sav25

Is a new Raspberry Pi model coming?

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:33 pm

I've been thinking this to myself recently based on stuff I've seen and heard, so decided to write my theories down to see if anyone else shares my view.

If nothing else it's been fun being a fake detective for the afternoon!

http://www.averagemanvsraspberrypi.com/ ... ry-pi.html

What do you think? Am I on to something? :lol:
Averagemaker.com

fruitoftheloom

Re: Is a new Raspberry Pi model coming?

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:43 pm

sav25 wrote:I've been thinking this to myself recently based on stuff I've seen and heard, so decided to write my theories down to see if anyone else shares my view.

The RPF have never ever ever released details of future products or a road map, this forum has been littered with this crap for over 3 years....
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

sav25

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:50 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
sav25 wrote:I've been thinking this to myself recently based on stuff I've seen and heard, so decided to write my theories down to see if anyone else shares my view.

The RPF have never ever ever released details of future products or a road map, this forum has been littered with this crap for over 3 years....
Oh I agree - but in the last 3 years we've also seen new devices no?

Also previous speculation has been based on nothing - my theories are based on lots of really loose, unconfirmed and flawed facts :lol:
Averagemaker.com

gkreidl

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:55 pm

Creating absolutely silly rumors based on nothing.
And it seems that you don't understand the main question of SOC compatibility.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

sav25

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:04 pm

gkreidl wrote:Creating absolutely silly rumors based on nothing.
And it seems that you don't understand the main question of SOC compatibility.
Are they silly rumours? I stated a few times in my post that it's just my theory, and if the Foundation and official magazine are tweeting "something's coming" style tweets themselves...am I really starting something new? I still don't understand why forum users get so stroppy when people ask for a new model or assume one is coming. I think It's a good thing - people like the product, it supports a charity, they want to see and buy more versions, which will further support the charity.

Compare this as well to the kind of posts and theories you get when Samsung are due a new phone...it goes all over the internet. The Pi is 'that big' now.

And no - I don't understand SoC compatability. I'm a Business Analyst for a financial company, not a techy...why would I understand the ins and outs of a SoC? I can barely get GPIO to work... ;)
Averagemaker.com

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:07 pm

at this stage in the Pi developement its unlikely. the Pi2 hasnt been out all that long and if you pack many more features into the product, it will be a different product.

There has been the talk of the fact if your ordering large batches you can customize a Pi. Plus there is the beaglebone black, banana pi etc all similar product with different features.

Recently they released a display for it after a long time.

Aside from maybe a newer compute module or something giving about 30,000 GPIO pins, why would anyone need another model?

It gets to a point where you might as well reverse engineer an add on for a pc to give you GPIO pins rather than add more features to the Pi.

If anything an official add-on for prototyping work schools might be whats in the pipeline

sav25

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:15 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote: Aside from maybe a newer compute module or something giving about 30,000 GPIO pins, why would anyone need another model?
It's a very good point - and makes me even more eager to find out what's coming in 2 days time. My only thought is a version with WiFi on-board, as it would just make things that little bit simpler for headless users like me - but that's probably not even a worry for educators as they're likely to use a screen/keyboard.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...in the meantime I'll keep my shield up for the likely barrage of forum members angry at me for voicing any kind of opinion or theory :roll:
Averagemaker.com

mikerr

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Well I'd like USB3, gigabit and SATA - but all are very unlikely due to the way everything runs off the SoC USb2 port.

What is more feasable is :

onboard RTC
real low power standby modes

android (hehe!)

but it'll probably be a compute v2 - that's the "missing piece" in the lineup since the pi-2 came out.
Last edited by mikerr on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:28 pm

sav25 wrote:
bugsy_malone 666 wrote: Aside from maybe a newer compute module or something giving about 30,000 GPIO pins, why would anyone need another model?
It's a very good point - and makes me even more eager to find out what's coming in 2 days time. My only thought is a version with WiFi on-board, as it would just make things that little bit simpler for headless users like me - but that's probably not even a worry for educators as they're likely to use a screen/keyboard.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...in the meantime I'll keep my shield up for the likely barrage of forum members angry at me for voicing any kind of opinion or theory :roll:
Not angry just feed up this crap keeps coming up...

btw how can built in (wireless, sata etal) be implemented from a circuitry point of view on existing 2B board foot print with the existing SoC ? please enlighten !
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

mikerr

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:30 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:btw how can built in WiFi be implemented from a circuitry point of view on existing 2B board foot print with the existing SoC ? please enlighten !
Simply having one of the USB socket facing inboard would suit me for that.
i.e. inboard USB socket with nano wifi dongle
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Heater

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:00 pm

sav25,

Please don't spam us with this gibberish. I presume you are you just tossing out teases to get clicks on the adds on your page?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

russell_barnes
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Heater wrote:sav25,

Please don't spam us with this gibberish. I presume you are you just tossing out teases to get clicks on the adds on your page?
I'm pretty shocked at this. What's the harm in a bit of fun speculation?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:08 pm

russell_barnes wrote:

I'm pretty shocked at this. What's the harm in a bit of fun speculation?
Nothing if it is in OFF TOPIC FORUM :D

Joe Schmoe

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:08 pm

My Ad Blocker refused to load the URL in the OP, so I assume you are correct that it is spam.

But, that aside, there is a small kernel of wisdom in the OP's mind-state. That is that we are all thinking that the term "new version of Raspberry Pi" means something logically connected to the existing Pi - and, of course, is upwards compatible with the existing Pi(s). This is certainly a reasonable way to think about things, especially to a techie mindset. But it is not the way B-school types see things. To them, the company is what matters. If the entity known as the RPF produced a brand new board, completely different from the existing one(s), it could be said to be "a new Raspberry Pi" model. In a lot of ways, it could be said to be fixing a lot of the bugs and problems in the existing model(s). As I say, this is pretty common belief outside of the techie world - and, especially, among B types (as the OP admits to being).

Or, to put this another way, the RPF really oughta drop this "cheapie ARM" stuff and get on the bus and produce an x86 based board that can run Windows. Really, people, get with it!
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

sav25

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Yes I have ads on my site. Hosting and domain names don't pay for themselves, they support my hobby. I still of course do a 9-5 as the ads barely cover the cost of the site. It's 2015, websites have ads, get used to it or get an ad blocker?

If this is spam...then there are thousands of spam posts speculating about the next line of Samsung, Sony, Nexus, LG and other smartphones possibly coming out in the next year. Oh and all those sites are supported with Ads too - except those guys use those nasty full screen types that kill the internet.

The Pi is a gadget, people speculate about new gadget releases - this is quite normal. Are you from the past?
Averagemaker.com

sav25

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:18 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
sav25 wrote:

Not angry just feed up this crap keeps coming up...

btw how can built in (wireless, sata etal) be implemented from a circuitry point of view on existing 2B board foot print with the existing SoC ? please enlighten !
Well...that's like saying "How can they possibly make computers smaller" in 1995. They did. I have no idea how SoC stuff works, but who's to say the board will stay the same size? Oops another nasty rumour - quick - ban me from the forum hehe :D
Averagemaker.com

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:19 pm

sav25 wrote:The Pi is a gadget
That is the most abusive description I have seen written, jeez....

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/what-is-a-raspberry-pi

DougieLawson

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:21 pm

It would be commercial suicide to release a machine this close to this side of Xmas. Half of the RPF support folks will soon be away on their Xmas breaks, their winter sun holidays, skiing holidays or simply nursing hangovers.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

sav25

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:26 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
sav25 wrote:The Pi is a gadget
That is the most abusive description I have seen written, jeez....

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/what-is-a-raspberry-pi
Well you know what I mean, it's under that big banner of "technology thing/device that has new versions here and there without any warning". Hence, people speculate.

I just love the internet today :|
Averagemaker.com

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:38 pm

Lighten up, people - I enjoy reading the crazy theories.

DougieLawson

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:40 pm

PhilE wrote:Lighten up, people - I enjoy reading the crazy theories.
Oooh, a RPF staff member who isn't nursing a hangover has piped up.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

sav25

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:49 pm

PhilE wrote:Lighten up, people - I enjoy reading the crazy theories.
Thanks Phil.

My thoughts started as a result of tweets from the Foundation and the MagPi teasing at something BIG in 2 days time. The release is all secret squirrel (which is fun), so I'm not pulling this out of thin air as people have suggested.

Maybe there are rules to this - you can guess what it is, but don't you dare consider that this might be a new Pi release! :D
Averagemaker.com

liz

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:58 pm

I have two things to say:

1) Loving the speculation.
2) Lord, some of you are meanies.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ric96

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:06 pm

What i think it might be:
1) A dual/quad core A+ with 512mb ram
2) 10'' 1080p DSI Display
3) May be a proper Show and Tell of the custom PCB Pi be element 14

What I want it to be:
1) OpenGL driver for x (But we know it will take some time)

What it possibly could be:
Judging from the magpi teaser a special edition (apart from the 200 page one), probably announcing something awesome.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

jamesh

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:17 pm

liz wrote:I have two things to say:

1) Loving the speculation.
2) Lord, some of you are meanies.
I love a bit of speculation myself.

Going to be fun coming back to this thread in the future!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Off topic discussion”