Malman35

Hats off to the Moderators!

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:32 am

I just wanted to write this post to thank the moderators for what they do. I have seen them handle situations very well when people cause a lot of grief. Also they have always been quick to help when you don't understand something about the forum. For those of you who think they aren't fare because they locked your thread, be willing to oblige and realise that this is a forum not a country and the moderators usually have a liable reason for doing so and are doing it for the good of everyone. Keep up the GREAT work Moderates.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Hats off to the Moderators!

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:03 am

Thanks!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Malman35

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:08 am

jamesh wrote:Thanks!
Your welcome. I recently was reading through this mess
Free Speech:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=109561
and it kinda made me mad to see the way some people were disrespecting the moderators. I have realised that it must be a great responsibility to upkeep a forum in the way a moderator does.

Heater

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 am

From time to time I have found myself the target of a moderators wrath here. Even so I do agree with the opening poster. We are guests here and should abide by the hosts wishes. Despite the overwhelming urge to argue about it sometimes :)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Malman35

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:13 am

Heater wrote:From time to time I have found myself the target of a moderators wrath here. Even so I do agree with the opening poster. We are guests here and should abide by the hosts wishes. Despite the overwhelming urge to argue about it sometimes :)
I have learned in the 14 years of my life that sometimes I need to obey my authorities and to not argue even if it doesn't seem fair cause they usually know better than I do.

gordon77

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:18 am

Malman35 wrote:
Heater wrote:From time to time I have found myself the target of a moderators wrath here. Even so I do agree with the opening poster. We are guests here and should abide by the hosts wishes. Despite the overwhelming urge to argue about it sometimes :)
I have learned in the 14 years of my life that sometimes I need to obey my authorities and to not argue even if it doesn't seem fair cause they usually know better than I do.
Sounds like a good plan when you are 14... :D

scidata

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:23 am

Forum moderation is indeed a difficult and largely thankless task. It is also vital for open discussion.

However, care must be taken to not devolve into pedantry. It would be nice to see less discussion of basic wiring and more of the RPF's philosophy and pervasive computational thinking.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

jamesh

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 pm

scidata wrote:Forum moderation is indeed a difficult and largely thankless task. It is also vital for open discussion.

However, care must be taken to not devolve into pedantry. It would be nice to see less discussion of basic wiring and more of the RPF's philosophy and pervasive computational thinking.
I'm afraid the moderators don't add much content, just police the content that others provide! So not really able to help much !

On the other hand...

http://www.picturesdepot.com/photo/c/ca ... -11123.jpg
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

BMS Doug

Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 pm

scidata wrote: It would be nice to see less discussion of basic wiring and more of the RPF's philosophy and pervasive computational thinking.
I don't think you can blame the moderators for that, AFAIUI most of them aren't employed by RPF anyway so you would need the RPF employees to chip in more often on that score. But there are far fewer PRF foundation employees than there are Pi owners, so I am happy for the forum to continue to support the end users in their learning (which I believe is the foundations goal) rather than be a propaganda magazine detailing the RPF's goals without advancing them.
Malman35 wrote:For those of you who think they aren't fare.
I truly believe that they aren't "fare".
scidata wrote: However, care must be taken to not devolve into pedantry.
Oops, ignore the above then, I truly believe that the moderators are "fair".
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Burngate

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:03 pm

scidata wrote:It would be nice to see less discussion of basic wiring and more of the RPF's philosophy and pervasive computational thinking.
One difficulty is that most users get the hang of simple programming fairly quickly, partly because trial & error is quick and easy with a keyboard. Even an error message can give instant gratification!
Electronics, on the other hand, can be slow even at a simple level. You follow a recipe for flashing a LED, power it all up, and - nothing. No error message, no blinding flash, nothing.
And you don't even know why you were doing what you did.

The other difficulty is that every day someone new comes along, with the same problems so asking the same questions and needing the same answers.
There's the faq's and the stickies, but they don't quite fit the bill, so they have to be answered individually.
Getting shirty with them doesn't help, either. Patience is required. (I was going to say Strong Patience, but that's too poetic)
Schools solve this by only letting people join once a year, but that can't happen here.

drgeoff

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:27 pm

Burngate wrote:Schools solve this by only letting people join once a year, but that can't happen here.
Now there's a thought. :)

BMS Doug

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 am

Man, I love the moderators, great work guys!

(we just had an active spammer, hiding a link to gambling site in white text at the bottom of his posts, he and an inappropriately named user both vanished really quickly).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

ame

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:17 am

drgeoff wrote:
Burngate wrote:Schools solve this by only letting people join once a year, but that can't happen here.
Now there's a thought. :)
You mean move Eternal September back to just September?

jamesh

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:22 am

BMS Doug wrote:Man, I love the moderators, great work guys!

(we just had an active spammer, hiding a link to gambling site in white text at the bottom of his posts, he and an inappropriately named user both vanished really quickly).
Two of us competing on deleting those - I kept trying to delete posts and found out they had already been deleted! But I got to ban the username!

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:01 pm

jamesh wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:Man, I love the moderators, great work guys!

Two of us competing on deleting those - I kept trying to delete posts and found out they had already been deleted! But I got to ban the username!
Tee Hee
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “Off topic discussion”