Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Burngate said:

... Concorde did much the same thing, ... the bang was in the middle ...

That was just the Air France Concorde, and sadly, it resulted in major suckiness. 

@  riFFraFF: Nasty.  To be kind, how about simple sequences, eg: o, o, t, t, f ...

If we have to stick to simple sums, how about just not identifying the base?

*manic grin*
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:38 pm

just got 1 thing to say

I HATE MY NEW CELLPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Jongoleur

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:43 pm

ukscone said:

just got 1 thing to say

I HATE MY NEW CELLPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Tut.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:48 pm

it is brain dead. it has about 3 ways to answer a call all of which require playing twister and just don't talk to me about how hard it is to end a call or checking for texts or missed calls. I'm going to go back to 2 tin cans connected by 20 miles of string. It's probably be easier to use.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Is it, by any chance, a Windows phone of some description?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jongoleur

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:58 pm

ukscone said:

it is brain dead. it has about 3 ways to answer a call all of which require playing twister and just don't talk to me about how hard it is to end a call or checking for texts or missed calls. I'm going to go back to 2 tin cans connected by 20 miles of string. It's probably be easier to use.

I was going to mention the tin cans but I thought I'd better not!

Liz:  A "Windows Phone"?  Whatever brought that thought to mind? 

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:59 pm

liz said:

Nope. I don't believe in such new fangled things. This is a Samsung Flight II lack of  feature phone. I almost wish I went with the android phones the better half and sprog went with but I am not that desperate yet.

Jongoleur

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm

ukscone said:

Database Error

Error establishing a database connection
Looks like the forum is under strain again, so to cut'n'paste…

Nope. I don't believe in such new fangled things. This is a Samsung Flight II lack of  feature phone. I almost wish I went with the android phones the better half and sprog went with but I am not that desperate yet.

I googled the poor little blighter and found this heavenly out of context review quote: "The Samsung Flight II isn't a terrible phone, but it's mediocre in so many ways that it looks hideously overpriced"

I must admit it looks pretty, but it sounds like it's citrus fresh!

Edit to tidy up html errors.  Naughty Forum Software!!!!

spamel

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:19 pm

I left my kuksa and stags breath downstairs, which means I have to get out of my warm bed to retrieve said drinking equipment, and that sucks big stylee!

liz

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:25 pm

You Finns.

I really, really want a kuksa. They're just so nice to *hold*.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

spamel

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:37 pm

I"m British though Liz, living in Sheffield. I have carved a few kuksa, one I did out of a birch burl that had lots of nice figuring and patterns in it. It is my other hobby, scratting about the woods like Bear Grylls! I suppose that is the beauty of this forum, lots of people with different hobbies united under one banner. As for a kuksa, you should be able to pick one up easily in the uk. Manchester has some sort of european market each year which sells them, but look at anybushcraft type shop and they will probably sell them. I am not sure if Ronnie Sunshines does them, it may be worth a google.

Either that, or look for a guy called Robin Wood, he is a pole lathe turner that carves spoons, bowls and other drinking vessels and he also made a lot of stuff for the recen robin hood film with russel crowe. Rob even does courses, so if you wanted to learn to carve your own spoons, he would be worth a look.

Burngate

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Another day gone, and still no Launch!

And it looks like it aint gonna snow!

Jongoleur

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:17 pm

I had soup with cheese and a roll for lunch.

Oh LAUNCH….

Yeah, that sucks.  *grin*

As for "no snow", isn't that a "w00t!"?

Edit for typological exactitude....

specsdude
Location: In a small English village, far from the eyes of Mordor

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:19 pm

That's what sucks for me... No Raspberry Pi =(
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!

Andre_P

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:06 am

What sucks is being told by an outside contractor that Metastability is not an issue and thinking he can get away with it in the code being given to us.

When challenged pulling a poor quote from a manufacturer to defend his position for a technology that won't be used.

It's poor because obviously the nature of Metastability is probablistic and different conditions change that probability.

What doesn't suck is that my uber manager backed me up all the way and was as appalled as I was by this.

austincurr

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:49 pm

ukscone said:

liz said:

That's the phone I have- I have no trouble with it... I don't use internet, but all the rest of the stuff works- I admit it's not a smartphone, but there's nothing wrong with it. I got it for $0.97 (with a contract) for Christmas.

Jongoleur

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:28 am

I'm getting my annual cold.

That sucks. 

(Keep upwind of me, and I'd better get some disinfectant wipes for monitor, keyboard and mouse....)

Chromatix

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:59 am

A little while ago, I ordered some SD cards to play with.  A couple of them were out of stock, but no big problem as they could be ordered with about a week's delay.

I also decided to try out the SmartPost system which cheaply delivers goods to a robotic storage system in the nearby megahypermarket, where I do a lot of my shopping anyway.

Early on Friday morning, I noticed that the cards were all in stock again.  At that point, if I had not asked for delivery, I could have travelled across the city (at no cost except in time, due to season ticket) and picked them up myself.

Sometime on Saturday, the retailer sent me a message to say that the order had been fulfilled, giving a postal tracking number and a link to the tracking system of the post office.

As of right now (midday on Monday), the post office does not have the package in their tracking system.  I double-checked - the robot in the megahypermarket does not take a tracking number for unlocking the appropriate compartment.  I therefore assume that it has not been delivered yet - a full weekend after I could have gone to pick it up myself - and that I will receive a different code to unlock the machine when it has.

I therefore conclude that SmartPost sucks.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

nelson

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:10 pm

humanity sucks...

this is a educational product aimed at teaching programming and half the forum is about what touch screen monitor would work with this and the other half is people demanding 4GB ram and quadcore cpu for the same price...

wait to see the disappointment threads everywhere when people notice it can't play crysis and can't install windows and their games on this. just hope the bad press won't sink the project.

well at least the whining for the lack of holes as slowed down recently

TheEponymousBob

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:37 pm

ukscone said:

Quote from Bacan on November 17, 2011, 19:07

Quote from Bacan on November 17, 2011, 18:23
Do you do your Whiskey neat or Over ?

Personally, as a Sailor, missing my Beneteau 310, I enjoy Rum!

I like rum (ok lets admit it i like alcohol of all types) my favourite rum although i haven"t had it in ages is pussers rum.

Pussers is good, though my favourite used to be Woods Navy.  Used to be, in the sense of now feeling too old to deal with 100-proof spirits!  Nowadays Appleton Estate's various tipples are more to my taste.

Edit: Now somewhat perplexed why the forum decided to present me page 4 of the thread rather than the current one.  Apologies for resurrecting a conversation from last November!

Jongoleur

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:20 pm

nelson said:

wait to see the disappointment threads everywhere when people notice it can't play crysis and can't install windows and their games on this. just hope the bad press won't sink the project.

Yes.....

Its amazing what some folk won't understand, especially if their expert friend tells them "its a computer, of course it'll run Windows..."

I'm contemplating leaving the country when the Olympics start.  The retail version of the Pi should be out by then.  Another reason to abscond? 

meltwater

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Jongoleur said:

I'm contemplating leaving the country when the Olympics start.  The retail version of the Pi should be out by then.  Another reason to abscond? 

Is that the 2016 Rio Olympics?

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Burngate

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:39 pm

On the subject of humanity sucking ... I suggest, before launch, there be set up an automatic system on this forum to send all posts - all 10,000 of them - saying "WooHoo! I got mine" to a new thread.

And another thread for those that say "Mine hasn't arrived yet"

Yet another thread for "Why can't I buy two / three / a hundred?" and also one for "How do I load Windows?" and "How do I load MacOs?".

A thread for "Where's the power supply - it wasn't in the box" and also "Where's the SD card?" and maybe "it hasn't got a case!"

A thread for "It hasn't got a power switch - how do I switch it on?"

And for those who got past the power-on problem but not the SD missing problem, "I plugged it in but nothing's happening!"

All but the first thread should be made invisible to ALL with Admin privileges to save their sanity.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:46 pm

austincurr said:

ukscone said:

liz said:

That's the phone I have- I have no trouble with it... I don't use internet, but all the rest of the stuff works- I admit it's not a smartphone, but there's nothing wrong with it. I got it for $0.97 (with a contract) for Christmas.

the phone was my only choice for a free (i refuse to pay for a phone) non-smart phone when the better half renewed our contract. It usable but it doesn't make it easy to get to things like recent calls from the idle screen (i don't like widgets), it has 2 pages of "apps" you can't get rid of and have to scroll passed to get to the settings screen. It's just not as easy and pleasent to use as the LG Neon's we had before until SWNBO decided her's needed a drink of milk and then took mine and then decided that mine was thirsty too and needed a cool drink of pepsi.

meltwater

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Yeah I"m starting to think a few weeks holiday from the forum would be a good idea.

I wonder if they can post mine to a remote cabin by a lake somewhere?

Had a sudden image of Centre Parc's being taken over by RPi hackers…scary.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Return to “Off topic discussion”