mrpi64

The issues with wireless technologies

Thu May 21, 2015 6:02 pm

I'll get straight to the point.
Problem is, we haven't had the time to thoroughly test new wireless technology. Being human beings, we just think that things like this are great. So, we don't see any long-term (and potentially harmful) effects until it may be too late: http://www.earthcalm.com/wi-fi-dangers- ... uman-body/.
And read some of the comments too - leg feeling weird with phone next to it? I've tried that, with both of my legs. Soon we're going to, as a society, come to the stage where we all realise these dangers, and yet it is too late. Long-term effects don't appear until a long time. So maybe we're just about to reach that time? Who knows. Even Wikipedia has a page on it. Of course, there will be people who argue against this. I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm just saying that we may want to be careful.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

W. H. Heydt

Re: The issues with wireless technologies

Thu May 21, 2015 7:56 pm

So...you're funding research on the topic, right? You know...the sort of research that is peer-reviewed for publication and shown to be repeatable? Doesn't use faked data? That sort of research?

morphy_richards

Thu May 21, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu here.
I wonder what level of em radiation there is at WiFi type frequencies naturally. I understand the sun pumps it all out.
I am cynical about these concerns, somewhere in a tatty old history textbook there's a cartoon from the early days of gas light. Apparently gas lights were something to do with the devil? Why am I reminded of this?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 pm

There are lots of studies on this topic. Pick a few major meta-studies and read through them.
mrpi64 wrote:I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm just saying that we may want to be careful.
It sounds like you're not really saying anything.

mikerr

Thu May 21, 2015 9:58 pm

It saddens me to see that earthcalm site selling "resonant pendants" to the gullible for $299 ...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

ame

Thu May 21, 2015 10:03 pm

mikerr wrote:It saddens me to see that earthcalm site selling "resonant pendants" to the gullible for $299 ...
Don't waste your money. I can supply much higher quality ones that actually work for only $499.

W. H. Heydt

Thu May 21, 2015 10:35 pm

mikerr wrote:It saddens me to see that earthcalm site selling "resonant pendants" to the gullible for $299 ...
M. Focault to the white courtesy phone, please!

morphy_richards

Fri May 22, 2015 5:42 am

Our cells respond to RF radiation as a foreign invader. The cell membrane around these cellsbecomes

impermeable 7 . This means nutrientscan’t getinside—and toxinsand cancer-causing free radicalscan’t getout. This damagesthe mitochondria, which causesthe cells to lose their ability to function. The DNA is damaged. Thecells eventually die
Aargh This just makes me want to smash stuff!
:x

ame

Fri May 22, 2015 5:46 am

morphy_richards wrote:

Our cells respond to RF radiation as a foreign invader. The cell membrane around these cellsbecomes

impermeable 7 . This means nutrientscan’t getinside—and toxinsand cancer-causing free radicalscan’t getout. This damagesthe mitochondria, which causesthe cells to lose their ability to function. The DNA is damaged. Thecells eventually die
Aargh This just makes me want to smash stuff!
:x
See! It's the wireless energy making you feel that way! You need a tinfoil hat.

ghans

Fri May 22, 2015 5:50 am

TBH , this reads like someone lost his password to a spammer.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mrpi64

Fri May 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Nope, I still have my password, thank you very much.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri May 22, 2015 6:09 pm

mrpi64 wrote:Nope, I still have my password, thank you very much.
How do you know?
I'm not saying that you're experiencing a simulation of having your password while you actually don't, but you can't dismiss the possibility.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
There's a wikipedia page on it.

Burngate

Sat May 23, 2015 10:49 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:... but you can't dismiss the possibility.
I can. I have. And you can't stop me, since you don't exist.

morphy_richards

Sat May 23, 2015 11:13 am

One of the infuriating things about this is that statements like 'RF radiation makes permeable cell membranes become impermeable' are clearly BS and that closes any possible chance of any discourse.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 23, 2015 2:20 pm

morphy_richards wrote:One of the infuriating things about this is that statements like 'RF radiation makes permeable cell membranes become impermeable' are clearly BS and that closes any possible chance of any discourse.
Well, only if your aim is to have the discourse with the author of the linked website. Luckily, the topic was brought up by mrpi64, who is probably much more rational that that. On the surface, the claim that wifi can cause health problems is fairly reasonable, which is why it has been studied a fair bit. I certainly wouldn't think less of someone who has just stumbled across that linked site and thought "Hmm, even if this particular site is bs, there's probably something to it". I'm not particularly interested in getting into the argument myself and mrpi64 doesn't seem to be either, but I hope he keeps reading past the woo and comes to a well reasoned position.
Burngate wrote:I can. I have. And you can't stop me, since you don't exist.
What!? *starts fading* Nooo!!!
... I don't know.

morphy_richards

Sat May 23, 2015 7:01 pm

That is a fair point. Sadly the op didn't really put forward any of his own information and just referred to second hand info that sounds like it has as much to do with science as a flux capacitor.

It is sad because there could be something in it, and things like this, but fictional rubbish, woo, as you put it, infuriates many and makes others think if this is a lie then all claims like this are also lies.

Anecdotal evidence is often quife interesting even though its not scientific proof,for example, see James ' story in a very similar thread to this just a bit further down there somewhere

mrpi64

Sun May 24, 2015 4:22 pm

To be honest, I've known about it for quite some time, I was just wondering if anyone else had or has read or heard of such.
I'm happy to help.

ShiftPlusOne

Sun May 24, 2015 4:34 pm

I think anyone who follows the news would've come across alarmist pieces about it once in a while.

Douglas6

Sun May 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Burngate wrote:I can. I have. And you can't stop me, since you don't exist.
That reminds me, I'm thinking of starting a Google Group for practicing solipsists, and trying to gauge interest.

Return to “Off topic discussion”