abishur

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Aw youth. Fortunately I was a big proponent of helmets in my youth or else I would have died while crossing in a cross walk in broad daylight when someone ran the red light to make a right turn. I have photos of the bike wheel still it's all warped.

Safety equipment may look silly but instead of being a vegetable like my cousin who wasn't wearing safety equipment when he had his bike accident, I only spent 6 weeks on crutches and got a nice scar on my leg where it got pinned between the car and my bicycle.

As for you sucks, I already got my venting out and I am again in a zen state :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

MmmPi

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Quote from piglet on November 10, 2011, 16:38
So who's going to tell me how to mount a raspi on the handlbars with that nice little camera module were were taunted with some months back, wirelessly connected to the internet giving me real-time images of the rider *actually wearing* the reflective gear?

How about just a camera pointed down the street. Use linux Motion & a bit of code to only record the time of day you care about. Perhaps a door sensor or pir motion detector to really narrow down when she comes home.
No reflective gear when she rides up? Grounded.

Until RasPi comes out I've got dockstars (sheevaplug) running motion with usb webcams.

OnTopic: Its going to Suck trying to sell off 4 dockstars on ebay when the RasPi comes around.

obarthelemy

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:22 pm

My "It sucks" of the week is finding out that my teenaged daughter thinks it's so uncool to wear her reflective cycling gear to cycle home from school in the dark that she wasn't wearing it, and lied to me when caught.
Buy her a Lady Gaga Cycling outfit ? I'm guessing those are quite shiny. In my day and age, there was that canadian singer...

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Quote from piglet on November 10, 2011, 16:38
So who's going to tell me how to mount a raspi on the handlbars with that nice little camera module were were taunted with some months back, wirelessly connected to the internet giving me real-time images of the rider *actually wearing* the reflective gear?

go low tech and just superglue reflectors to her.

abishur

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on November 10, 2011, 18:22
Buy her a Lady Gaga Cycling outfit ? I'm guessing those are quite shiny. In my day and age, there was that canadian singer...

I dunno, a dress made from meat doesn't sound that reflective to me, and bicyclists get chased enough by dogs as it is!

Lakes

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:39 am

Quote from Montekuri on November 10, 2011, 15:36
I suck Raszleberry juice :)
The Phantom Raszleberry blower of Old London Town! :D

WizardOfOZ

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:12 am

Just realized yet another community surrounding a favorite internet watering hole has died. :(

Reason appear to be one of the usual stories as well: Overly clever dude discover thriving internet community of creative individuals, and decides to monetize the effort of others for personal fame and fortune. The actual content creators in turn stops posting their ideas and creations, as people generally loathe to be exploited. End result: Community dies as people goes elsewhere/fades back into the woodwork.

That, ladies and gentlemen, evacuates sewer rats through garden hoses...

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Quote from WizardOfOZ on November 14, 2011, 11:12
Just realized yet another community surrounding a favorite internet watering hole has died....

I've experienced that with three different sites in rapid succession (I won't mention names). Folk were driven off by (in this case) a small group of trolls who delighted in setting the community in question by the ears As the refugees settled in another place, the trolls would reappear. Eventually the community disintegrated.

Its human nature. At least the bastards aren't pulling wings off flies or torturing small mammals.

(At least Blofeld was nice to his cat...)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Burngate

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi I'm back ("Oh g*d him again")
I went to Halfords, bought a BMX bike. Now I'm asking for a "How to" manual. The guy in the shop says "You don't need the details, just use it like it is"
So I say "I need to know where to put my hands and how to use the pedals, and how to change gear to make using it easier"
He says "How the gears work is hidden. And the wheels are the size they are. If you want to change them for two-inch ones and make it into a skate board you've bought the wrong thing"
But I don't want to do that, I want to find out how to balance it on the back wheel and use it like a unicycle. I want to know where I can fit a tow bar so I can tow my canoe down to the sea.
Then he says I should put roof bars on the car and put the canoe on that. But I've already done that, I want to use the bike.
Then I suggest it might be nice to add extenders to the pedals and the handlebars so my pet monkey (who has short legs and arms) can use it. And it might be usefull to know how to change gear - not how the gears work, just what to do to tell it which gear to be in.
"You aren't allowed to know how it works, just use it like it is". But that's what I want to Know! Not how it works, just how to make it do what I want it to do. Where's the gear-change lever, and how should my rhesus monkey wiggle it?
Ok I'm gone now

obarthelemy

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Tough day at work ?

abishur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Or extend metaphor for documentation desires?

Thunder__X

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Getting sick sucks!

abishur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 pm

A company using their own flavor of VBA sucks! Every time I think I got it fixed, it turns out that they handle that method a little differently than the official VBA code would!

Bacan

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Quote from abishur on November 16, 2011, 21:27
Or extend metaphor for documentation desires?

We are in Sync. I had the same thought while reading his post, not just Docs, also what people want from a tiny little inexpensive PCB.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Quote from Burngate on November 16, 2011, 17:45
Hi I'm back ("Oh g*d him again")
I went to Halfords, bought a BMX bike. ...

"I went to Halfords": Well, there's your problem!

(and we're not allowed to say "Oh g*d him again" about ANYONE!)

Have a nice diurnal anomaly. :-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Galaak

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi,

you know what sucks, a call from your bank with the guy asking you to identify yourself first by answering questions like date of birth and secret code. And it sucks even more when you hear it is a good protocol because nobody else complain about it.

Burngate

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Your bank asks for your mother's maiden name. Now that's really secret. No-one could look you up in the BMD database and find that out.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Linkedin + Facebook + the Electoral Register = answers to *every single fatuous security question out there*.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jason

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 pm

For me, getting back to the UK from our Honeymoon (cut short as I took a Booking to DJ a Wedding), then back in the office Monday.
It was over too quick, now wishing I didn't take that gig and we had 2 weeks out there....

Now, coding low level I2C Drivers. In a Lab with no external windows :-(

Beers tonight methinks!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Quote from Burngate on November 17, 2011, 12:14
Your bank asks for your mother's maiden name. Now that's really secret. No-one could look you up in the BMD database and find that out.

That's why I lie about my mother's maiden name (you never knew i was the Queen's illegitimate son did you?) and i even give them a misspelling of it too.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Quote from liz on November 17, 2011, 12:20
Linkedin + Facebook + the Electoral Register = answers to *every single fatuous security question out there*.

Add twitter and foursquare to the mix and you've booked your next burgulary er burgelary er berglary er robbery :)

Bacan

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:36 pm

UK: You know by know we in the USofA don't have anyone stealing from us.
Except for the IRS, Corporations and Members of Congress.

Now! Hand over that Scone, you will not be hurt. ;-)

( Smilie face icon made with semi-colon, hyphen, and close paren )

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Quote from Bacan on November 17, 2011, 16:36

Now! Hand over that Scone, you will not be hurt. ;-)

You are not allowed to have a scone until you have answered these two questions correctly.

1. How do you pronounce the word scone?
2. What is the correct order to put the jam and cream on a scone?

Josh

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Maybe we could we have an Adult-Only Swim time on the forum then?

*ahem*... you're forgetting some people on the forum are actually under 18... including me.

I'm just waiting for the unintelligent half asking idiotic questions like "how do i gets windowz on dis?" or "why 256mb that f???ing sucks..." or "wtf is linix, how do i use it?".

liz

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Those questions are being asked very regularly in the comments under the blog posts and especially under the FAQ. It's only going to get worse after December, too...
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “Off topic discussion”