BMS Doug

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:24 pm

drgeoff wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:of course the origin of "pls" was in texting, where you have a character limit per text message so kids learnt to use as few characters as possible, so as to convey a longer message for less cost.
Not true. I remember a manager, long before SMS on mobile phones, who passed down all the cr*p that came into his in-tray* with his only action being to scribble "Pls deal" in a top corner.

(* Yes, I do mean in-tray, not email in-box!)
Ok, clearly budget conscious, he was trying to save ink.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

PeterO

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:15 pm

The old perennial.... People who come to a thread late, don't bother to read it all (only 5 posts in this case) and give the same answer as was in the the second post ! :evil: :evil: :evil:
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

abishur

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Ravenous wrote: All we need is RTFM or at a stretch LMGTFY.
Spending an hour trying to find a solution to a problem, finally finding a google hit that matches all your search phrases only to find the only response to the thread is "google is your friend" or "Why don't you just try googling that?"

(Google loops?)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

BMS Doug

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 pm

PeterO wrote:The old perennial.... People who come to a thread late, don't bother to read it all (only 5 posts in this case) and give the same answer as was in the the second post ! :evil: :evil: :evil:
PeterO
And in the third post, and in the 4th post.....

"Help, my pi isn't working!" - could you be slightly more specific and include a few details of your setup?
Doug.

BMS Doug

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm

abishur wrote:Spending an hour trying to find a solution to a problem, finally finding a google hit that matches all your search phrases only to find the only response to the thread is "google is your friend" or "Why don't you just try googling that?
(Google loops?)

I'm sure that their are some issues that the Google hit is just a question with no answer given but I can find answers on google for 90% of the questions that I look up (including a lot that are posted here). Perhaps search engine use should be added to the curriculum in our schools? (Along with a greater emphasis on spelling?)

Edit: I don't know why the quote isn't working. Bbcode not disabled, giving up now.
Last edited by BMS Doug on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Doug.

DougieLawson

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:41 pm

And along with checking the settings (don't disable BBCode) and matching BBcode NOT [quote][/code] tags in forum posts.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

drgeoff

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:24 pm

BMS Doug wrote: I'm sure that their are some issues that the Google hit is just a question with no answer given but I can find answers on google for 90% of the questions that I look up (including a lot that are posted here). Perhaps search engine use should be added to the curriculum in our schools? (Along with a greater emphasis on spelling?)
Oh dear. :)
Glass houses and stones!

DougieLawson

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 pm

BMS Doug wrote: Edit: I don't know why the quote isn't working. Bbcode not disabled, giving up now.
It's because you've got

Code: Select all

[quote=abishur]
not

[quote="abishur"]
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

abishur

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: Edit: I don't know why the quote isn't working. Bbcode not disabled, giving up now.
It's because you've got

[quote=abishur]
not

[quote="abishur"]
Go go gadget Mod powers! (fixed it for ya ;-) )

BMS Doug wrote: I'm sure that their are some issues that the Google hit is just a question with no answer given but I can find answers on google for 90% of the questions that I look up
Oh no doubt. It's just super sucks when you've been searching high and low and think you've finally found an answer only to see some snob (who no doubt knew the answer!) respond with "why don't you try google?"

Every time I want to grab my monitor and yell "I did try google, it led me to this useless answer" and then sit down and sob in the full knowledge that I shant be finding any answers today. :lol:
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

glossywhite

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:45 am

You think Hoovers suck? You ought to try a Dyson!

Yanks might say they "blow"; not only would they be wrong, they'd probably have already gone too far past the punchline to be rescued... (probably).

Back to the thread - I think people with a high self-valuation on the knowledge that was given to them (IE: every bit of it since birth), little humility and who sneer down their noses at people simply looking for help, are the ones who need help exponentially more (and in a much more urgent manner) than the askers of the (usually technical) questions.

"Just saying", as they say in 'muricaaa

BMS Doug

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 pm

glossywhite wrote: Back to the thread - I think people with a high self-valuation on the knowledge that was given to them (IE: every bit of it since birth), little humility and who sneer down their noses at people simply looking for help, are the ones who need help exponentially more (and in a much more urgent manner) than the askers of the (usually technical) questions.
Hmm, is that aimed at me?
high self valuation of Knowledge - check
Little Humility - I don't know, maybe that's me.
Sneer down nose - hopefully not
need help - yup, that's what this thread is for, helping cope with frustrations.

I often post replies to peoples requests for help, when I can figure out what they are asking for, even if my help consists of solutions that I have googled using the information they have provided. (I like the technical challenge involved with trying to understand a new (to me) application). But it can become frustrating to try to figure out their problem if there is insufficient information given in the post.
drgeoff wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: I'm sure that their are some issues that the Google hit is just a question with no answer given but I can find answers on google for 90% of the questions that I look up (including a lot that are posted here). Perhaps search engine use should be added to the curriculum in our schools? (Along with a greater emphasis on spelling?)
Oh dear. :)
Glass houses and stones!
It's my glass house and I'm having a smashing time!
hazards of rewriting a line a few times, before posting.
DougieLawson wrote:
It's because you've got

[quote=abishur]
not

[quote="abishur"]
yup, that would be it. BBCode got disabled somehow (stray hand on tablet screen probably and I kept deleting and re adding the quote lines without realising the problem.
Doug.

Ravenous

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:03 pm

glossywhite wrote:Back to the thread - I think people with a high self-valuation on the knowledge that was given to them (IE: every bit of it since birth), little humility and who sneer down their noses at people simply looking for help, are the ones who need help exponentially more (and in a much more urgent manner) than the askers of the (usually technical) questions.
Comebacks like that suck a bit too.

Jim JKla

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 pm

I am nat adverse to the odd rant.

There is a post in the thread

Model B+ USB not working

Down at the bottom of page 2 where we have some <snip> bemoaning the Raspberry B+ after 1 Days usage and comes to the forum and this was his/her (actually It does sound more of a male) first post. Not only was it vastly off topic I thought first posts here were MODERATED. :x
Last edited by ShiftPlusOne on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please keep it family friendly
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

drgeoff

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Re the Model B not working guy/girl. Yes he/she does come across as having an attitude problem which doesn't engender sympathy even if he did have a valid complaint.

However, it does seem that some vendors are shipping B+ orders with an out of date NOOBS card that does not work. Not just this guy but I contributed to another thread where that was the cause. This really should not be happening.

Jim JKla

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 pm

SNIPPING A VENT THREAD :shock:
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

rahlquist

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Just gotta say I just read the thread on the newest Pi clone on the block and WTH...

"This is one of the problems I see with OSS. "

Ok, seriously? Of the millions of Pi shipped how many have gone to the original goal of education sales?!?!? How many to enthusiasts like myself? One of the biggest draws for enthusiasts to the Pi and Arduino is OSS. I have been a tech geek since the early 80's and I cant tell you the number of SBC that have been on the market in that time but I would imagine its in the 10's of thousands (including clones and knock offs). Not one have I ever wanted to buy to build something with till the Pi came around.

Why did I want the Pi? Because it ran an OS I was familiar with that wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. That was one of the deciding factors. I am willing to bet I am not the only one that considered this better than half the reason to come here.

Any Open initiative is hard on development costs, but that doesn't mean Open is evil, bad etc, it just requires more planning up front. If after exceeding the quoted initial sales goals of 20k you haven't recouped your R&D then probably the business plan needs some shoring up.

I understand there were costs involved, but clones will happen. Especially with something so open, would it have been a better plan to have proprietary hardware and protected IP and then the foundation could deal with hundreds of lawsuits a year?

Maybe I am a bit altruistic but that comment was a bit like kicking sand in the face.

Jessie

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:37 pm

rahlquist wrote:Just gotta say I just read the thread on the newest Pi clone on the block and WTH...

"This is one of the problems I see with OSS. "

Ok, seriously? Of the millions of Pi shipped how many have gone to the original goal of education sales?!?!? How many to enthusiasts like myself? One of the biggest draws for enthusiasts to the Pi and Arduino is OSS. I have been a tech geek since the early 80's and I cant tell you the number of SBC that have been on the market in that time but I would imagine its in the 10's of thousands (including clones and knock offs). Not one have I ever wanted to buy to build something with till the Pi came around.

Why did I want the Pi? Because it ran an OS I was familiar with that wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. That was one of the deciding factors. I am willing to bet I am not the only one that considered this better than half the reason to come here.

Any Open initiative is hard on development costs, but that doesn't mean Open is evil, bad etc, it just requires more planning up front. If after exceeding the quoted initial sales goals of 20k you haven't recouped your R&D then probably the business plan needs some shoring up.

I understand there were costs involved, but clones will happen. Especially with something so open, would it have been a better plan to have proprietary hardware and protected IP and then the foundation could deal with hundreds of lawsuits a year?

Maybe I am a bit altruistic but that comment was a bit like kicking sand in the face.
The problem was more than you think. There was at least one person in that thread who had done nothing but posted about Odroid products. Obviously if all you do about rant about another product you are trying to sell something. May be the thread ended because some people here had spent their own time developing products for the foundation and they were a little sensitive to the subject. However, you can't (even though it was in off-topic) go around under the guise of being a regular forum user and then try and push others products. Its just another form of spam.

When that product starts to ship the topic will come up again I'm sure. All I can say is don't expect to get any level of support for their product here. I don't know what the official stance is going to be, but its hard enough to figure out what people want half the time without adding clone hardware into the mix.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 am

Why do new posters resurrect an old thread rather than starting a new thread with a link to the one they've found (in case it might almost be partially relevant in some distant way)?

Can the moderators not split that carp out to new threads? It's a stupid habit and needs to be discouraged.

Ravenous

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:04 am

Actually I think it's just being timid. I was looking today at the new "Edison" robot (kickstarter) which looks like a copy of the Thymio, and was thinking of adding a mention at the end of the thymio thread...
(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93 ... -inventors and https://aseba.wikidot.com/en:thymio if anyone's interested.)

(Oops I just added something completely off topic, just because I didn't think it warranted a new thread. I really suck!)

drgeoff

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:49 am

DougieLawson wrote:Why do new posters resurrect an old thread rather than starting a new thread..?
I asked the same question at http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 94#p582294 and got one answer in the next post.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 am

But the first post moderators should be able to undo that stuff and break the tagged on post out to a new topic (using PHPBB3's Prosilver theme rather than the exceedingly ugly Raspite theme).

I do suspect that some of the moderators aren't reading or comprehending the posts or the context of the posts before approving them.

drgeoff

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:26 pm

DougieLawson wrote:But the first post moderators should be able to undo that stuff and break the tagged on post out to a new topic (using PHPBB3's Prosilver theme rather than the exceedingly ugly Raspite theme).

I do suspect that some of the moderators aren't reading or comprehending the posts or the context of the posts before approving them.
Are you volunteering? :x

Jim JKla

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:33 pm

I have to add my weight to Dougies argument as soon as a thread gets an off topic addition to a thread we are advised to use the report button an tag the mail as off topic.

The number of times this is a first post never fails draw my attention to the fact that any message about first post moderation is falling by the wayside. ;)

@drgeoff
We can't volunteer the position is by invitation only.
Last edited by Jim JKla on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:38 pm

drgeoff wrote: Are you volunteering? :x
No. Because I already do my fair share of first post moderation on a couple of other forums.

Burngate

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 pm

Isn't this the sucking & venting thread? Shouldn't splitting & moderating be split onto a separate thread?

Return to “Off topic discussion”