DougieLawson

Re: Is a new Raspberry Pi model coming?

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:04 pm

solar3000 wrote:Sources tell me with 100% certainty that a new faster Raspberry Pi board is coming out in the future.
That's very bold. There are no certainties apart from death and taxes. Until the RPF makes an announcement suggesting there might be any new RPi 2A, 3B or 3A or compute module 2 or something new entirely (that we haven't dreamt of) is pure speculation.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Woll wrote:
fruit-uk wrote:
hippy wrote:My guess is MagPi is going to be running a "build this" series with included parts over the next few months. As to what "this" will be I have no idea. Or perhaps a set of vouchers, collect the lot and get a free Pi.
Build your own Pi3 - 1 bit free in this issue ;)
Or a Pi powered laptop. It's got an advert about issue 40 being a stocking filler.

It must be something interesting because the Forum Moderators are looking at the thread.

Maybe it's something Retro going back to bedroom coding as most of the Raspberry Pi engineers would have cut their teeth on a ZX81 or Spectrum. I know, it's a build your own Cassette Recorder. :lol:
We look at all threads! But, interesting, yes, seems likely.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Woll

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:29 pm

So issuse 40 is advertising stocking fillers, it must be a range of new merchandise.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

JarJarGeek

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Ohhh my meeeee , can't believe the anger and bile served up here - why do people take this to heart ???? Goodness me - having had the privilege of working with Richard on quite a few Raspberry Jams I'd say the reactions are totally OTT !!! Can we not have a bit of fun in amongst slogging behind the keyboards whilst trying to make sense of strings of indecipherable lines of code ?? (Speaking as a n00b programmer here) :cry:
@jarjargeek

syntax-err0r.com

solar3000

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:29 am

DougieLawson wrote:
solar3000 wrote:Sources tell me with 100% certainty that a new faster Raspberry Pi board is coming out in the future.
That's very bold. There are no certainties apart from death and taxes. Until the RPF makes an announcement suggesting there might be any new RPi 2A, 3B or 3A or compute module 2 or something new entirely (that we haven't dreamt of) is pure speculation.

Yes, I know, it's bold. The Oracle tells me this information and the gods are on my side.
Antikythera

Douglas6

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:23 am

'The future' covers a lot of time.

AndyD

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:11 am

ukscone wrote:I wonder if it's a new Pi that can be fitted nasally?
Perhaps you should ask @6by9

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:43 am

Woll wrote: It must be something interesting because the Forum Moderators are looking at the thread.
I'm always amazed when I encounter this attitude, Moderators are just people, they share our interest in the subject (or they wouldn't be interested in moderating it) of course they read the threads.

Another one that amuses me (and I'm not claiming that Woll has said this) is "Don't argue with the moderators".
Huh? the moderators must be respected when making official moderator decisions but when posting their opinion in a post of course we can (and should, where our opinions differ) disagree with them, they don't want to "win" every thread, except in that discussion makes a thread interesting and therefore we all win when we learn something new.
All discussions should be kept polite, because people can't always manage this we need moderators to calm things down, a job that the moderators here do very well. (and to delete spam and ban spambots of course).

Back to topic:
I doubt it's new hardware, the top of the Magpi says: "Free Raspberry..." before the rest is obstructed, this suggests to me that the surprise is one of:
  • software (free to distribute)
  • something cheap enough that it can be distributed with the dead tree format Magpi (may cost more than the magazine but probably not by much)
  • Educational giveaway (an announcement of something being distributed to schools or code clubs)
I'm most expecting the 3rd option, it's the foundations purpose.
Last edited by BMS Doug on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

hippy

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:26 am

BMS Doug wrote:the top of the Magpi says: "Free Raspberry..." before the rest is obstructed
Noting the colouring; could it simply be that the printed MagPi is going to become free ?

jamesh

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 am

I love this thread.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

ame

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 am

hippy wrote: Noting the colouring; could it simply be that the printed MagPi is going to become free ?
Remarkable bird, the MagPi. Beautiful plumage.

mikerr

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:43 am

The tea bag burst in my morning cuppa - the tea leaves predicted the surprise is... ANDROID ! :mrgreen:
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

robthez
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:59 am

hippy wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:the top of the Magpi says: "Free Raspberry..." before the rest is obstructed
Noting the colouring; could it simply be that the printed MagPi is going to become free ?
*moderator and Features Editor of The MagPi descends*

We're already free

*returns to clouds*

EDIT: Oh you said printed, well aren't I silly fool. You'll have to wait and see!

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:06 am

robthez wrote:
hippy wrote: Noting the colouring; could it simply be that the printed MagPi is going to become free ?
*moderator and Features Editor of The MagPi descends*

We're already free

*returns to clouds*
hippy did specify "the printed" MagPi, he was aware that the PDF format is free.

Build a ..... by installments?
perhaps CamJam kit components?
Doug.

gordon77

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11 am

Maybe they are giving away a Pi2B in parts each month, for self build ;)

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 am

gordon77 wrote:Maybe they are giving away a Pi2B in parts each month, for self build ;)
:lol:

It would certainly make things easier for people who don't want x component.

I think the issue that had the BCM2836 would be sold out to some suspicious looking gentlemen wearing wide brimmed hats with trench-coats.
Doug.

DougieLawson

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:57 am

BMS Doug wrote: I think the issue that had the BCM2836 would be sold out to some suspicious looking gentlemen wearing wide brimmed hats with trench-coats.
You've been watching too many episodes of Mr. Robot and now you're thinking like the staff of Evil Corp.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hansotten

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Ben Nutall just tweeted

So what does everyone think @Raspberry_Pi will be giving away free with tomorrow's @TheMagP1 magazine? Any guesses?

Not a new Pi then?
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:14 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: I think the issue that had the BCM2836 would be sold out to some suspicious looking gentlemen wearing wide brimmed hats with trench-coats.
You've been watching too many episodes of Mr. Robot and now you're thinking like the staff of Evil Corp.
I've not watched Mr Robot yet, but I have played too much Cyberpunk and Shadowrun.

If real life doesn't accurately emulate my RPG experience then its because the real Evil corporations lack ambition.
Doug.

Wattie

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:23 pm

Rhetorical question: Why do all other "what I would like to see" threads get clamped, and this one is having petrol poured on it from the top down?

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:27 pm

Wattie wrote:Rhetorical question: Why do all other "what I would like to see" threads get clamped, and this one is having petrol poured on it from the top down?
To rebut your statement: One is making demands upon the foundation where another is speculating on an immediately upcoming event (and yes, quite effectively Publicising it), the two are not the same. This is not a "what I would like to see" thread.
Doug.

jamesh

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:35 pm

More of a "What are we going to see tomorrow" type of event.

Whatever it is, I am sure everyone will be happy/surprised/shocked/nonchalant/ecstatic.

Not sure anyone will be saying "I told you so"

/Petrol off

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Wattie wrote:Rhetorical question: Why do all other "what I would like to see" threads get clamped, and this one is having petrol poured on it from the top down?
Because work is sometimes allowed to be fun! :D (And because tomorrow)

**Gets out fuel can**
**Pours petrol**
**Stands back**
**Admires flames whilst warming hands** :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

ame

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:49 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
I've not watched Mr Robot yet, but I have played too much Cyberpunk and Shadowrun.

If real life doesn't accurately emulate my RPG experience then its because the real Evil corporations lack ambition.
Mr Robot - recommended!

ame

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:51 pm

Well, it'll be Thursday here before the UK, but I'm not sure that's going to give me any advantage.

Return to “Off topic discussion”