Page 28 of 38

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:11 pm
by Ravenous
PeterO wrote:Or calling C/C++ source files "scripts".... :twisted:
Oh blimey that would be the ultimate way to make a C proggie angry, accuse him of being a scripter! :lol:

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:40 pm
by morphy_richards
While we're on the topic when and why did programming become coding?

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:42 pm
by PeterO
morphy_richards wrote:While we're on the topic when and why did programming become coding?
And when did we stop having Systems Analysts ?
PeterO

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:36 pm
by drgeoff
Sandisk's packaging, of SD and micro-SD cards, with a dotted line and scissors symbol. You cut along the line and still cannot get the contents out. :x

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:49 pm
by drgeoff
OPs who title a topic "How to ...." , don't put a question mark at the end and then in the body ask how to do something instead of providing the 'How to' solution you are searching for.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:15 pm
by BMS Doug
drgeoff wrote:OPs who title a topic "How to ...." , don't put a question mark at the end and then in the body ask how to do something instead of providing the 'How to' solution you are searching for.
OPs whose topic title gives no information about what they want to know.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 pm
by Douglas6
Repliers who indiscriminately quote an entire post, including long useless stack traces and data dumps, etc, and including quotes from previous replies that include long stack traces and data dumps, etc., etc. and then tacking on the bottom something like 'Ok.'

It's enough to give my thumb Repetitive Stress Injuries when scrolling down to the 18th or 20th exponentially lengthening post on my phone.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:37 pm
by abishur
BMS Doug wrote:
drgeoff wrote:OPs who title a topic "How to ...." , don't put a question mark at the end and then in the body ask how to do something instead of providing the 'How to' solution you are searching for.
OPs who's topic title gives no information about what they want to know.
OPs who's topic title just says "HELP!" or "It's not working!"

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:13 pm
by FTrevorGowen
abishur wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
drgeoff wrote:OPs who title a topic "How to ...." , don't put a question mark at the end and then in the body ask how to do something instead of providing the 'How to' solution you are searching for.
OPs who's topic title gives no information about what they want to know.
OPs who's topic title just says "HELP!" or "It's not working!"
+1 and "in Spades" if it's also "urgent" ...
Trev.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:59 pm
by RobHenry
abishur wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
OPs who's topic title gives no information about what they want to know.
OPs who's topic title just says "HELP!" or "It's not working!"
whose

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:22 pm
by Jessie
FTrevorGowen wrote:
abishur wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: OPs who's topic title just says "HELP!" or "It's not working!"
+1 and "in Spades" if it's also "urgent" ...
Trev.
Don't forget the excessive exclamation points, and following that the attitude you receive when you inform said person that their issue is in-fact not urgent.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 am
by mimi123
PeterO wrote:There are an increasing number of posts where people use the wrong names for things and no one is challenging them to use the correct words.

E.g. refering to language constructs (like for,if,while) as functions..... :evil:
Or calling C/C++ source files "scripts".... :twisted:

PeterO
C source files are scripts. :mrgreen:

http://bellard.org/tcc

I know that they are not scripts but sharing a finding.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:32 am
by BMS Doug
Jessie wrote: Don't forget the excessive exclamation points, and following that the attitude you receive when you inform said person that their issue is in-fact not urgent.
It gets worse when their actual post is so vague that you struggle to understand exactly what they want to do.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:08 am
by PeterO
mimi123 wrote:
PeterO wrote:There are an increasing number of posts where people use the wrong names for things and no one is challenging them to use the correct words.

E.g. refering to language constructs (like for,if,while) as functions..... :evil:
Or calling C/C++ source files "scripts".... :twisted:

PeterO
C source files are scripts. :mrgreen:

http://bellard.org/tcc

I know that they are not scripts but sharing a finding.
How bizarre !
PeterO

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 pm
by PeterO
People who quote the whole of a previous reply, then start their reply with "No" without actually indicating which part of the quoted post they are disagreeing with !
PeterO

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:41 pm
by BMS Doug
PeterO wrote:People who quote the whole of a previous reply, then start their reply with "No" without actually indicating which part of the quoted post they are disagreeing with !
PeterO
No?

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:48 pm
by PeterO
BMS Doug wrote:
PeterO wrote:People who quote the whole of a previous reply, then start their reply with "No" without actually indicating which part of the quoted post they are disagreeing with !
PeterO
No?
Yes ! Turned out they were actually agreeing with me ! :oops:

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:50 pm
by Ravenous
PeterO wrote:Yes ! Turned out they were actually agreeing with me ! :oops:
You beat me to it. :evil:

Another one is this word "pls". What does that mean? I ask for help but don't have the time to ask nicely? In fact they usually are asking nicely, it just looks "wrong" to an old duffer like me and I have to remind myself :D

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 pm
by drgeoff
Ravenous wrote:....it just looks "wrong" to an old duffer like me .... :D
The whole world looks "wrong" to us old duffers. :lol:

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:21 pm
by BMS Doug
drgeoff wrote:
Ravenous wrote:....it just looks "wrong" to an old duffer like me .... :D
The whole world looks "wrong" to us old duffers. :lol:



Because all vowels are unnecessary, no one could possibly struggle to understand if we just removed them.

Bcs ll vwls r nncssry, n 1 cld pssbly strggl t ndrstnd f w jst rmvd thm.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:23 pm
by Ravenous
Vowels are redundant on techie forums anyway. All we need is RTFM or at a stretch LMGTFY.

(Only kidding, folks!)

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:29 pm
by BMS Doug
of course the origin of "pls" was in texting, where you have a character limit per text message so kids learnt to use as few characters as possible, so as to convey a longer message for less cost.

Perhaps this is just continuing the trend, with mobile broadband charging rates / Gb a shorter message costs (fractionally) less to upload and to download each time they view the thread.
please forgive my foolish whimsy, of course it's just an ingrained habit now, but I do like to invent silly rationalisations for bad behaviour patterns

Edit: RTFM is a good first response to most problems.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:43 pm
by DougieLawson
BMS Doug wrote:Edit: RTFM is a good first response to most problems.
Plus or minus posting a LMGTFY link to the fine manual you'd like the punter to read.

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:43 pm
by PeterO
BMS Doug wrote: Edit: RTFM is a good first response to most problems.
I think LMGTFY is the better first reply, as it help them to find TFM :-)
PeterO

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:52 pm
by drgeoff
BMS Doug wrote:of course the origin of "pls" was in texting, where you have a character limit per text message so kids learnt to use as few characters as possible, so as to convey a longer message for less cost.
Not true. I remember a manager, long before SMS on mobile phones, who passed down all the cr*p that came into his in-tray* with his only action being to scribble "Pls deal" in a top corner.

(* Yes, I do mean in-tray, not email in-box!)