fruitoftheloom

Re: Is a new Raspberry Pi model coming?

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:43 am

hansotten wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Heater wrote:So half of us here owe an apology to sav25. There really was a new Pi coming all along. Amazing!
Well sort of, it is not "NEW" it is a redesign of the A+........................in a smaller form factor with peripherals removed :shock:
Yes, he needs an apology for the nasty words some in this thread wrote.

Poppycock 'redesign'. Its a new Pi. Every Pi is a sort of redesign.And it is welcome!
No because he was intimating all sorts of extras over the capabilities of what the BCM2835/6 is capable of...................which would of meant a new SoC

If he had actually intimated an edition to the existing Pi Family then would of not taken to task someone who had not actually researched what the RPi SoC is capable of....

So no apology will be given for my responses and rather than PoppyCock, I will say BalderDash :evil:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:52 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
hansotten wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: Well sort of, it is not "NEW" it is a redesign of the A+........................in a smaller form factor with peripherals removed :shock:

Poppycock 'redesign'. Its a new Pi. Every Pi is a sort of redesign.And it is welcome!
No because he was intimating all sorts of extras over the capabilities of what the BCM2835/6 is capable of...................which would of meant a new SoC

If he had actually intimated an edition to the existing Pi Family then would of not taken to task someone who had not actually researched what the RPi SoC is capable of....

So no apology will be given for my responses and rather than PoppyCock, I will say BalderDash :evil:
Sour grapes? I've heard of them.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

gordon77

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:58 am

Well Done sav25 your thread title was spot on :D

rpdom

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:09 am

jamesh wrote:Sour grapes? I've heard of them.
They make a little whine...

Heater

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:14 am

OK, it's a fair cop, it was me.

Very sorry sav25. How wrong could we be?

Well, I'm going to count this as a new Pi.

New improved low cost. New improved power consumption (I presume). New small form factor. New neat connector layout.

Sweet.

MattHawkinsUK

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:15 am

Reading this thread this morning is awesome.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

OK, it's "laugh". No contest :)
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

ame

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:22 am

Heater wrote:OK, it's a fair cop, it was me.
Society is to blame.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:23 am

ame wrote:
Society is to blame.
I blame the parents. ALL OF THEM. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

raspberrypiguy1

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:27 am

In other news AverageMan is officially a clairvoyant
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

sav25

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:31 am

Very sorry sav25. How wrong could we be?

Well, I'm going to count this as a new Pi.

New improved low cost. New improved power consumption (I presume). New small form factor. New neat connector layout.

Sweet.
It's all good fun. I've been bashed on the internet many times before so I never take any of it to heart :)
Averagemaker.com

gordon77

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:47 am

jamesh wrote:Normally RS or Farnell would have blabbed by now!

The MagPi is internally produced though, so perhaps that has made a difference. Or not. Bwahahahahaha.
No blabbing this time :D

Fidelius

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:53 am

jamesh wrote:Thread edited of rudeness. Which would come back to haunt the poster. Because of things.

I think, as with everything on this subject, that people should chill out and be patient. The MagPi is out Thursday, it appears to be hiding something exciting. You only have to wait until....Thursday. You know, the day after Wednesday (which is tomorrow).
Well, Today is the day after Wednesday, and indeed it was well worth the patience. :-)
I just read the new MagPi. So neat, the new Pi ZERO. The Pi Foundation never stops to amaze us, isn't it?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:22 am

You do post some baloney......
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

jamesh

Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:54 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
You do post some baloney......
I learnt from an expert.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:20 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
hansotten wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: Well sort of, it is not "NEW" it is a redesign of the A+........................in a smaller form factor with peripherals removed :shock:

This time I agree with Fruity. SAV25 predicted a completely new machine. This isn't a brand new machine it's the same processor / SoC with all the funky adapters stripped off (to the bare minimum microHDMI, microUSB, microUSB (power only)).

So I stand by my "The RPF would be mad to release a new computer this close to Xmas". I think they've done something fantastic and should have trapped the "I can't pay £35 for a toy for you for Xmas" market. I bet Dave Akerman is busy buying up lots of PiZeros because they'll be easier to fly on his HABs.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

sav25

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:30 am

It is funny reading all these self defence posts.

I predicted a new Raspberry Pi. Today, there is a new Raspberry Pi. I predicted at a high level, and at a high level there is a new Pi today. I don't think people around the internet are saying "It's not a new Raspberry Pi, it's a Pi2/B+ but smaller"...

I 'speculated' at the potential features based on what people have been crying out for, and these speculations were mostly wrong apart from the size change.

^^ You see what I did there guys? I put my hand up when I was wrong about something - it's easy, it really is, and it actually comes across better than pretending you were right all the time...

Show's over folks - new Pi released, let's go enjoy it :D
Averagemaker.com

Heater

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:52 am

Me, me, don't forget me. I was wrong too!

:)

RaTTuS

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 pm

I said a paper Pi .. not far off ...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:02 pm

DougieLawson wrote: This time I agree with Fruity. SAV25 predicted a completely new machine. This isn't a brand new machine it's the same processor / SoC with all the funky adapters stripped off (to the bare minimum microHDMI, microUSB, microUSB (power only)).
Thank you it is a reconfigured A+ which is great, fantastic, brilliant.......
..........shame can not find one for the advertised price :(
adieu

RaTTuS

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:19 pm

there where several places you could get the £4 version from - but now have all gone - the additional extra's will be useful for a lot of people as they now how them.
I expect cpc will have some more in in the next couple of weeks...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:23 pm

RaTTuS wrote:there where several places you could get the £4 version from - but now have all gone - the additional extra's will be useful for a lot of people as they now how them.
I expect cpc will have some more in in the next couple of weeks...
CPC only sold them with the Cable Bundle £12.50, I have enough cables already :D
adieu

BMS Doug

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:36 pm

BMS Doug wrote: I doubt it's new hardware, (Wrong) the top of the Magpi says: "Free Raspberry..." before the rest is obstructed, this suggests to me that the surprise is one of:
  • software (free to distribute)(Wrong)
  • something cheap enough that it can be distributed with the dead tree format Magpi (may cost more than the magazine but probably not by much) (right)
  • Educational giveaway (an announcement of something being distributed to schools or code clubs)(Wrong) (but also right)
I'm most expecting the 3rd option, it's the foundations purpose.
I've got six now (sorry anybody else who went to WHSmiths at Chancery Lane, I bought their entire stock), I've already given one to someone I work with and three others will be given to friends tonight. the fifth will be for my nephew and the sixth is (of course) for me.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

gregeric

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:18 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: This time I agree with Fruity. SAV25 predicted a completely new machine. This isn't a brand new machine it's the same processor / SoC with all the funky adapters stripped off (to the bare minimum microHDMI, microUSB, microUSB (power only)).
Thank you it is a reconfigured A+ which is great, fantastic, brilliant.......
..........shame can not find one for the advertised price :(
Got to disagree, of course it's a new model: new form factor, new (trimmed down) feature spec, revolutionary price point.

In the history of the Pi, the only variants I would not class as a new models would be the Rev1 with the fuses mod & the Rev2 when it went from 256 to 512MiB.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:22 pm

sav25 wrote:It is funny reading all these self defence posts.

I predicted a new Raspberry Pi. Today, there is a new Raspberry Pi. I predicted at a high level, and at a high level there is a new Pi today. I don't think people around the internet are saying "It's not a new Raspberry Pi, it's a Pi2/B+ but smaller"...

I 'speculated' at the potential features based on what people have been crying out for, and these speculations were mostly wrong apart from the size change.

^^ You see what I did there guys? I put my hand up when I was wrong about something - it's easy, it really is, and it actually comes across better than pretending you were right all the time...

Show's over folks - new Pi released, let's go enjoy it :D
No Richard, you cruelly stalked us on twitter, made our lives a misery and the press have been dogging our every step since your blog post. Shame on you! Shame on you! :lol:

I jest of course. Great detective work! But of the several times I've been to Pi Towers this year, that was the only one just before a launch. So you were "a bit jammy" as well :lol:

It's kind of funny though that this time there wasn't a major leak, even though, with all those magazine retailers involved, it was highly likely someone would have tweeted a photo before time.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

solar3000

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Son of a barbarian! The OP was right!
I'll have to keep an eye on him for more secrets.
Antikythera

Return to “Off topic discussion”