ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

MeowCAD

Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:32 am

The author of this hangs out in an irc channel I hang out in occasionally and although it's still a work in progress but so far it looks pretty good so far from my limited knowledge. Obviously there are a lot of things still missing but it's getting there.

The author could do with a few more users who know what they are doing to shake out all the bugs & give suggestions on which directions to go in so if you are into making your own PCBs you might like to give MeowCAD (Online design for electronic schematics and circuit boards) a try.

https://meowcad.com/

ame

Re: MeowCAD

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:20 am

Thanks, but no thanks.

I can run KiCAD locally and retain access to all of my files.

Might be useful for someone I suppose.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:57 am

ame wrote:Thanks, but no thanks.

and you bothered to reply why?

No one is forcing you to try it i just thought that someone might like to give it a go in case they found it useful.

ame

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:59 am

ukscone wrote:

No one is forcing you to try it i just thought that someone might like to give it a go in case they found it useful.
I thought someone might like to give KiCAD a go in case they found it useful.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:06 am

ame wrote:
ukscone wrote:

Start your own thread if you want to do that & lip to a moderator is really a smart thing to do i don't think

r3d4

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:37 am

ame wrote: I can run KiCAD locally and retain access to all of my files.
FIY you should be able to run the 'MeowCAD' localy IF you like to retain access ect ..
www.meowcad.com wrote: All our code is free and open (AGPLv3 or GPL compatible) and can be found here:

https://github.com/abetusk/bleepsix

https://github.com/abetusk/www.meowcad.com
"This codebase only represents the (very hacked together, hodge-podge frameworkless) python code that powers the website proper. For the web application that runs the schematic and board capture in your browser, see the sibling project:bleepsix"

abetusk

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:40 pm

Author of MeowCAD here.

MeowCAD won't be for everyone. I made it to lower the barrier to electronic design and sharing. It provides an easy access to create small to medium sized boards. Maybe in the future the complexity could be on par with something like KiCAD but for right now KiCAD will win out on features, stability and board size.

MeowCAD provides easy accessibility to anyone with an internet connection. This means the project is stored in the cloud but it also means you can access your project anywhere there's an internet connection. For a lot of people, not having to worry about transporting projects around, sharing them with other people and worrying that they'll get out of sync is a big win. MeowCAD also provides an easy way to share snapshots of your schematics and boards. This is especially helpful when getting help online as you can share a picture directly instead of going through the screenshot to crop to imgur dance.

MeowCAD is completely free and open source. This means you can stand up your own server or hack it for your own needs. I've also created a Docker image so that you can run it locally (find it at https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/abetusk/meowcad/). The Docker image was meant more as a proof of concept so that people could see how to run an instance locally and hasn't focused on database persistence. I would be happy to extend this a bit if people were interested.

KiCAD is great! I love KiCAD! If people want to use KiCAD they should! If people want an easily accessible (free and open source) online tool then maybe they'll want to give MeowCAD a try. I hope that MeowCAD will provide a compliment to KiCAD, not a replacement.

Ravenous

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:26 pm

ukscone wrote:
ame wrote:
ukscone wrote: and you bothered to reply why?

Start your own thread if you want to do that & lip to a moderator is really a smart thing to do i don't think
Phew, that was pretty brutal for someone daring to disagree with a moderator. And unjustified, if you review the first two posts.

Anyway I stopped posting here a while ago; you reminded me why.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Ravenous wrote: Phew, that was pretty brutal for someone daring to disagree with a moderator. And unjustified, if you review the first two posts.

Anyway I stopped posting here a while ago; you reminded me why.
As my mother always taught me "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything"

his reply was pointless, was a thread hijack attempt, want to talk about KiCAD then start a new thread & gave me lip when told his post was inappropriate and pointless . a bannable offence. which i didn't do although well within my rights.

Return to “Off topic discussion”