Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:50 pm

rurwin said:

Difficult to say. 7DayShop (thanks for the pointer) do a triple pack that would work out cheaper, but the only single 4GB Sandisk they sell is about the same price.

Play.com charged me £5 each.

I used to use 7DayShop a lot when they did Ilford film (HP5/FP4/PanF in 120 and 35mm) at reasonable prices.  I don't buy as much stuff now, occasional inkjet cartridges and some memory products though they're still competitive for those.

Its a pity the Foundation couldn't sell the Model A through them, it'd be below the VAT threshold, and carriage would be free.....  (jk) 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

pjt

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 pm

rurwin said:

I bought five SD cards from play.com.

There's nothing like consolidating post and packing charges is there.

Yep. That's nothing like consolidating post and packing charges. One single order. One line on the order saying 5 off of Sandisk Ultra 4GB. Five envelopes, five packing notes, five sets of paper spam, five second class postage franks from Jersey, and one royal-mail issue rubber band (not shown).

Method in their madness - five second class probably costs less than one package + they will go through a letter box so no re-delivery costs

Burngate

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Years ago we needed 500 pins for extra-special Sony connectors. They're about 1cm by about 1mm. So we ordered them all as a one-off direct from Sony.

They were out of stock, so back-ordered.

Over the following months we recieved them all - all 500 of them. But the largest quantity in any one packet was 5.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:15 pm

rurwin said:

Difficult to say. 7DayShop (thanks for the pointer) do a triple pack that would work out cheaper, but the only single 4GB Sandisk they sell is about the same price.

Play.com charged me £5 each.

I buy quite a bit of stuff from 7DayShop - rechargeable batteries have very good prices, and bulk packs of non-rechargeables are good too. Plus ink cartridges.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Chromatix

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:57 pm

pjt said:

rurwin said:

Yep. That's nothing like consolidating post and packing charges. One single order. One line on the order saying 5 off of Sandisk Ultra 4GB. Five envelopes, five packing notes, five sets of paper spam, five second class postage franks from Jersey, and one royal-mail issue rubber band (not shown).

Method in their madness - five second class probably costs less than one package + they will go through a letter box so no re-delivery costs

...but all five cards should fit in one of those envelopes, unless the packaging is insane.  Mind you, retail packaging often is quite a lot larger than the product so that it doesn't get lost in the clutter.

Also, is it me or do those look like condom wrappers, until you see the scale cues?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Jongoleur

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:49 pm

Chromatix said:

pjt said:

rurwin said:

...but all five cards should fit in one of those envelopes, unless the packaging is insane.  Mind you, retail packaging often is quite a lot larger than the product so that it doesn't get lost in the clutter.

Also, is it me or do those look like condom wrappers, until you see the scale cues?

No comment, but "play.com" doesn't help either..... 

TheEponymousBob

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:43 pm

rurwin

There"s nothing like consolidating post and packing charges is there.

Yep. That"s nothing like consolidating post and packing charges. One single order. One line on the order saying 5 off of Sandisk Ultra 4GB. Five envelopes, five packing notes, five sets of paper spam, five second class postage franks from Jersey, and one royal-mail issue rubber band (not shown).

A friend once ordered a blister-packed optical mouse. It arrived, encased in packing, in a repurposed box for a 19" CRT monitor.

gritz

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:31 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

rurwin

Yep. That"s nothing like consolidating post and packing charges. One single order. One line on the order saying 5 off of Sandisk Ultra 4GB. Five envelopes, five packing notes, five sets of paper spam, five second class postage franks from Jersey, and one royal-mail issue rubber band (not shown).

A friend once ordered a blister-packed optical mouse. It arrived, encased in packing, in a repurposed box for a 19" CRT monitor.

Gah! I get the feeling that disposing of non-recyclable packaging waste is so expensive that companies just jam all their garbage in the biggest boxes they can find and post it to their customers...

Rek

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:57 am

TheEponymousBob said:

rurwin

Gah! I get the feeling that disposing of non-recyclable packaging waste is so expensive that companies just jam all their garbage in the biggest boxes they can find and post it to their customers...

Three wonderful words: Business Reply Mail
That fantastic envelope to respond to postal garbage in. Simply fold up all the crap and send it back to them at their own expense.
6 + 11 = 10001

riffraff

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 am

COME ON SHEEPLE!!!! SOMETHING'S GOTTA *SUCK* TODAY!!!!

Wake up and get busy! Gotta keep this thread at the top of forum!

We're the malcontents!  We're the mutants!  We're the unwashed and underappreciated!

SPEAK your MIND!!!

Skygod

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 am

I went to the local 7/11 to get a top up for my mobile phone. I asked for 100 baht and was told "no have". "Okay do you have 50 Baht?" "Yes, we have many". "Good, I will have two at 50 Baht" "Yes sir"

This happens all the time.

Jongoleur

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:46 am

riFFraFF said:

COME ON SHEEPLE!!!! SOMETHING'S GOTTA *SUCK* TODAY!!!!

Wake up and get busy! Gotta keep this thread at the top of forum!

We're the malcontents!  We're the mutants!  We're the unwashed and underappreciated!

SPEAK your MIND!!!

Well, if you're unwashed you'll certainly be unappreciated!

But I feel your pain, too many of the old familiar posts have been lost under a tide of general whinging and facile posts on non-pi subjects

What we need is a forum for Classic posts, but first we need a list of which to transfer.  Let me start the ball rolling.  I nominate "YOU SUCK" and "500 Members!" for initial inclusion.

Chromatix

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 am

For a few days, the trackpad on my MBP had been getting less reliable.  For several weeks previously, so had the keyboard.  I thought I would have to take it apart and clean it.

Yesterday morning I realised what was *really* causing it.  The battery was bloating!  O_O

Fortunately this is one of the older models with removable battery, and after releasing it, the keyboard and trackpad have gone back to normal.

What SUCKS is that it cost €140 for a new battery.  (As a 17" model, the battery is huge.)
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Luny

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 am

It sucks. I just can't find any inspiration at the moment. I found myself wandering around the house with my hands in my pockets trying to think of something to do.

I tried sitting at my PC... I loaded Gimp and started some graphics for an android app. Got bored after 1/2 an hour, I'll never finish it. Maybe some Python? but what to do? Something retro, hmm good idea, but what?

I think the problem lies in not having anyone to bounce off from. I'm over forty with a family, so my number of mates is limited. None of them are really interested in coding. It sucks.. Actually its quite sad.
Luny

scep

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 pm

This week:

Main PC's PSU died (capacitor blew)

Netplug died (capacitor blew)

Bad caps suck!

Burngate

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:25 pm

RiscPC power supply broke, had to buy a new one. What sucks is I had three RiscPCs, gave two away cos I wasn't using them, if I still had 'em I'd have had two spare PSUs.

riffraff

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 am

Luny said:

It sucks. I just can't find any inspiration at the moment. I found myself wandering around the house with my hands in my pockets trying to think of something to do.

I tried sitting at my PC... I loaded Gimp and started some graphics for an android app. Got bored after 1/2 an hour, I'll never finish it. Maybe some Python? but what to do? Something retro, hmm good idea, but what?

I think the problem lies in not having anyone to bounce off from. I'm over forty with a family, so my number of mates is limited. None of them are really interested in coding. It sucks.. Actually its quite sad.

I FEEL your PAIN. Last really interesting thing I found to do was when the "Cue-Cat" barcode scanners came out. I sat down one evening to figure out how they worked and wrote some code so we could use it as a regular UPC scanner at work.

Don't beat yourself up, though, this is a common thing and has less to do with your personal environment than the PC industry as a whole. All of the mountains have been climbed, all of the problems solved... it's a mature industry. I'm hoping R-Pi and ARM movement may alleviate this. New platform. New needs. New frontiers. =)

Skygod

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:26 am

So no more discussions on what may be in the final release board. No revelations on what is being accomplished with the first release. (Lots of Chinese guys sitting at tables with soldering irons). No ideas on when anything is really going to happen.

I'm just BORED and judging by the content getting posted on the board, so are a lot of other people.

Phil Spiegel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 am

I'm trying to 'catch up' on the other electronics projects around - as the Rpi is plannned to be providing the inter-connecting link between them - when more become available.

I'm waiting on the OS download as this is changing frequently - a ready-done card form the Foundation with other Pi items form the shop proabbaly being my preference.

For my 'Mini-Pi' I've got my ex'PC'radio case, and Power Supply, Micro USB keyboard on the way, and several 4" LCD video monitors or Parrot-hackable displays to try.

And now a potential choice in GPI interfacing...  a positive outlook!

riffraff

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:23 am

@ Skygod

Is this BORED enough for you?

From dictionary.com:

suck
verb (used with object)
1.to draw into the mouth by producing a partial vacuum by action of the lips and tongue: to suck lemonade through a straw.
2.to draw (water, moisture, air, etc.) by or as if by suction: Plants suck moisture from the earth. The pump sucked water from the basement.
3.to apply the lips or mouth to and draw upon by producing a partial vacuum, especially for extracting fluid contents: to suck an orange.
4.to put into the mouth and draw upon: to suck one's thumb.
5.to take into the mouth and dissolve by the action of the tongue, saliva, etc.: to suck a piece of candy.
6.to render or bring to a specified condition by or as if by sucking.

verb (used without object)
7.to draw something in by producing a partial vacuum in the mouth, especially to draw milk from the breast.
8.to draw or be drawn by or as if by suction.
9.(of a pump) to draw air instead of water, as when the water is low or a valve is defective.
10.Slang . to behave in a fawning manner (usually followed by around ).
11.Slang . to be repellent or disgusting: Poverty sucks.

From "The Penguins of Madagascar: Popcorn Panic (#1.12)" (2009)

Skipper: Failure is not an option.
King Julien: Which is fine by me, because I do not intend to fail. I vow to do the opposite of fail.
Marlene: You mean succeed?
King Julien: No, I will not suck seed. No one will be sucking seed.

Love PoM. It's like "Rat Patrol", but furrier… or feathery-er… or something.

Rek

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:30 am

In my wonderful and fun filled role as a migrant/gypsy/contract IT worker-whore I just started a 12 month gig in a SECURE GOVERNMENT FACILITY. Complete with X-Ray machines, man-traps, and large serious people with guns at the doors. When my RPi arrives I"ve been planning on just shoving it in an empty cigarette pack. To avoid ridiculous taxes on my cigarettes I have an arrangement with a friend from university who happens to be from the Ukraine. Evidently it"s prestigious to keep a bottle of "American" Jack Daniels complete with proper English language labels and American tax stamps in your desk there as it implies you travel often blah, blah, blah. So I send him bourbon and he sends me smokes and we both save a bunch of money. We justify these as birthday presents, Christmas presents, May day/4th of July presents, it"s Tuesday and I need a fix presents, etc. So when I bring my odd little piece of electronics stuffed into a box covered in Cyrillic lettering into work to show off to the rest of the geeks what do you think is going to happen? I"ll bet getting shot is going to really suck.
3 + 2 = 101

Mattylad

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:04 pm

I was going to say what sucked but as soon as I hit the reply button I had forgotten what I was going to say.

So I guess my memory sucks.

croston

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Trolls suck, as do people that keep feeding them.

SN

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:59 am

Ban incoming.....
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

gritz

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 am

Hey Prodigit, are you perchance the pilot who went nuts on the way to Vegas a couple of days ago? Just wondering...

Yeah, I hate fanboys too, but I don't think the moderation here is heavy handed.

Return to “Off topic discussion”