Aaron'sWorkshop

My First OS made with Cosmos C# toolkit

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:32 pm

I've been working on a hobby OS for quite a while, and I believe it's at the point where everybody can see what it does already.

It's based on C# Open Source-managed Operating System, or Cosmos' microkernel architecture and written in C#.

It may only have one command, and it displays the upstream version number of the Kernel, but I believe with a little
bit of development and feedback from others, I may be able to make it into something like Linux. But only with development and
feedback.

The reason why it displays the kernel's version number is because the command line interface shell, called tsh, is built-in,
and that itself is the only main component of the OS.

I am trying to port a package manager like apt-get or pacman to it, by putting the code of them inside the kernel.
If it works out, then we may be able to add a whole bunch of software to it.

For right now, the main goal is to create a filesystem that will actually allow users to write and read data to an attached medium
and overall let users save their work once the OS session is finished.

The working name is Tronic OS as in Electronic.

The working name of the OS shell is Tronic SHell.

LINK:https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0dfy0fd5pal2 ... 3.zip?dl=0

ProfessorK

Re: My First OS made with Cosmos C# toolkit

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:21 am

How did you get Cosmos to cross compile to ARM?

natesiteweb_4

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:35 pm

Yes please tell us how you got it to cross compile, it would be very helpful.

lightningdalek

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:06 am

could you tell me how you got started? I can't find any tutorials for making os'es for the r pi 2.

AnInterestedPerson

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

As my name suggests I am very interested is this project of yours and the ARM architecture. How on earth did you get it to work the Raspberry Pi?
I would appreciate it immensely if you could teach me how to.

Electron752

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:29 am

Interesting...

I tried to download your zip file, but it required me to create an account and all. Could you perhaps put the file somewhere else?

Perhaps you could give out some more information about what you have done. How did you write device drivers in C# since C# doesn't have pointers in the traditional sense. Meaning you can't just assign a hardcoded address to a pointer and then access it just like a regular pointer. Or did you implement a function like "peek" or "poke" in the C# runtime like from the old commodore basic days?

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:01 am

Just click on the very bottom link when you get the pop-up. The "No thanks, just take me to the download" link and you don't need to sign in/sign up.
Account Inactive

Electron752

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:48 am

I was able to download the file and I see several interesting ideas here, but I'm having trouble understand how it all works. Perhaps you could give more details?

I see the notes about VMWare in the configuration, and I see syslinux in the ISO image. I also see the C# code that makes up tsh. I'm not quite sure how it all fits together.

Heater

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:08 am

All these questions have answers here:

https://github.com/CosmosOS/Cosmos

and many things linked from there, like:

https://github.com/CosmosOS/Cosmos/wiki ... -or-VB.NET

For example:
Cosmos does not run on Linux. A boot loader called Syslinux is used to boot Cosmos. After booting, Syslinux is not used. Syslinux is a bootloader and is not a Linux distro.
The OS will but into a virtual machine under VMWare or it can be booted on your real hardware.

It uses IL2CPU to generate native machine code from the compiled C# byte codes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL2CPU

Since it requires Visual Studio I did not continue any further. Seems kind of pointless.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ProfessorK

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:10 pm

It woudl be great if you could get your work rolled back into and supported by the Cosmos project.

I think a number of us have been eagerly awaiting someone doing the effort of porting Cosmos to Arm...

Return to “Off topic discussion”