Chromatix

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:54 pm

One arm of my glasses has broken off.  Also now realise it's been several years since my last eye test, taken just before moving out of England.

Therefore I need to visit the optician, who will probably require an appointment and then charge an arm and a leg.  This sucks.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:32 pm

The mouse is either super-smart, so timid it won't go inside the traps, or doesn't like Nutella.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kme

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:39 pm

In a household with two feline and one female I know where I'd bet.

obarthelemy

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:03 pm

About cheeky mice... A few years back, me & better half saw one in the appartment. Cue the militarized response, traps, poison, glue... no luck. This was becoming a bother. One very late saturday night after a fair bit too much drinking/eating/talking, time to crash, only to be woken up by that idiot playing at being a mice in bed. Not fun ! I'm tired and not in the mood.

A bit less tired and more in the mood in the morning... "Honey, your mouse imitation tonight was lousy and not a propos...  vengeance will be served very cold !"

Major freak out at the breakfast table. Turns out... the real mouse had climbed into bed with us and was trekking on top of the covers.

Thankfully, it was not on a mission to avenge the one that had gotten in my riding boots back hen I was a teen, and that I squeeshed inside the boot with my socked foot. Yuck.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 pm

liz said:

The mouse is either super-smart, so timid it won't go inside the traps, or doesn't like Nutella.

noone likes nutella

try peanut butter or some toast points and cavier

max1zzz

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm

ukscone said:

liz said:

The mouse is either super-smart, so timid it won"t go inside the traps, or doesn"t like Nutella.

noone likes nutella

try peanut butter or some toast points and cavier

peanut butter works like a treat, mice can't keep away

it seems that mice hate cheese tho….

SeanD

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:23 pm

obarthelemy said:

Thankfully, it was not on a mission to avenge the one that had gotten in my riding boots back hen I was a teen, and that I squeeshed inside the boot with my socked foot. Yuck.

One of the reasons I bought one of those boot racks that lets you hang boots upside down on the wall.  I have two pairs of boots, some everyday rubbery ones and some nice half rubber half leather ones for special occasions that only tend to get used in the winter, so had not been used all summer long.  They also take a bit of getting on an when on even though one of them feels a bit uncomfortable they are not coming off.

At the end of a day's riding when eventually did off, there was one very desiccated mouse welded to my sock.  Must have climbed/fallen in from the boots on top and never got out.

Strange things is having lived in warm climates I always shake shoes and boots out.  Dead mice it would appear stick to boot linings.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Another thing about cats that sucks is their habit of using untenanted shoes as ad-hoc toilets.  I'm told it is a very disconcerting thing to insert a bare foot into an unexpectedly squishy shoe in the middle of the night.

To an outsider, the words that the recipients of this largesse use when they discover what has happened are terrifying, and tend to ruin the nights sleep.

I think I'll leave it at that.

2+2 ??????
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

gimliflea

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 pm

If the mouse is still evading capture try a spot of vanilla essence on the bait.

rpt

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:06 am

i really hate posters that never use capital letters.

BUT IT'S NOT AS BAD AS ONLY USING CAPITALS.

spamel

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 am

INCOMING WAR STORY:

When I was down in the Falklands, double decker bars were the bait of choice for little nippers. Incredibly sticky and obviously very more-ish! It took us weeks to get rid of the mice in the hangars, that had had six months from the previous tenants leaving scraps about so they thrived. I remember once setting the traps, locking the door to go home (ie. to the Squadron bar!) for the night and hearing one of them spring.  My friend Charlie looked at me, laughed and said "you didn't set your trap right, you nugget" to which I blamed his trap  for not being set, properly and back and forth as we unlocked the door.  Obviously, the trap had sprung, but it was sprung by the still twitching squeaker in the trap!

scep

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:08 am

meltwater said:

Only ever seen 1 hare in the wild, at least I know now who to blame.  I didn't think there were any significant numbers of them any-more.

Nah - I bought two young 'uns from the market last weeked and the guy had loads

Jugged hare. Yum.

liz

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Not a particular fan of hare; it's so lean that you need a whole pig's worth of bacon to get the mouthfeel right.

I caught the mouse! (And I am not cooking it.) The humane trap worked a treat, and in order not to violate Scep's rule about vermin, I released it behind the garden shed of a neighbour on the other side of the village who got pissed and called me a posh bint in the pub in 2010. Beware the lasting wrath and simmering resentment (and mice) of Liz.

Chromatix

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Helsinki has enough "green spaces" that both hares and rabbits are reasonably common within municipal limits.  Quite seriously, looking towards the city centre from "Jätemäki" (a spoil tip turned into a viewpoint on the edge of the city), you almost can't see the city itself for all the trees.  Occasionally a cull of the "citykana" (rabbits) proves necessary.

Meanwhile, a €20 wireless router point-blank refuses to act as a wireless client bridge for my existing network.  This sucks.  Now going out to buy a dumb switch and a long cable.  Must remember to find a viable way of attaching said cable to the ceiling.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:49 pm

liz said:

I released it behind the garden shed of a neighbour on the other side of the village who got pissed and called me a posh bint in the pub in 2010. Beware the lasting wrath and simmering resentment (and mice) of Liz.

could have been worse. he could have called you sandi.

Bizzo

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 pm

You know what sucks for me right now? Got back to work after a week off sick, and someone has kidnapped Peppy the Penguin from the top of my monitor! It's a Moshi Monster (Moshling), she's gone! Stolen! Kidnapped! Absconded! Lost forever!

I hope she can be found.

http://www.twitpic.com/8eqn5h

But seriously though? Taking something like that off my monitor? It's almost laughable.

TheEponymousBob

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Chromatix said:

Meanwhile, a €20 wireless router point-blank refuses to act as a wireless client bridge for my existing network.  This sucks.  Now going out to buy a dumb switch and a long cable.  Must remember to find a viable way of attaching said cable to the ceiling.

I got an Edimax WAP (though I'm sure it was cheaper when I bought it) that I was able to set up in client AP mode; one problem I had was that my existing router was doing AES WPA, and the Edimax only seems to support TKIP for WPA, or AES for WPA2.  I have no idea what any of the above actually means, mind you - but switching my router to use TKIP WPA, and all my other devices to match got the bridge working fine.

Just mentioning it on the off-chance that you're experiencing the same problem.

liz

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:37 pm

ukscone said:

liz said:

I released it behind the garden shed of a neighbour on the other side of the village who got pissed and called me a posh bint in the pub in 2010. Beware the lasting wrath and simmering resentment (and mice) of Liz.

could have been worse. he could have called you sandi.

You'd better look carefully at the next bag of Twiglets I buy you, Scone, because one of them won't be a Twiglet.

scep

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:56 pm

liz said:

You'd better look carefully at the next bag of Twiglets I buy you, Scone, because one of them won't be a Twiglet.

This weirdly reminds me of when my brother shrinky-dinked sheets of his sun-peeled skin in the oven until they resembled cornflakes and then put them in the cornflake box of a housemate who'd annoyed him. I still don't know why he was shrinking his skin in the oven, but I laughed until I cried that day.

Jongoleur

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:12 am

Out of the fryingpan and all that...

I recently replaced a dying keyboard.  However, I've replaced it with a "Microsoft" Keyboard 600.  This has squishy, low-profile laptop style keys and sucks big style.

The real peeve is that the keys on the spacebar row seem taller than the qwerty rows and feel like they're getting in the way. Its like typing over a wall...

BuggerBuggerBugger!!!

liz

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Keyboard problems: I spilled a cup of coffee into my reconditioned IBM model M last year. The model M is supposed to be tolerant of being put through the dishwasher, but it's never worked since, despite careful attention with a hair-dryer and lots of cursing.

I loved that keyboard.

roelfrenkema

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:09 pm

liz said:

Keyboard problems: I spilled a cup of coffee into my reconditioned IBM model M last year. The model M is supposed to be tolerant of being put through the dishwasher, but it's never worked since, despite careful attention with a hair-dryer and lots of cursing.

I loved that keyboard.

Can you elaborate on the curses, are you qualified to cast a curse. Did you try a cauldron instead of a dishwasher?

If the above makes no sense to you what version of curses did you use?

Jongoleur

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:40 pm

roelfrenkema said:

liz said:

I loved that keyboard.

Can you elaborate on the curses, are you qualified to cast a curse. Did you try a cauldron instead of a dishwasher?

If the above makes no sense to you what version of curses did you use?

It'd have to be ncurses - wash'n'repeat.......  

spamel

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:55 pm

What is it with the model M keyboards? Why are they so revered?

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 pm

spamel said:

What is it with the model M keyboards? Why are they so revered?

because they were great and had the added bonus that they could be used as a murder weapon if people ask stupid questions (although some older keyboards are better for use as an offensive weapon the M still has that nice blunt object feel)

Return to “Off topic discussion”