W. H. Heydt

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:17 pm

plugwash wrote:And IIRC it's only $5 shipping for people in the USA,
Correct.

So the cost of a working device depends not only on where you are, but what you think you need to make it work. I went for adding a VGA adapter (all my monitors have VGA even when bought for having DVI), so my cost in the US is $9 plus $10 plus $5 shipping...$24. (Note: I don't know what they are doing about sales tax.) That makes it pretty much the same price as an A+ and one can argue about what features of each make either one the better value.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:46 pm

I implied it above, but the model A+ at $20 is really about as low as you can go for a device with that feature set and still stay in business. Eben has stated there isn't yet a 2836 A because they cannot meet the price point of $20. Of course, the Foundation takes their cut as do the distributors, so I suppose you can knock a bit off there, but running a company is a full time occupation - the CHIP people need to make some profit somewhere. $9 seems VERY ambitious.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:07 pm

jamesh wrote:I implied it above, but the model A+ at $20 is really about as low as you can go for a device with that feature set and still stay in business. Eben has stated there isn't yet a 2836 A because they cannot meet the price point of $20. Of course, the Foundation takes their cut as do the distributors, so I suppose you can knock a bit off there, but running a company is a full time occupation - the CHIP people need to make some profit somewhere. $9 seems VERY ambitious.
Absolutely agree with you. As far as a possible Pi2A goes...the CHIP won't really be out until next May and by then who knows... There is also the claim that the $9 CHIP is actually a loss leader. *If* that is the case, Next Thing just made a serious mistake, since they're going to have to cover losses on 50K units instead of 5K units.

solar3000

Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Why are we still knocking on CHIP?
Maybe they can; maybe they will.
I say, good luck to them. Another toy for me to play with.
Hay, maybe it'll be $8 or $4.

Who would have believed you could have a wrist watch for only $2?
Who would have believed you could have electricity? Or the wheel?
Antikythera

solar3000

Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Antikythera

BMS Doug

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:15 am

solar3000 wrote:Why are we still knocking on CHIP?
Nope, the thread hadn't been posted in for several weeks until you chose to revive it.
solar3000 wrote:Maybe they can; maybe they will.
Maybe they can't, maybe they won't.
solar3000 wrote:I say, good luck to them. Another toy for me to play with.
really unlikely, there's strong evidence to suggest that they won't be able to maintain the $9 dollar price tag, as the processor alone costs more than that to purchase.
solar3000 wrote:Who would have believed you could have a wrist watch for only $2?
but if the $2 watch cost $5 to make you wouldn't expect to see them keep that price, you would expect that once the initial loss-leading (promotional advertising) introductory period ended the price would rise to provide the company a reasonable profit margin.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

solar3000

Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:13 am

BMS Doug wrote:
solar3000 wrote:Why are we still knocking on CHIP?
Nope, the thread hadn't been posted in for several weeks until you chose to revive it.
solar3000 wrote:Maybe they can; maybe they will.
Maybe they can't, maybe they won't.
solar3000 wrote:I say, good luck to them. Another toy for me to play with.
really unlikely, there's strong evidence to suggest that they won't be able to maintain the $9 dollar price tag, as the processor alone costs more than that to purchase.
solar3000 wrote:Who would have believed you could have a wrist watch for only $2?
but if the $2 watch cost $5 to make you wouldn't expect to see them keep that price, you would expect that once the initial loss-leading (promotional advertising) introductory period ended the price would rise to provide the company a reasonable profit margin.

Bwah! Ha ha!

You are one of the few people who answer everything.
Your signature line is true then. You really are an engineer.

http://dilbert.com/
Antikythera

solar3000

Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:20 am

[Mod: personal attacks, however formed, are NOT welcome here. Don't do it. ]
Antikythera

BMS Doug

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:16 am

solar3000 wrote:Of course "Building Management Systems Engineer" could be deceiving.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 1241&hl=en
A BMS Engineer maintains the Building Management Systems which control large buildings.

I work in a cluster of buildings in central London totalling approximately 600,000 Square feet of Office, for which I maintain the Air-conditioning and lighting control systems. I work with a team of 25 mechanical and electrical engineers (because the control systems aren't the only thing s that go wrong), each of whom are vastly overqualified for the Janitor position you found.

Happily for me the Lighting control systems are all made by the same manufacturer, Simmtronic, The BMS systems sadly are from a variety of manufacturers and use a variety of communications protocols, Lonworks, BACNet, TCP/IP and each has it's own programming language and tools.
solar3000 wrote: Bwah! Ha ha!

You are one of the few people who answer everything.
Your signature line is true then. You really are an engineer.

http://dilbert.com/
I try to provide a full and helpful answer to any topic, someone who has posted a question could become frustrated if no one answers their query. Learning new things helps keep my mind active so If it's an interesting question I can often quickly find at least a partial answer.

I like to think that I'm an engineer (BMS engineer is my Job title) although I don't have a degree, just lots of practical experience (20 years since I finished my Apprenticeship) and a bucket load of manufacturers courses.
Doug.

morphy_richards

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:52 am

BMS Doug wrote:
solar3000 wrote:Of course "Building Management Systems Engineer" could be deceiving...
[...]

I like to think that I'm an engineer (BMS engineer is my Job title) although I don't have a degree, just lots of practical experience (20 years since I finished my Apprenticeship) and a bucket load of manufacturers courses.
Not just that, you go out of your way to help others. I remember a time you offered to meet me in London just to test a ~= £2 radio component I was struggling with. BMS ... Dude!

BMS Doug

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:18 am

morphy_richards wrote:
Not just that, you go out of your way to help others. I remember a time you offered to meet me in London just to test a ~= £2 radio component I was struggling with. BMS ... Dude!
Hardly out of my way, If I had offered to meet you in Birmingham that would be out of my way.
Doug.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:22 am

BMS Doug wrote: I like to think that I'm an engineer (BMS engineer is my Job title) although I don't have a degree, just lots of practical experience (20 years since I finished my Apprenticeship) and a bucket load of manufacturers courses.
Who needs a degree, I'm a software engineer I don't have a degree (just 35 years of practical experience).

I'm doing consultancy now, some days it really is "Give me your watch and I'll tell you the time".
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 am

Just as well this is in the Off Topic forum..............

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Going back a bit (I haven't commented on this thread in a while, though I have been reading it)...

I don't think people are running down the CHIP. They are just pointing out that $9 does not actually get you a generally usable device. Unless you are content with composite video, you need *at* *least* the VGA adapter, bringing the "board" cost to $19 (I'm ignoring shipping for this), and an HDMI adapter would bring it to $24. These prices are why I compare the CHIP to a Model A+.

solar3000

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:39 am

solar3000 wrote:[Mod: personal attacks, however formed, are NOT welcome here. Don't do it. ]
I don't know why the admins/mods are accusing me of personal attacks. I gave him a complement. It was a thank you not a personal attack.
You should ask before making a personal attack against me.
Antikythera

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:33 am

solar3000 wrote:
solar3000 wrote:[Mod: personal attacks, however formed, are NOT welcome here. Don't do it. ]
I don't know why the admins/mods are accusing me of personal attacks. I gave him a complement. It was a thank you not a personal attack.
Just a bit of--off topic even in this off topic thread--advice. Arguing with Forum Moderators in public is a not a good idea. It will not end well, and the moderator will win. If you have an issue with a mod, send a PM, and--above all--be polite and reasonable.

BMS Doug

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:32 am

solar3000 wrote:
Intent doesn't carry across very well on the internet. What you intend the post to be may not be how the people reading it interpret it.

I didn't report your post but it felt like an attack to me, saying that my claim to being an engineer could be based on me being a school Janitor. (Not that there is anything wrong with that profession, but it wouldn't suit me).
Doug.

jamesh

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:43 am

solar3000 wrote:
It read as an attack, whatever the intention. Hence the edit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

scruss

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:39 pm

They're pushing delivery to October: Pre-Order Shipping Updates & Scaling Up C.H.I.P. Production. My order from February is now promised in August, but this is not the first time they've delayed.

A couple of friends have the PocketCHIP (they were in on the Kickstarter) and it's quite a fun little machine:
  • 480 × 272 display
  • clicky calculator-ish keyboard and solid case
  • PICO-8
  • 5 hour battery
It would be nice to have a Raspberry Pi in a handheld format like this, so that, y'know, you could actually own one …
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:59 am

scruss wrote:They're pushing delivery to October: Pre-Order Shipping Updates & Scaling Up C.H.I.P. Production. My order from February is now promised in August, but this is not the first time they've delayed.

A couple of friends have the PocketCHIP (they were in on the Kickstarter) and it's quite a fun little machine:
  • 480 × 272 display
  • clicky calculator-ish keyboard and solid case
  • PICO-8
  • 5 hour battery
It would be nice to have a Raspberry Pi in a handheld format like this, so that, y'know, you could actually own one …
So when does your "PocketPi" KS campaign launch? :-)

scruss

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:08 am

I'd be the very last person who should run a kickstarter … but the PocketCHIP is an interesting form-factor.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

kusti8

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:21 am

scruss wrote:I'd be the very last person who should run a kickstarter … but the PocketCHIP is an interesting form-factor.
I think it's a cool form factor, but the charm of the Pi is making your own projects and I would much rather like people making their own Gameboy Zeros than buying a premade item for $70. It's cool, but that wears off and building it yourself ensures satisfaction and a certain love of the finished product.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

scruss

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:09 pm

kusti8 wrote:… building it yourself ensures satisfaction
If you can get it to work, that is. If you're a lone builder, you also get hit with the extra cost and complexity of sourcing parts in quantity one.

piglet

Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:07 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I'm doing consultancy now, some days it really is "Give me your watch and I'll tell you the time".
Ha! In the version I know the consultant then keeps your watch....

ealltech

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:03 am

As with most Kickstarters, it's not the basic engineering or the marketing that will be the problem. It's the production of a mass market device. The bit people always forget about.

Return to “Off topic discussion”