 am

PeterO wrote:Inexperienced users who insist there is a problem when they are told by several "Unix old hands" that there is no problem......

Personaly im missing :crazy: aka 'flailing hands' Image
and :w00t: Image

RE : "Most of the time I do know what I'm talking about! "
The closest i can think of is 'i dont usualy ... '
eg Image :lol:
-
-

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:16 am

PeterO wrote:Inexperienced users who insist there is a problem when they are told by several "Unix old hands" that there is no problem......

Definitely +1 for that.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 am

What about :ugeek:

BMS Doug

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:53 pm

but we don't have a dunce hat smiley for those of us who mostly spout bovine derived fertiliser :lol:
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

BMS Doug

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Back on topic:

You SUCK if:
Your only reply to a post is a link to a different post (hint: people are encouraged to create an individual thread for their own problems rather than post a reply in an existing thread). Expanding your reply to include a quote of the relevant info in the thread and something like "you may find this helpful" would be much more informative and helpful.

You can't manage to be polite to the noobs in your first response. Yes its the same question that you've seen 10000 times before but if you can't be polite then maybe its better to just not answer at all?

You are that idiot I work with who thinks I want to hear all the details of a TV program I wasn't interested in watching in the first place, in a monologue that takes you longer to deliver than watching the TV program would have taken me in the first place.
Doug.

PeterO

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:14 pm

BMS Doug wrote:Back on topic:

You SUCK if:
Your only reply to a post is a link to a different post (hint: people are encouraged to create an individual thread for their own problems rather than post a reply in an existing thread). Expanding your reply to include a quote of the relevant info in the thread and something like "you may find this helpful" would be much more informative and helpful.
You are wrong on this one...

Posting just a link to an existing thread with the solution IS "The RIght Thing To Do". You are confusing people who start threads with their own problems with people who start threads when others have had the same problem and the solution has already been posted in a thread.... Asking the same question again is not a substitute for searching for the solution.

DougieLawson

Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:10 pm

BMS Doug wrote: Expanding your reply to include a quote of the relevant info in the thread and something like "you may find this helpful" would be much more informative and helpful.
No harm in posting a link to an old thread saying "This looks the same." or "Take a look at this, is it the same?" if it needs that qualification. Some raw links posted in threads are blindingly obvious that the newbie should have found them without any help. We can all use Google in just the same way that we know the phpBB3 (search.php) search engine is worse than useless. It shouldn't be that hard for newbies to also discover that. There is a good argument for replacing the forum search box with one that farms searches out to Google with a "site:raspberrypi.org" predicate.

We all know how the newbies work. Pi doesn't appear to work for whatever they're doing. Arrive here. Post a new topic. Sit back and wait to be spoon fed the answer. That requires no effort other than registering and replying to the registration email and writing three lines that simply don't describe the problem. Hey, the folks on the forum can bloody work out what the hell the newbie is talking about. (Don't get me started on folks who demand answers and are extremely rude when that doesn't happen.)

We all know how we'd like it to work. Pi doesn't appear to work for whatever they're doing. Search Google. Search the forum. Read the sticky threads. Find the answer. Run away happy. With just a 1% case where it's something nobody has seen before or something that's weird or something that's a real shiny new bug that warrants a new thread.

Posting straight links (or, worse, links obfuscated by bit.ly) to bloody "Let me Google that for you (lmgtfy.com)" is just flaming rude.

BMS Doug

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: Expanding your reply to include a quote of the relevant info in the thread and something like "you may find this helpful" would be much more informative and helpful.
Posting straight links (or, worse, links obfuscated by bit.ly) to bloody "Let me Google that for you (lmgtfy.com)" is just flaming rude.
Yes, exactly, a post consisting solely and entirely of a link with no other text at all. Perhaps asking for a relevant quote is a bit much but a few words to accompany the link wouldn't take that much more time or effort would it?
We can all use Google in just the same way that we know the phpBB3 (search.php) search engine is worse than useless. It shouldn't be that hard for newbies to also discover that.
I think that todays schools need to run classes in how to use a search engine, as it seems the world is full of people who can't. But as you say let me google that for you is a very rude response and should be reserved for the very worst cases.
Doug.

elatllat

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:26 am

BMS Doug wrote:...I think that todays schools need to run classes in how to use a search engine...
Todays schools need to run classes on how all people and things suck,
so noobs don't expect raspberrypi.org to get something simple right (like replacing phpBB3 search with google search).
Then they should have a class on how awesome it is that people and things keep getting better,
just look at all the search options available.
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

rpdom

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:00 am

DougieLawson wrote:We all know how the newbies work. Pi doesn't appear to work for whatever they're doing. Arrive here. Post a new topic. Sit back and wait to be spoon fed the answer. That requires no effort other than registering and replying to the registration email and writing three lines that simply don't describe the problem. Hey, the folks on the forum can bloody work out what the hell the newbie is talking about. (Don't get me started on folks who demand answers and are extremely rude when that doesn't happen.)
*bump*

PeterO

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:36 pm

rpdom wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:We all know how the newbies work. Pi doesn't appear to work for whatever they're doing. Arrive here. Post a new topic. Sit back and wait to be spoon fed the answer. That requires no effort other than registering and replying to the registration email and writing three lines that simply don't describe the problem. Hey, the folks on the forum can bloody work out what the hell the newbie is talking about. (Don't get me started on folks who demand answers and are extremely rude when that doesn't happen.)
*bump*
And again.....

mikerr

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 am

True, but don't forget RPi being what it is we have a large number of users as young as 13 or younger,
and there is a "online help" button on the NOOBS pre-boot screen that launches a browser directly into the forums:

Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Off topic discussion”