ric96

Re: Lemon Pi, $35 ARM Quad-core A9 open source board

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:30 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
ric96 wrote: I've had this one for months now, heats like hell and the screen resolution issue is due to the fact that the resolution is coded into the .dtb file and cannot be changed at runtime.
Hmmm..... Good thing I'm not seriously trying to do anything critical with it. Hard coding screen resolution in this day and age (unless said code is fully documented and under user control) should result in the person making that design choice being taken out back and shot.
True,
Anyways i am just using mine as a download manager and for BOINC.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

stderr

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:51 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I have it up and running. Clock speed is 1.1GHz. It has 2GB of RAM.
I think that having 2gig is pretty huge, actually, because one of the things I'm trying to do is find a board that will do firefox over ssh -X quickly enough to appear local (or local enough). Have you got one of the Odroid-c2 boards on order, I'd love to know how they compare. I guess they are a bit tight with supply like the pi people.
I can't find any sign of on board eMMC. There is a downloadable image file for Debian. It works, but the last update was Nov. 30, 2015
I think a lot of boards are using an older kernel for some reason. I don't know what is going on there.
I'm less than impressed with their Debian build. Ssh-server wasn't even installed, for instance.
I stopped using Ubuntu desktop even when I need a desktop but I think that it didn't have server either, which drove me crazy, since, of course, the apt-get name for what you need is some weird thing that you'd never figure out on your own. And how are you supposed to apt-get it installed if you can't ssh in to do anything? With x86, I can chroot but I don't want to, I think ssh server should be there. And with the pi, no RTC, I really think fakeclock and/or ntp needs to be included in the default because you can't ssh in without the clock being set (depending on configuration of sshd).
Pi2) cores. Disadvantages: No sign of FCC or CE approvals.
I think there are SBC exemptions for low quantity test boards and some of these companies are getting in under that. The pi obviously is huge and can't do that.

EimGhey

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Lemon Pie is tasty...

W. H. Heydt

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:55 pm

stderr wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:I have it up and running. Clock speed is 1.1GHz. It has 2GB of RAM.
I think that having 2gig is pretty huge, actually, because one of the things I'm trying to do is find a board that will do firefox over ssh -X quickly enough to appear local (or local enough). Have you got one of the Odroid-c2 boards on order, I'd love to know how they compare. I guess they are a bit tight with supply like the pi people.
Haven't even ordered a C2, and wasn't planning to. I may rethink that after I get some other projects out of the way. The US distributor for Hardkernel (Ameridroid) is in Ukiah, CA...about 100 miles north of me. They list the C2 for $42. It would mean that I would end up with examples of all three "major" (reasonably well known?) Cortex-A53 SBCs.
I can't find any sign of on board eMMC. There is a downloadable image file for Debian. It works, but the last update was Nov. 30, 2015
I think a lot of boards are using an older kernel for some reason. I don't know what is going on there.
From what little I've read on the subject, they're using older kernels because Android will run on them and a bunch of the boards are really targeting Android. The PINE64 folks, for instance, got Android running first and then started working on Linux, so you can see where their focus is. I think PINE64 is using a 3.14 kernel (unless that is what the C2 is using). Since these companies are all pretty small, with limited communities, there aren't a lot of resources to work on software...and it shows.
I'm less than impressed with their Debian build. Ssh-server wasn't even installed, for instance.
I stopped using Ubuntu desktop even when I need a desktop but I think that it didn't have server either, which drove me crazy, since, of course, the apt-get name for what you need is some weird thing that you'd never figure out on your own. And how are you supposed to apt-get it installed if you can't ssh in to do anything? With x86, I can chroot but I don't want to, I think ssh server should be there. And with the pi, no RTC, I really think fakeclock and/or ntp needs to be included in the default because you can't ssh in without the clock being set (depending on configuration of sshd).
In this case, I set the board up through a KVM switch, so I have keyboard, mouse and monitor connected where it can see them. That allowed me to do minor things like "apt-get install ssh-server" and "apt-get install hdparm" in addition to my usal list of missing suspects, not least of which is gparted.
Pi2) cores. Disadvantages: No sign of FCC or CE approvals.
I think there are SBC exemptions for low quantity test boards and some of these companies are getting in under that. The pi obviously is huge and can't do that.
I'm assuming that is the case. It was shipped marked as a "gift", which is--I suppose--technically accurate, since it is an IGG "reward". Since there weren't a whole lot of them backed in the IGG campaign, and a big chuck of what was backed appear to have been internal to China, an "experimental" exemption to being properly tested is reasonable. It does mean, though, that they can't be expecting to sell very many in the US or EU, nor will any major distributor handle them (remember the fuss RS and Farnell put up before the Pi got certified? An few hundred...okay. Tens of thousands...no way.).

So far, the RAPi isn't a *bad* board, but it's really too late to amount to much. Newer developments have passed it by. The 2GB and USB3 port are really what it has going for it and I'm going to be very interested to see how the PiDrive benchmarks on it. The PINE64+ has a chance to make a mark (pretty much the same as a Pi3B, but you can get it with 2GB...but you can also get a version with 512MB--ouch), but this is true only if they get them out the door on time. Mine is coming late because I added some stuff, so one could argue whether or not a board that was supposed to ship in February is really late yet. By the end of this, month, I will conclude that it is late if it hasn't arrived. Following that, my CHIP+VGA adapter is due in May.

Is it telling that I almost never get more than one board of a type that isn't a version of a Pi?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:55 pm

EimGhey wrote:Lemon Pie is tasty...
Roseapple Pi is crunchy.

EimGhey

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:00 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
EimGhey wrote:Lemon Pie is tasty...
Roseapple Pi is crunchy.
Roseapple Pi?

EimGhey

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:09 pm

How does it cost? :twisted:

W. H. Heydt

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:21 am

EimGhey wrote:
How does it cost? :twisted:
No idea. I got mine through the IGG campaign, so that price may or may not reflect the current situation. Since that was the better part of a year ago, the price might have changed due to changing costs. If you go to the web site gordon77 posted, there are a bunch of companies listed. The box mine came in is labeled for Tantron (one of the listed suppliers). They appear to be located in Taiwan. The box also says "Global Distributor", so they should be able to come up with a price no matter where you are.

Pancakefactory

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 am

So these other imposter pis (lemonpi, roseapplepi, etc.) are not made by the makers of raspberry pi right? Why are they all named with pi? Is this a generic term i never heard of?

ric96

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:43 am

Pancakefactory wrote:So these other imposter pis (lemonpi, roseapplepi, etc.) are not made by the makers of raspberry pi right? Why are they all named with pi? Is this a generic term i never heard of?
They are just riding the "pi" hype train.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:39 pm

ric96 wrote:
Pancakefactory wrote:So these other imposter pis (lemonpi, roseapplepi, etc.) are not made by the makers of raspberry pi right? Why are they all named with pi? Is this a generic term i never heard of?
They are just riding the "pi" hype train.
I'd say it's more like they are *trying* ride the Raspberry Pi popularity train, but with extremely limited success since almost everybody recognizes the differences. What has become a generic feature is the GPIO block. Everybody seems to copy that even when they don't try to imitate the name.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:25 pm

In the beginning there was some thoughts to try and ensure the Pi part of the trademark was defended, but actually, the entire trademark is Raspberry Pi, so people can use just the Pi bit as much as they like. Note, the entire Raspberry Pi trademark is VERY vigorously defended. Use it and expect to get a letter from the lawyers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mikronauts

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Jamesh hit the nail on the head.

The RPF would not have been able to get a trademark on 'Pi' by itself, as it is the common abbreviation of a mathematical constant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Return to “Off topic discussion”