clivef

Re: Tagliatelle beef hack

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:23 pm

I tried to tenderise braising steak by running it through the tagliatelle cutter of my pasta machine tonight.

My considered advice would be : Do. Not. Do. This. 8O :D

johnbeetem

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Good judgement comes from Experience.
Experience comes from Bad Judgement.
[source unknown to me]

Thunder__X

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

I guess it's back to the old hand meat tenderizer for you! :D

jacklang

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:25 pm

You need a Jacquard meat tenderizer http://www.jaccard.com/ available from amazon and other places. However mechanical tenderising can only have a limited effect,

When meat cooks there are 6 separate processes:
1 Enzymatic tenderising (which is what happens slowly when meat is hung). Enzymes are deactivated above 65C
2. Protein degradation. The muscle proteins degrade with heat and curl up into tight stringy spirals, squeezing out the juices, This happens from about 60C to about 65C
3. Oxidation of myoglobin, The red pigment turns to grey at about 60C
4. Collagen (the tough bit holding the muscle fibres together) dissolves to gelatin. Braising steak has lots of collagen, but the gelatin gives good mouth feel. This reaction is temperature dependent, but happens from about 50C (slow) to about 75C (fast). Thus in a stew tough meat is cooked in a hot wet environment to give tender meat (the collagen dissolves) but stringy (the protein has coagulated)
5. The fats melt at various temperatures from 44C upwards
6. Pathogens such as e.coli are denatured depending on time and temperature from 89 minutes at 55C to 14 seconds at 70C internal temperature. Time for conduction of heat through the meat must be allowed for in calculating pasteurization times. However the inside of a solid piece of meat is fairly sterile provide it has not been spiked by anything such as a knife, Jacquard meat or mince or hamburger is not
7. The outside is browned (Maillard reactions) by high heat.

So for the tenderest steak ever sear the outside over high heat, then cook at 56C +/- 0.5C (for rare) for 24 hours.

For more (lots more) see http://modernistcuisine.com/ by Nathan Myhrvold

clivef

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks Jack - I must say that it's a delight to have a fellow food 'technician' here. I'd usually braise @ low oven for several hours or sous vide it overnight, but I thought I'd experiment because I was bored. And hungry. It was not a great success :).

And as much as I would dearly love a £300 set of Modernist Cuisine, I will make do for now with my £5 ex-library copy of McGee with the spine hanging off!

Bacan

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:22 am

I've looked over my local library copy of the following: Cooking for Geeks

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-.....038;sr=8-1

It is on my Xmas wish list for my daughter to get for me.

From the sounds of things, we might have some people here that may want real Raspberry Pies!

Warringer

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:25 pm

The answer to 'How to tenderize a steak' is obviously to watch Mythbusters, and then use one of the following methods:

1) Explosives
2) Large caliber air gun at stationary target
3) dryer with steel balls
4) More explosives

riffraff

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 am

Quote from Warringer on November 6, 2011, 18:25
The answer to 'How to tenderize a steak' is obviously to watch Mythbusters, and then use one of the following methods:

1) Explosives
2) Large caliber air gun at stationary target
3) dryer with steel balls
4) More explosives

Obviously a proper tenderizing technique would involve sandwiching the meat between two large pieces of steel armor plate, thin layers of explosives and layers of steel balls. Sort of a converging claymore effect. 8-)

Return to “Off topic discussion”