Luny

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Quote from crundy on December 6, 2011, 13:35
Speaking of addictions, I went to Amazon the other day to buy some nitrous oxide cannisters to use in my new whipper the lovely wife bought me for an (early) birthday present. I ended up buying these ones, but for fun, have a look under "Frequently Bought Together". Yup, nothing dodgy about that...

Surely it is all innocent. You whip up some cream, spread it on a balloon and then practice shaving with a cutthroat. ;)
Luny

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Quote from crundy on December 6, 2011, 13:35

Speaking of addictions, I went to Amazon the other day to buy some nitrous oxide cannisters to use in my new whipper the lovely wife bought me for an (early) birthday present. I ended up buying these ones, but for fun, have a look under "Frequently Bought Together". Yup, nothing dodgy about that...

Well, it was items on (2/6) and (5/6) that caused a partially raised eyebrow as far as I was concerned. Of course, I'm very broad minded.... 8-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Luny

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Oh yes, I didn't scroll that far. Diablo II is an odd one, that defies all of my imagination!
Luny

Jongoleur

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Quote from Luny on December 6, 2011, 15:05
Oh yes, I didn't scroll that far. Diablo II is an odd one, that defies all of my imagination!

That too... ;)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Quote from ukscone on December 6, 2011, 13:32
Quote from jamesh on December 6, 2011, 13:22
What REALLY sucks is that I got the bike out of the car ready for my 6 mile trip down the Cambridge guided bus cycle path, it's -2degC (probably), the path's covered in frost and I've forgotten my winter gloves - just got the skimpy summer cycling gloves.

Still, by the time I got to work, I couldn't feel my fingers, so that must be OK then.

Got to cycle back later.

Just as a matter of interest. What's the ratio of miles cycled to number of attempts on your life by other road users in that area? I'm about to go up the road on my bike and on the road i'll be on it's between 5 and 13 attempts per mile.

Well, I don't actually go on the road except to cross them since they tarmaced the whole busway cycle path (worth every penny of the £150mill - for the cycleway - never been on the bus). Prior to that I only did about 3 miles on road, and it wasn't too bad. Was usually going faster than the traffic anyway!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Mooncake the Raspberry Pi cat is susceptible to corneal ulcers. She hasn't had one in a couple of years, but somehow, in the ten minutes in-between getting into her crate to go to the vet for her inoculations and getting out again at the surgery, she managed to develop the beginnings of one. (I swear it wasn't there when she got in the box; I check her a few times daily because it's such a nightmare when she gets one.) Worse, she and her brother Raffles go to the cattery (English-English for cat boarding) for a week tomorrow, so someone other than me has to keep an...eye on things and administer eyedrops. This means that not only will I have the stress that comes with Raspberry Pi hanging over my head on my romantic week of chocolates and hot tubs; I will also be worrying myself silly about the status of Mooncake's eyeball. This sucks.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Bacan

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:24 pm

What SUCKs is the $600 USD we spent on "curing" the same condition on a kitten that now owns us.

As I understand it, in our cat it was a form of Herpes virus.

Best wishes to Mooncake.

obarthelemy

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:25 pm

A chocolate hot tub ! A dream come true !
Hugs to the tabby though.

liz

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Yeah - MC is herpes-free; she's had tests up to the…eyeballs to see what might cause it. Turns out she just has a not-spherical eyeball which has a weak spot. It costs, as you say, a bloody fortune, but she's worth it.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:32 pm

that sucks.

Jongoleur

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Pet problems always suck....

I think I'm on the vets Christmas card list this year. :-(

riffraff

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Jack of Hearts, Jack of Spades ... Jack of Asses.

Recent whiners - why cant we have datasheet, why won't it ____, why didn't you ____, it doesn't have ____, when will you include ____, why can't I use a ____ display - all of you fall into that last category. Build a bridge and get over it!

Please remove your collective heads from your posteriors and just look at the damn thing!

We're in Apple I territory here!
This is minimalism at it's best!
ONE frakkin' chip!

A one-chip selection of a particular SoC from a dizzying array of embed designs that contains just the right mix of I/O interfaces to free us from expensive peripherals. You need only a TV, a USB keyboard/mouse, an SD card to boot and some kind of USB thumbdrive or HDD for storage - most of which (unless you've been living under a rock for the last decade, I mean come on people, UBL lived in virtual isolation that long and had about a 1000 thumbdrives) are already lying about the house.

It's supposed to be a simple platform for education. It happens to be a general purpose PC. It doesn't NEED more memory. It doesn't NEED to be a tablet. It doesn't NEED to be a prototyping environment. It doesn't NEED to be an evaluation board for Broadcom products. It doesn't NEED to be your ultimate microcontoller for whatever rolling, spinning, undulating, thrusting or vibrating device you've conceived... and it doesn't NEED to run Microsoft ANYTHING. It's quite content to be what it is and it fills the bill adequately.

Right now it does need is a group of enthusiasts to take a hard look at it, push the envelope with it, and get useful applications and utilities running on it.

The rest of you:
Goto nearest mirror...
Look in mirror...
Purse lips...
Inhale...
Yes that's YOU...
YOU SUCK!!! >(

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:06 pm

This sucks. my left side is seizing and I have put my back out (i'm typing this lying on my back with the laptop suspended on a shopping cart) and I am not allowed to take NSAIDS, Muscle relaxants, anti-inflamitories, NON-NSAID pain killers because of the problems they cause and I am allergic to opioid based painkillers (if it's ever offered to you take the dilaudid, it is da bomb :) ) so basically I have to just lie here in agony and I have a cold too so when i sneeze I can't describe how much it hurts.

It has really mucked up my plans for the week. I was supposed to be tidying the house and starting to get ready for Christmas.

This sucks!!!

riffraff

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:04 pm

@ ukscone
Hmmm. That's too bad about NSAIDS. Worst days after work, I take a "red white and blue" (2 ibuprofen, 2 aspirin, 2 naproxen sodium - yeah, I know my liver's gotta be swiss cheese). I have a lot of problems with spasms and strains, and I take a potassium-calcium-magnesium supplement, lots of water with a dash of orange juice added, strong coffee and a little bit of very dark chocolate.

If your ban on NSAIDS is related to an ulcer, I'm sure the OJ and the 50W coffee are off-limits, but I think a lot of times when we experience all that it's primarily related to electrolyte imbalance and inhibited blood flow, and it only worsens when we're exposed to cold.

Take a hot shower, Bundle up, apply gentle heat to your back. Heat will force capillaries to dilate as your body attempts to dump core temp, blood flow increases, toxins get flushed from your muscle tissues electrolytes and oxygen get where they're needed and white blood cells get mobilized to fight the invader. Hydrate because your body's using a significant chunk of it's available water to make mucus.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 pm

@riffraff the NSAID ban is partially related to ulcers but i had an undiagnosed meckels (sort of second stomach but not really) for 40+ years (they are normally found by age 6 but mine wasn't) so I had major complications and also prone to gastritus, pancretitus and duedunitus(sp?)and also some problems with toxicity when processing the majority of meds. They removed my gall bladder just because they had me open 24 times and thought they might as well remove something while they were up to their elbows in my guts just on G.P. and because of all the ops I have 20+ grands worth of sheep bits and bobs holding me together and in

I am also one of those weird people that most painkillers don't work for until you get up to the oxycodone, percocet levels but then we start hitting my allergies. They can give them to me but they have to pump me full of anti-nausia drugs and anti-histimines (i really must recommend a mixture of dilaudid (or morphine) and regulan (anti-nausia) and benedryl if you end up in an Emergency Room and they give you a choice of which painkiller you'd like :D -- it's almost worth ending up in hospital just to get that mixture :D )

I am currently covered in copious amounts of vicks vaporub, bengay and a green liquid we get from china town that I have no idea what it is but it smells vile but seems to help and a belt of hot water bottles.

I'm drinking gatorade and eating bananas like they are going out of fashion.

basically i am just falling apart. the only thing that could make my day any worse is if my knee decides today is the day it feels like falling out of it's socket again.

I'm off to the shower now that I have taken all the bath toys out of the bath :) don't want to trip over my rubber ducky :)

Today just sucks!!!

riffraff

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Know the feeling. Wife has Chron's. For years she wasn't supposed to take certain NSAID's because she was already taking a delayed release salicylate for her condition. She had surgery for it a while back, along with hysterectomy and in the process discovered she had lymphoma. So that was followed with several months of chemo. Nearly a year later, her immune system is still wonky and every little bug that comes down the pike knocks her on her bum. :|

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:17 pm

@riffraff I hope she is starting to feel a bit better though. I hate the recovery period and 2 years after my last surgery I am still only back to about 75%. It just takes time :(

Jongoleur

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:43 pm

@ukscone:

Sorry to hear about your back, etc, etc.

I bent my leg the wrong way once (don't ask) and it wrecked the knee so it pops painfully out of alignment at inopportune moments; together with a dicky back that occasionally comes out in sympathy, I have a slight understanding of your predicament.

Chin up! (or not :-) )

BBC 4 (one of their DVB channels) has been showing Top of the Pops from 1976 over at least the past 6 months on the correct week, day. time... Certainly a timewarp and a reminder of why the 1976 music scene sucked and why Punk was a necessary corrective!

Just be glad you've not had to watch that!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on December 19, 2011, 20:43

BBC 4 (one of their DVB channels) has been showing Top of the Pops from 1976 over at least the past 6 months on the correct week, day. time... Certainly a timewarp and a reminder of why the 1976 music scene sucked and why Punk was a necessary corrective!

Just be glad you've not had to watch that!

But I have :) the internet is a wonderful thing for inflicting pain on your self :) amazing what you can find if you look hard enough. http://goo.gl/QMET

Think i'll go listen to sue perkins on dilemma on bbc radio 4 listen again (highly recommend that "quiz" show )

Jongoleur

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:16 pm

You *&%$^£"!!!!

A trawl through what used to be Radio 7 before they turned it into an Archers repeat stream is also often rewarding.

jamesh

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:50 am

Quote from riffraff on December 19, 2011, 19:52
Know the feeling. Wife has Chron's. For years she wasn't supposed to take certain NSAID's because she was already taking a delayed release salicylate for her condition. She had surgery for it a while back, along with hysterectomy and in the process discovered she had lymphoma. So that was followed with several months of chemo. Nearly a year later, her immune system is still wonky and every little bug that comes down the pike knocks her on her bum. :|

I have a three monthly checkup for Crohn's this very day. Thankfully, I'm a mild case though, just 5 pills a day and no surgery yet. More people have it than you might expect.

It does suck though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

pupil160

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 am

[Bah-Humbug] I hate royal mail, uncapable of delivering on time. My pi case will not be here in time for xmas [/Bah-Humbug}

Burngate

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 pm

I Hate You All!
I was having a bad morning (I read a post, think it needs a response, by the time I've composed a reasoned, concise, cogent and eloquent one three other people have done the same, either (a) saying what I want to say more concisely, cogently, etc. or (b) saying the exact opposite or (c) diverted the thread to something totally off-topic)
So I come here to moan.
And read all your problems.
Which makes me think my own problems are as nothing in comparison (my wife had Crohn's, turned into cancer, not good)
So I can't even moan here!

riffraff

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:50 pm

@ Burngate
Oh, by all means, moan away. Everyone gets their fair share of woe in their lifetime. It's not a contest. It's the little woes that provide us momentary escape the bigger one's I suppose.

In my wife's circumstance, the lymphoma was an serendipitous discovery as the result of the surgery for her Chron's. However one of her surgeons voiced his suspicions that it was most likely the result of the anti-rheumatoid drug they gave her to stave off the effects of the Chron's until she could have her surgery.

Hmmmmm. It's all too confusing. The more I ponder, the more I get blonder. In the words of Adrian Monk, it's a blessing and a curse.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:52 pm

I think that when you only have icing sugar in the house for your coffee it's a good indication you need to go grocery shopping.

I hate going grocery shopping as SWMBO insists on coming too and she is a terrible shopper and takes hours when minutes would do

Return to “Off topic discussion”